Microsoft surface pro 7 tablet

Rocko

Platinum Member
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 30, 2011
NY
I’m not a computer geek first and foremost, but I like this tablet i bought. It runs windows 10, has one USB port, has a camera and microphone. It can run any application a desktop can. It only has about 128 gigs of space, but if I really wanted to I can buy an external hard drive. iPad sucks, Samsung tablets suck, the surface pro is cheaper and has an actual real operating system that is in wide use. Only downside is you have to purchase virus protection software, which isn’t that big of a deal. I highly recommend this product if you’re looking for a tablet.

I’m not a computer geek first and foremost, but I like this tablet i bought. It runs windows 10, has one USB port, has a camera and microphone. It can run any application a desktop can. It only has about 128 gigs of space, but if I really wanted to I can buy an external hard drive. iPad sucks, Samsung tablets suck, the surface pro is cheaper and has an actual real operating system that is in wide use. Only downside is you have to purchase virus protection software, which isn’t that big of a deal. I highly recommend this product if you’re looking for a tablet.
Is this the Microsoft Surface?

Yes. It’s pretty smooth. You can buy a keyboard with it for an extra $200. They say it also protects the screen in case you drop it. I passed on that. I take care of my belongings.

Yes. It’s pretty smooth. You can buy a keyboard with it for an extra $200. They say it also protects the screen in case you drop it. I passed on that. I take care of my belongings.

I bought a Lenovo Pro 10 Tab for about that same price. It has a 10.5 inch (touch) screen with 4 GB of RAM. Runs beautifully and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg. I mostly use it to listen to online radio and youtube. I use my laptop (also Lenovo) for my usual stuff.

I bought a Lenovo Pro 10 Tab for about that same price. It has a 10.5 inch (touch) screen with 4 GB of RAM. Runs beautifully and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg. I mostly use it to listen to online radio and youtube. I use my laptop (also Lenovo) for my usual stuff.
I've got one of those, too. Do you ever use the projector?
Lenovo stuff rocks.

Sounds like a great product for those with masters degrees in using Windows software!
??

Windows is by far the easiest OS for people to use. Linux is inherently difficult and Mac? Well the dozen people using the Mac OS are cultists who have spent decades following the Apple incantations (and never wondering why they have to jump through hoops to do even the simplest of tasks.)

Sounds like a great product for those with masters degrees in using Windows software!
??

Windows is by far the easiest OS for people to use. Linux is inherently difficult and Mac? Well the dozen people using the Mac OS are cultists who have spent decades following the Apple incantations (and never wondering why they have to jump through hoops to do even the simplest of tasks.)

1) "Windows is easiest for people to use"... no it isn't. Most people almost exclusively only use their browser to do everything they do on a computer. A browser is a browser. And Firefox/Chrome on Windows is the same as on Linux for 99.99% of anything 99.9% of the population use. As well as Linux is at the very least 5 times faster to boot, reboot and wake from sleep than Windows.
2) "Mac OS are cultist...." - no they are not. Historically MacOS was at least as buggy and bad as old Windows OS's. Today, they are pretty much even. Mac is way more expensive, but the hardware is superior. We have iMacs in the design department that are 13 years old. These are all-in-one machines. Used daily. Unlike Microsoft, Apple has not abandoned old systems after the Intel switch in 2007. The biggest problem with OSX is it tends to become slow and unstable if you haven't rebooted for awhile. To me, that spells memory leakage.

All in all, Windows is not superior. It simply isn't. It works, it is very stable etc. - but so are all of the others.

My take on Surface is it will eventually be abandoned by Microsoft. Because that is what they do.
Surface sales have slowly increased, but that isn't due to it being better... it is due to Apple's complacency. The iPad hasn't had a real upgrade in yeeeaaars. Much like all of the rest of their non phone hardware.
Apple isn't what it was under Jobs. Like him/hate him... when he controlled Apple, they were by far the most innovative tech company on earth. It isn't even close.
After Jobs.... they have been out sailing and rely on past success.

1) "Windows is easiest for people to use"... no it isn't. Most people almost exclusively only use their browser to do everything they do on a computer. A browser is a browser. And Firefox/Chrome on Windows is the same as on Linux for 99.99% of anything 99.9% of the population use. As well as Linux is at the very least 5 times faster to boot, reboot and wake from sleep than Windows.

Windows 95 is gone dude.

Your claims of boot times are false - and irrelevant. Ubuntu on my 4 year old Surface Book (most current build) takes about 90 seconds to boot, Windows 10 takes less than 10 seconds.

But as I said, this is irrelevant, once I boot to Ubuntu I'll just sleep until I switch back over to Windows, meaning instant on. IF all you do is browse the web, then you're probably better off getting a Raspberry Pi and saving some money.

As for an OS, yes Windows is the easiest to use for novice users. It is vastly more intuitive than the mess that is OSX, and even more graceful than Gnome (though Gnome has made great strides.)

2) "Mac OS are cultist...." - no they are not. Historically MacOS was at least as buggy and bad as old Windows OS's. Today, they are pretty much even. Mac is way more expensive, but the hardware is superior. We have iMacs in the design department that are 13 years old. These are all-in-one machines. Used daily. Unlike Microsoft, Apple has not abandoned old systems after the Intel switch in 2007. The biggest problem with OSX is it tends to become slow and unstable if you haven't rebooted for awhile. To me, that spells memory leakage.

All in all, Windows is not superior. It simply isn't. It works, it is very stable etc. - but so are all of the others.

OSX holds around 2% of the market at the moment. Yes, Mac has about 10%, but most macbooks boot to Windows. Since Apple uses FoxConn boards and Intel processors it's flat out stupid to claim "superior hardware." (There's that cult thing!) And abandon old systems? WTF are you yapping about? If I want to run DOS 1.0 I can, easily. With replaceable parts, old PC's can last indefinitely. The beast on my desk with the RTX3080 was first purchased in 2004. Of course nothing inside of it is the same - even the water pump had to be replaced. But that's the beauty of PC's, I can upgrade everything as I desire. Not so with most Mac's - a 14 year old iMac has a 4200 RPM drive with 100gb and that's all it will ever have.

Windows 10 is getting as bad as Apple. I had a new install yesterday pop up an ad for Office365 (I have a corporate server to push office) when the user clicked start - intrusive and sleazy - Apple level shit.

I LOVE Microsoft hardware - the Surface Pro's and Books are the best portable computers on the market, hands down. If Apple figures out how touch screens work then the MacBook Pro might catch up, but for the moment the Surface Book kicks the shit out of it.

I don't love Microsoft. I used Linux exclusively for years. But facts are facts, and Windows 10 is just a better OS.

Windows 95 is gone dude.

Your claims of boot times are false - and irrelevant. Ubuntu on my 4 year old Surface Book (most current build) takes about 90 seconds to boot, Windows 10 takes less than 10 seconds.

But as I said, this is irrelevant, once I boot to Ubuntu I'll just sleep until I switch back over to Windows, meaning instant on. IF all you do is browse the web, then you're probably better off getting a Raspberry Pi and saving some money.

As for an OS, yes Windows is the easiest to use for novice users. It is vastly more intuitive than the mess that is OSX, and even more graceful than Gnome (though Gnome has made great strides.)

OSX holds around 2% of the market at the moment. Yes, Mac has about 10%, but most macbooks boot to Windows. Since Apple uses FoxConn boards and Intel processors it's flat out stupid to claim "superior hardware." (There's that cult thing!) And abandon old systems? WTF are you yapping about? If I want to run DOS 1.0 I can, easily. With replaceable parts, old PC's can last indefinitely. The beast on my desk with the RTX3080 was first purchased in 2004. Of course nothing inside of it is the same - even the water pump had to be replaced. But that's the beauty of PC's, I can upgrade everything as I desire. Not so with most Mac's - a 14 year old iMac has a 4200 RPM drive with 100gb and that's all it will ever have.

Windows 10 is getting as bad as Apple. I had a new install yesterday pop up an ad for Office365 (I have a corporate server to push office) when the user clicked start - intrusive and sleazy - Apple level shit.

I LOVE Microsoft hardware - the Surface Pro's and Books are the best portable computers on the market, hands down. If Apple figures out how touch screens work then the MacBook Pro might catch up, but for the moment the Surface Book kicks the shit out of it.

I don't love Microsoft. I used Linux exclusively for years. But facts are facts, and Windows 10 is just a better OS.
:rolleyes: :lol:

Funny stuff. You don't think I have Win10?
Win 10 is painfully slow to boot unless you have an SDD.
Surface is a piece of hardware designed to run Windows on. There are issues with Linux on Surface, and that is not Linux's "fault". You think M$ will given them code so it helps them run better on it?
If there was tablet designed for Linux, I guarantee you Windows would also have issues on it, if it ran at all. Probably not.
I can link 10 articles by legitimate industry opinions that say iPad is better, because Surface doesn't have a native OS built specifically for it.
But then, I can also link articles by others that say Surface is better.
Either way - neither "kicks the shit" out of the other. That just shows bias.

Last edited:
Thanks... I've been wanting to try one but first wanted to talk to somebody who owned one.... I have been more or less addicted to the samsung tablets but they seem to be lacking in flexibility as you mentioned and samsung makes you join their stupid store like apple does....I don't like that at all.
Soooooo having read you review I think I know what I am going to do for a tablet next...thanks

JO

:rolleyes: :lol:

Funny stuff. You don't think I have Win10?
Win 10 is painfully slow to boot unless you have an SDD.
Surface is a piece of hardware designed to run Windows on. There are issues with Linux on Surface, and that is not Linux's "fault". You think M$ will given them code so it helps them run better on it?
If there was tablet designed for Linux, I guarantee you Windows would also have issues on it, if it ran at all. Probably not.
I can link 10 articles by legitimate industry opinions that say iPad is better, because Surface doesn't have a native OS built specifically for it.
But then, I can also link articles by others that say Surface is better.
Either way - neither "kicks the shit" out of the other. That just shows bias.
Microsoft is a prick when it comes to sharing....they sabotage things without telling people...
I grabbed a hard copy of office 2007 which I love but when I run it on an online machine MS constantly harasses me to rent the latest version.... ( which isn't worth the money frankly....2007 has all the bells and whistles I could possibly need including advanced math apps in the spread sheet set up ) so to shut them up I have one computer set up offline with 2007 installed so I can work without being constantly bothered by Microsoft....

Microsoft is a prick when it comes to sharing....they sabotage things without telling people...
I grabbed a hard copy of office 2007 which I love but when I run it on an online machine MS constantly harasses me to rent the latest version.... ( which isn't worth the money frankly....2007 has all the bells and whistles I could possibly need including advanced math apps in the spread sheet set up ) so to shut them up I have one computer set up offline with 2007 installed so I can work without being constantly bothered by Microsoft....
$99 a year for 5 licenses?

Yeah, Office 365 is well worth it - $20 for a premier, and the standard, of office products.

I agree the advertising is annoying. It can be turned off though.

Thanks... I've been wanting to try one but first wanted to talk to somebody who owned one.... I have been more or less addicted to the samsung tablets but they seem to be lacking in flexibility as you mentioned and samsung makes you join their stupid store like apple does....I don't like that at all.
Soooooo having read you review I think I know what I am going to do for a tablet next...thanks

JO
I think you’ll be happy with it

Why would you need to purchase anti-virus software? :dunno:

Why would you need to purchase anti-virus software? :dunno:
I was told I have to. I brought for my desktop and laptop too. I buy a membership to geek squad and that covers the price of antivirus software for all my devices. I’m probably paying more than I should, but I’m not an expert on computers, and there’s a convenience factor

Forum List

Back