Opinion: re Windows 7:

MikeK

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2010
Brick, New Jersey
My Acer XP desktop dropped dead suddenly about three months ago. Based on opinions I'd read about Windows 8 I steered clear of it and bought another Acer with Windows 7.

I am now fully familiar with the 7 operating system. It isn't that much different from XP but it does seem to be more intuitive and it has a few pleasant surprises, such as a large cache of built-in drivers for currently available printers and scanners. Everything I plugged into it (via USB), scanner, printer, camera, was readily accepted without my having to install any drivers.

Bottom line is I like Windows 7. Microsoft apparently has addressed a lot of the quirks in former versions and gotten rid of them. I'm glad (and lucky) I avoided Windows 8 and I hope Microsoft leaves us alone for a few years now. I further hope Windows 8 is not a harbinger of what they have in mind for future versions of Windows.

One thing I want to say about Acer is while I've heard it is excellent hardware my Acer XP was the only system I've ever had go bad -- and I've had quite a few systems over the years, most of which were built for me by a local geek shop, including one Windows 98 and one Windows 98SE, both of which are still in use by my grandchildren who leave them on for days at a time.

Last edited:
I have a Gateway with XP that I need to get rid of. Bought it and never used it. My other XP machines just keep on ticking.

I've learned over a life of owning windows products to go ahead and spend the money on anti-virus, anti-spyware, and whatever else you can get. After spending an extra $150 or so on protecting your fragile windows software it should treat you just fine.

I also can't wait to buy a Mac that will run for years without any of that BS.

Forum List

Back