Memo to Trump Backers: The Rules Permit a Brokered Convention

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
Memo to Trump Backers: The Rules Permit a Brokered Convention, by Jonah Goldberg, National Review

When losing to the star of a reality TV show, is it really so crazy to resort to reality-show tactics to defeat him? I’m not referring to Marco Rubio’s decision to fight fire with fire with Donald Trump and return insult for insult. I, for one, thought it was wholly appropriate for Rubio to give the schoolyard bully a taste of his own medicine. The evidence shows that Rubio’s attacks, while tardy, paid off.

Voters not already enraptured with Trump are open to persuasion, and late deciders broke disproportionately for Rubio on Super Tuesday in most races. Indeed, once again, most voters voted against Trump, not for him, and that’s where reality-show tactics come in. Not counting Top Chef and Naked and Afraid, I’m not a big fan of reality shows, but I’ve watched my share of Survivor, The Bachelor, and even Trump’s own personal propaganda series, The Apprentice. It seems to me that in many of these shows, the game is played the same way: Groups form alliances. Sometimes these alliances are formal, often they are tacit and voluntary — but they are all temporary.

At the end of the season, the winner is the guy or gal who was in the right alliance until the alliance no longer served his or her needs. Fans may be happy or disappointed based on who emerges, but it’s silly to say that Tiffany stole the Bachelor from Rhonda. That’s simply how the game is played. Well, welcome to the big leagues. Trump has been playing the game all along, and now that he’s ahead, he doesn’t think anyone should be allowed to change their tactics to beat him.

If this had been a two-person race from the beginning — as the Democratic race has been since Iowa — Trump would probably be as far behind as Bernie Sanders is. But Trump took advantage of the fact that the Republican field was so divided for so long. Nothing wrong with that. But there’s also nothing wrong with trying to stop Trump. Alliances are part of the game. The delegate system allows for it. And that’s why Mitt Romney’s advice in his powerful anti-Trump speech Thursday was entirely valid. If you’re against Trump and you live in Ohio, vote for John Kasich. If you’re against Trump in Florida, vote for Rubio. If you’re against Trump in a state where Ted Cruz is ahead, vote for Cruz.

Read more at: Memo to Trump Backers: The Rules Permit a Brokered Convention, by Jonah Goldberg, National Review

I am not part of the "establishment" as anyone who knows me on this forum can attest to.

I am a conservative and I have been unhappy with everything that has happened in our country since 2008. I hated the bail-outs, I hated porkulus bill, I hated Obamacare, and I hate the fact that our country's economy has been in the dumpster for eight years and no one in Washington seems to care.

To Trump supporters, I am as angry as you are. But this is not the time to elect a man who will pick up where Obama left off and rule this nation like a dictator with secret executive orders.

We need someone else, someone will respect the Constitution, and not seek to turn the Presidential office into an Imperial dictatorship.

It is almost too late to save our nation from Trump. Those of us who are still sane need to work together to stop him.

I loathe a party that doesn't allow one of its members to change their positions or have flexible positions. I loathe a party that is so rigid that it won't allow one person to change a position without exiling them from the ideologies the party supports. And that is exactly what the Republican Party is doing to Donald Trump.

I once heard they valued "free and independent thought," but when they're uniting against one person who believes differently than they do on a few issues, to stop him instead of the one person they SHOULD be uniting to stop, they don't value free and independent thought whatsoever.

If they change the winner in convention.............even though the primaries are not over............they hand the election to Hillary.

You liberals are really counting on the fact he will not have enough delegates. We are not even close to that point because if he has the delegates NO brokered convention.

It would be better to go down fighting then to give it up to Trump. If Trump wins, the country will never recover.

It would be better to go down fighting then to give it up to Trump. If Trump wins, the country will never recover.
Doubtful..............Let's say he's pulling a fast one..........which is possible............the other checks and balances are still there.............

If they change the winner in convention.............even though the primaries are not over............they hand the election to Hillary.

They handed the election to Hillary long ago. Other than the right's hard core base, who is going to vote for a party who thinks penis size is a valid point for debate? Hang it up and try again in four years. This one is already done.

12718233_1014820495220484_5019632142743160092_n.png

A brokered convention ensures a Democrat win. Even I would probably vote for the most liberal offering out there because if a nation is doomed we might as well get on with it and get it over with as quickly as possible.

They handed the election to Hillary long ago. Other than the right's hard core base, who is going to vote for a party who thinks penis size is a valid point for debate? Hang it up and try again in four years. This one is already done.
LOL............elections have gotten out of control before..........it's another blood bath for politics.................people have short memories.............they really do............Your side has used the slogans before with success.........and it can be done in reverse............

Yours is an opinion as is mine.....................they are not the gospel truth.

A brokered convention is a good time to test out a third party because the Republicans will lose anyway. What's a good name for this third party?

Republicans have a system for picking their candidate. As long as they stick to the rules, I wouldn't have a problem with a brokered convention.

The delegate count for Cruz and Rubio together is greater than Trumps. If this holds true for the convention and if Cruz + Rubio reaches the number of delegates to win, we may see a Cruz/Rubio Ticket running in the general election. This should be considered perfectly fair according to the republican conference rules. On the other hand, Trump, being the best deal maker in the world, may make a deal with Rubio and run on the Trump/Rubio Ticket. I find it hard to imagine the latter happening considering all the mud slung between Trump and Rubio.........but this is politics. Politicians can be very forgiving when it's in their interest to do so.

Forum List

Back