Military Braggarts

Every run across Military Braggarts? You know... the ones who lie about their "service" and what they have done, gained, earned? You the ones who somehow are in ever battle, saved everyone and killed everything in site? Wounded but have no scars, advanced skills that are never used? The pissant grunts who somehow turn into officers but have no stripes?

I am wondering what you think of the people who do this?

what about the ones who do not lie about their service but still brag/obsess about it?

They're almost as bad. As are the ones who belittle those that didn't/haven't served...But those who lie about it are definitely the worst....

The biggest moment in my life was getting pinned after initiation. I am sure it was for you as well. We had a YNC who was married to a Filipina. She, of course, prepared a nice batch of baluts for us. Truth serum was totally fucking disgusting, as was the "Fire In The Hole" box and the pig trough - where we had to eat through piles of shit looking for the anchors - that weren't in there! Had to bring 100 dollars in ones - sequentially numbered, of course

September 16th was the greatest effing day of my life.

They don't even call it initiation anymore so I guess we can talk about it. Balut ain't so bad if you add a little salt or hot sauce and a gallon of Mojo. Of course at initiation, that's not available. I was aboard ship during the process which made it better for sure. We got a message one day telling Command Master Chiefs not to use raw eggs during initiation. A copy was put in my box of course since it involved food sanitation. I screwed up big time and made sure the CO got a copy. The Master Chief handed me my ass for that little stunt and made sure I got plenty of raw eggs. I swallowed so many eggs I thought I was gonna shit a chicken. I have a video of the initiation. As the years went by and the process became neutered to the point of losing its meaning, I just stopped going and took a day off.

Every run across Military Braggarts? You know... the ones who lie about their "service" and what they have done, gained, earned? You the ones who somehow are in ever battle, saved everyone and killed everything in site? Wounded but have no scars, advanced skills that are never used? The pissant grunts who somehow turn into officers but have no stripes?

what about the ones who do not lie about their service but still brag/obsess about it?[/QUOTE
Not all scars are visible when they are dressed. Do you want to look at them naked to be sure?
Military Officers do not wear stripes. The only thing you know about Combat Veterans is that you are not one. When you address this issue, you make a complete ass of yourself.

I think you are misreading syrenn's intent. Or maybe I am but don't mind talking about it nevertheless.

I have a good friend who was a SEAL in Vietnam with 3 Purple Hearts.

Sometimes I give him a ride to the local VA hospital or go to the grocery store for him since he is disabled and in pretty bad physical shape.

Once he laughingly told me; "You realize that there only about 200 SEAL's that ever served in Vietnam"?

"And I have meet all 20,000 of them!!" :lol:

WW2 vets hardly ever mentioned their service. If at all.

It is only in modern times that the phenom of going on about your military service -or inventing it - has become trendy.

I am not military so not very versed in things like this. But even i can spot the braggarts... the story gets bigger as time goes on. I also don't feel that real military really talk about their service...they are quiet and reserved about it. The braggarts however just seem to go on and on about it.

Are they easy for you to spot? [/COLOR]

Most vets do not talk at length about these types of events with non-veterans: just don't. All vets, however, love to laugh and tell stories about the funny and quirky events that happened. My dad and grandfather did not talk with me about certain things until after I served my time. I then learned things (medals for valor) and events (landings, campaigns, etc) in which they served. They still did not go into specifics, except for once when my dad got very drunk (the only time I ever saw him like that). The day was the anniversary of VJ day, and he got to thinking about his comrades with whom he served in the Pacific during WWII.

Those who talk big are probably just wannabees.

Last edited:

It is only in modern times that the phenom of going on about your military service -or inventing it - has become trendy.

True. Same with Korea and Vietnam. My experience with those I know who saw the elephant up front and personal rarely bring up their experiences. When they have their eyes tell it is true, they don't glow with pride, they have that far away look - staring at something far away.

The biggest moment in my life was getting pinned after initiation. I am sure it was for you as well. We had a YNC who was married to a Filipina. She, of course, prepared a nice batch of baluts for us. Truth serum was totally fucking disgusting, as was the "Fire In The Hole" box and the pig trough - where we had to eat through piles of shit looking for the anchors - that weren't in there! Had to bring 100 dollars in ones - sequentially numbered, of course

September 16th was the greatest effing day of my life.

They don't even call it initiation anymore so I guess we can talk about it. Balut ain't so bad if you add a little salt or hot sauce and a gallon of Mojo. Of course at initiation, that's not available. I was aboard ship during the process which made it better for sure. We got a message one day telling Command Master Chiefs not to use raw eggs during initiation. A copy was put in my box of course since it involved food sanitation. I screwed up big time and made sure the CO got a copy. The Master Chief handed me my ass for that little stunt and made sure I got plenty of raw eggs. I swallowed so many eggs I thought I was gonna shit a chicken. I have a video of the initiation. As the years went by and the process became neutered to the point of losing its meaning, I just stopped going and took a day off.

Ditto on the eggs. We showed up at midnight 9/16/86 for sea bag inspection prior-to the commencement of the scavenger hunt, and were each served raw eggs and some sort of fish juice for breakfast. Was the start of a long, long day. I retired in 99 but stopped going to initiations around 95, as they weren't even initiations any more. All this "brother" and "sister" shit. It's so politically correct now, I bet they do little, if anything, that could be considered an initiation.

Today's Navy. Not like it used to be.

Military Officers do not wear stripes. The only thing you know about Combat Veterans is that you are not one. When you address this issue, you make a complete ass of yourself.

Hey shipmate - what'ya call that gold shit on a Naval Officer's shoulder boards? Or on the sleeves of their dress blues?

Scars are not always visible when Combat Vets have their clothes on.
Officers do not have stripes on their shoulders.
I take exception to idiots that malign grunts. I was a Marine Grunt in Vietnam and proud of it!.

Over all your statement tells me you have absolutely no knowledge of the military. Those of us who served in the Armed Forces know how to ferret out the phonies.

We have no use for irrelevant fools like you.

what about the ones who do not lie about their service but still brag/obsess about it?
Not all scars are visible when they are dressed. Do you want to look at them naked to be sure?

Are you speaking to me? I have never claimed to be military combat or otherwise, and i say so several posts up.

As far as i am concerned the only ones making asses out of themselves are the low life scum who try and pass themselves off as military or more then what they are.... trying to impress others and pad their egos.

There are basically two things that you can listen for to tell if a veteran is lying about his service.

1) They offer to or enthusiastically tell you about horrific things they experienced in broad detail.
2) They have answers for any and all of your questions regarding any and all aspects of any conflict at any given time.

I've run into a few of these at the VA and they come across, like most liars, as pompous and proud, grade a turds.

Yes, i have run across a few who fit that bill quite well. Even to me they sound false.

I think you are misreading syrenn's intent. Or maybe I am but don't mind talking about it nevertheless.

He is missing y point entirely. You, however understand it perfectly.

I never once heard my father or uncles speak of their time in the service.... not once.

I take exception to idiots that malign grunts. I was a Marine Grunt in Vietnam and proud of it!.

Over all your statement tells me you have absolutely no knowledge of the military. Those of us who served in the Armed Forces know how to ferret out the phonies.

Now we are getting somewhere along the lines of my OP.... good. Again...i make ZERO claim of being military.

And since you seem to know it all, maybe you can help....How do people who are not military..... ferret out the phonies? How do military ferret out the phonies. What do you think about these phonies.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jos
I have a good friend who was a SEAL in Vietnam with 3 Purple Hearts.

Sometimes I give him a ride to the local VA hospital or go to the grocery store for him since he is disabled and in pretty bad physical shape.

Once he laughingly told me; "You realize that there only about 200 SEAL's that ever served in Vietnam"?

"And I have meet all 20,000 of them!!" :lol:

Imagine that. How is it they all seem to be seals or rangers?

Hey asshole -- Syrenn has the utmost respect for vets - always has.

So shut the fuck up. You are out of line going after her.

I also already pointed out that Naval officers do indeed wear stripes on shoulder boards and on the sleeves of their SDB's.

I also pointed out my cousin served with F/2/7 in December 65 (contrary to who you said only served in 'Nam/incomplete/fucked-up, inaccurate list) and you didn't address that.

You Sir (cough) - are the fucking "military wanna be" poser of the year.

The only thing you served was a Mickey D #3 - Supersized for a welfare case

Now we are getting somewhere along the lines of my OP.... good. Again...i make ZERO claim of being military.

And since you seem to know it all, maybe you can help....How do people who are not military..... ferret out the phonies? How do military ferret out the phonies. What do you think about these phonies.

You, my dear, have ferret'd out a phony with this assclown.

Forum List

Back