Medical marijuana

And I didn't say ALL natural remedies were better, did I? but the poster I responded too eleded that ALL man made drugs were superior than something found in nature. If you thought I was talking about those kinds of chemicals you described, you are seriously mistaken. I was talking about benign treatments like those practiced in Chinese herbal medicine or what the indigenous peoples of South America use.

I think a little a little pot brownie would have been much better for pregnant women with morning sickness than taking Thalidomide, don't you?

LOL.

I don't know specifically to what substances you are referring, but I'm guessing the vast majority of those also have a poor benefit to risk ratio.

And your analogy is not a good one. I can think of any number of naturally occurring compounds that are more toxic than thalidomide. And for certain disorders, thalidomide is vastly superior to pot brownies.

Actually the Chinese have survived forever & the South American peoples who have not been exposed to 'modern man' have gotten along quite nicely & also have survived without the need for 'better living thru chemistry'. A lot of medicines first came about using plants from the rain forest, but have fallen by the wayside for cheaper, easily obtained substances made in the lab- thus raising the profit factor for those drug companies.

Well, perhaps in the case of leprosy, you are correct about the use of thalidomide... but not for a far more common ailment of morning sickness AS i have stated. If cannibinol, the active compound in marijuana, had no medicinal value- the US Government wouldn't bother holding a patent on it, now would they? the FDA & big Pharma are in bed together & there's a reason why it's not being marketed... ie...not as much profit to be made.

The Chinese have shorter lifespans than Americans. Not sure any of them have lasted 'forever'.

The South Americans who have not been exposed to modern man also have quite short lifespans.

Again, the drugs that are in plants are vastly improved by a bit of medicinal chemistry, boosting both their efficacy and lessening their toxicity. Nature generally doesnt place compounds in plants to make you feel better... they are usually in there to discourage you (or more likely, other thngs) from eating them.

Cannabinol may have medicinal value. The only way to know is to do extensive studies. Anecdotes are suggestive, but not that helpful, especially if you want to compare it to rigorously tested modern drugs.

Yep, The profit motive for looking at THC is minimal, and we probably wont get real extensive data for a lot of things. But the absence of evidence is not evidence. And history tells us that there are lots of nasty surprises when you use drugs without extensive studies.
They've been studying marijuana for nearly a century, (if not longer). It's the most "studied" drug in the world. Problem is, the only goals they have had until recently were to find something WRONG with it. NOW they are finding that it has many beneficial uses. Oops!

Cannabis reduces tumor growth in study

Not really. Just seeing how patients do on a drug isnt really rigorously 'studying it' and its not even close to being the 'most studied drug in the world' since most medical research on the drug has been banned for the last fifty years or so. It used to be very, very hard to do any type of study using marijuana. Now its just very hard- its still a federal Schedule 1 drug, you know.

And I wouldnt get real excited about tumor growth reductions. Those studies tend to be pretty specific about concentrations and specific compounds - what they really do is define the roles of certain receptors in tumor growth, which can be helpful.

Cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants

Abstract

Cannabinoids have been found to have antioxidant properties, unrelated to NMDA receptor antagonism. This new found property makes cannabinoids useful in the treatment and prophylaxis of wide variety of oxidation associated diseases, such as ischemic, age-related, inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. The cannabinoids are found to have particular application as neuroprotectants, for example in limiting neurological damage following ischemic insults, such as stroke and trauma, or in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and HIV dementia. Nonpsychoactive cannabinoids, such as cannabidoil, are particularly advantageous to use because they avoid toxicity that is encountered with psychoactive cannabinoids at high doses useful in the method of the present invention. A particular disclosed class of cannabinoids useful as neuroprotective antioxidants is formula (I) wherein the R group is independently selected from the group consisting of H, CH.sub.3, and COCH.sub.3. ##STR1##

United States Patent: 6630507

60 Peer-Reviewed Studies on Medical Marijuana
Medical Studies Involving Cannabis and Cannabis Extracts (1990 - 2014)
60 Peer-Reviewed Studies on Medical Marijuana - Medical Marijuana - ProCon.org

Clinical Studies and Case Reports
On this site you will find clinical studies with cannabis or single cannabinoids in different diseases and case reports on the use of cannabis by patients.
You may search for diseases (indications), authors, medication, study design (controlled study, open trial, case report etc.) and other criteria.

Studies and Case Reports (additional link within the website above)

Beeinflussung des Krebswachstums durch Dronabinol

Last edited:
I don't know specifically to what substances you are referring, but I'm guessing the vast majority of those also have a poor benefit to risk ratio.

And your analogy is not a good one. I can think of any number of naturally occurring compounds that are more toxic than thalidomide. And for certain disorders, thalidomide is vastly superior to pot brownies.

Actually the Chinese have survived forever & the South American peoples who have not been exposed to 'modern man' have gotten along quite nicely & also have survived without the need for 'better living thru chemistry'. A lot of medicines first came about using plants from the rain forest, but have fallen by the wayside for cheaper, easily obtained substances made in the lab- thus raising the profit factor for those drug companies.

Well, perhaps in the case of leprosy, you are correct about the use of thalidomide... but not for a far more common ailment of morning sickness AS i have stated. If cannibinol, the active compound in marijuana, had no medicinal value- the US Government wouldn't bother holding a patent on it, now would they? the FDA & big Pharma are in bed together & there's a reason why it's not being marketed... ie...not as much profit to be made.

The Chinese have shorter lifespans than Americans. Not sure any of them have lasted 'forever'.

The South Americans who have not been exposed to modern man also have quite short lifespans.

Again, the drugs that are in plants are vastly improved by a bit of medicinal chemistry, boosting both their efficacy and lessening their toxicity. Nature generally doesnt place compounds in plants to make you feel better... they are usually in there to discourage you (or more likely, other thngs) from eating them.

Cannabinol may have medicinal value. The only way to know is to do extensive studies. Anecdotes are suggestive, but not that helpful, especially if you want to compare it to rigorously tested modern drugs.

Yep, The profit motive for looking at THC is minimal, and we probably wont get real extensive data for a lot of things. But the absence of evidence is not evidence. And history tells us that there are lots of nasty surprises when you use drugs without extensive studies.
They've been studying marijuana for nearly a century, (if not longer). It's the most "studied" drug in the world. Problem is, the only goals they have had until recently were to find something WRONG with it. NOW they are finding that it has many beneficial uses. Oops!

Not really. Just seeing how patients do on a drug isnt really rigorously 'studying it' and its not even close to being the 'most studied drug in the world' since most medical research on the drug has been banned for the last fifty years or so. It used to be very, very hard to do any type of study using marijuana. Now its just very hard- its still a federal Schedule 1 drug, you know.

And I wouldnt get real excited about tumor growth reductions. Those studies tend to be pretty specific about concentrations and specific compounds - what they really do is define the roles of certain receptors in tumor growth, which can be helpful.

Abstract

Cannabinoids have been found to have antioxidant properties, unrelated to NMDA receptor antagonism. This new found property makes cannabinoids useful in the treatment and prophylaxis of wide variety of oxidation associated diseases, such as ischemic, age-related, inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. The cannabinoids are found to have particular application as neuroprotectants, for example in limiting neurological damage following ischemic insults, such as stroke and trauma, or in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and HIV dementia. Nonpsychoactive cannabinoids, such as cannabidoil, are particularly advantageous to use because they avoid toxicity that is encountered with psychoactive cannabinoids at high doses useful in the method of the present invention. A particular disclosed class of cannabinoids useful as neuroprotective antioxidants is formula (I) wherein the R group is independently selected from the group consisting of H, CH.sub.3, and COCH.sub.3. ##STR1##

On this site you will find clinical studies with cannabis or single cannabinoids in different diseases and case reports on the use of cannabis by patients.
You may search for diseases (indications), authors, medication, study design (controlled study, open trial, case report etc.) and other criteria.

So?

Antioxidants are the biggest health food scam ever, and neuroprotectant properties are simple to show in cell cultures, but consistently fail in humans. I've worked with many of them.

Antioxidants are found to be usually either worthless or harmful - and when you hear that, or 'boosts your immune system' thats the biggest red flag in the world.

Abstract

So?

Antioxidants are the biggest health food scam ever, and neuroprotectant properties are simple to show in cell cultures, but consistently fail in humans. I've worked with many of them.

Antioxidants are found to be usually either worthless or harmful - and when you hear that, or 'boosts your immune system' thats the biggest red flag in the world.

Have you ever paid attention to the side effects of the drug ads on TV?
I LOVE the ones that say 'may cause death'
Give me a break...

Abstract

So?

Give me a break...
I only will take the ones that give you permanent damage to the rectum and spleen..

Abstract

So?

Give me a break...

I do more than pay attention to them. I'm involved in the language around what they say, for both safety and efficacy of the drugs. I'm a pharmacologist by training. And death is an adverse effect of many drugs. Natural products often have an increased incidence of things like death, too. They just dont have to say it on TV, so the foolish think 'natural' means 'safe'.

Links?

Links?
Links for what? It's all readily searchable on the Google.

Abstract

So?

Give me a break...

I do more than pay attention to them. I'm involved in the language around what they say, for both safety and efficacy of the drugs. I'm a pharmacologist by training. And death is an adverse effect of many drugs. Natural products often have an increased incidence of things like death, too. They just dont have to say it on TV, so the foolish think 'natural' means 'safe'.
Or so you say.

Links?
You made the claim, you provide the links.

Links?

If I recall, YOU made the claim that it was 'the most researched drug in history'. Didn't see a link.

Links?

If I recall, YOU made the claim that it was 'the most researched drug in history'. Didn't see a link.
You didn't ask for one but you've made a lot of claims without one single link.

There’s Been Over 20,000 Studies On Marijuana; What Is It That Scientists ‘Do Not Yet Know?’ | NORML Blog, Marijuana Law Reform

Marijuana Backed By More Studies Than Most Pharma Drugs

Links?

There’s Been Over 20,000 Studies On Marijuana; What Is It That Scientists ‘Do Not Yet Know?’ | NORML Blog, Marijuana Law Reform

Brain

Brain
You don't have anything, do you?

Brain

i have read that cannabis can have effects on suppressing the immune system

which may be good for things like psoriasis

but on the other hand increases the risk of certain types of cancers

Brain

That may be, but shit, If we made everything that increases the risk of cancer illegal, the grocery stores would be full of empty shelves.

Brain

That may be, but shit, If we made everything that increases the risk of cancer illegal, the grocery stores would be full of empty shelves.

sometimes your immune system is what keeps cancers at bay

suppressing it is not always wise

I've know more stoners in my life, and I never care to even associate with any of them again, ever. What a complete bunch of losers. They are untrustworthy, uninitiated, unloyal, and unethical. They only care about themselves and their next high. I don't care what anyone says, smoking dope does lead to harder drugs. It offers no real medicinal value whatsoever, and those who say it does are just deceiving themselves into believing "it" helps. It does NOT.
If you let,alcohol, sex,gambling, food......... Get the best of you yep your a mess,as far a value medically, you havnt a clue.

Don't even go there! You haven't a clue what I've been through, so don't speculate on what I've dealt with medically. Tried it as I was desperate for relief, so I DO know first hand. Claiming it helps is just an excuse, and if there were evidence it did, the medical community would embrace it, which they do not.
I live the evidence evey day,ever single day ,I would suffer more without it,why would you take that from someone,what excuse do you have?

sometimes your immune system is what keeps cancers at bay

suppressing it is not always wise
But thanks to politics, there's been so much disinformation we don't know what is true and what isn't.

Brain
Besides 30 years experience in pharmacology?

Brain

I never said make it illegal.

But let's not pretend it's some cure all medication. It's a recreational drug that can make some people feel better.

Forum List

Back