Mecum Collector Car Auction...

Canon Shooter

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2020
Every January I head down to the Mecum Collector Car Auction down in Kissimmee. As I normally do every year, I'll attend on a media credential this year, but I'll also have a bidder's badge this time around. Looking at a couple of vehicles, including:

This 1980 RSD Toyota Land Cruiser:

1980 Toyota Land Cruiser Troopy

I know a couple of people who are already planning to bid on the Land Cruiser, so I might opt out in lieu of one of these:

This 2017 Mercedes-Benz AMG GT:

2017 Mercedes Benz AMG GT

Or this 2013 Aston-Martin Vantage Convertible:

2013 Aston Martin Vantage Convertible

I've gone as a bidder in the past, and the best deals are to be found during the week. More bidders are on hand on the weekend so prices, especially on the no-reserve cars, can go ridiculously high.

We'll see what happens...

That's cool! Are you a car collector or do you buy and sell for profit?

I'll buy a car, drive it for a while, and then sell it if I get bored with it. That said, the Toyota is a truck I've wanted for a long time so, if I'm fortunate enough to get it, it could very well be a truck I die with...

I've had to quit watching the Mecum Car Auction on TV because once the show was over, I was in a state of depression for the rest of the day.
Many of those cars are ones that owned and drove in my youth, especially the 60's muscle cars. Back then purchased a nice 67 Vette for $700 when I discharged from the army. Heck, in those days you could buy them brand new for around $3,000 bucks. Now they sell for astronomical prices. If I had only kept a few of the many cars I've owned over the years and sold them today. My bank account would be stuffed full of cash. ... :cool:

I've had to quit watching the Mecum Car Auction on TV because once the show was over, I was in a state of depression for the rest of the day.
Many of those cars are ones that owned and drove in my youth, especially the 60's muscle cars. Back then purchased a nice 67 Vette for $700 when I discharged from the army. Heck, in those days you could buy them brand new for around $3,000 bucks. Now they sell for astronomical prices. If I had only kept a few of the many cars I've owned over the years and sold them today. My bank account would be stuffed full of cash. ... :cool:

At the end of 1964, my Dad bought a 1965 Plymouth Belvedere for right around $2,400 (I still have the receipt). That's back when a radio was listed as an option. There's going to be a 1965 Plymouth Belvedere going across the block next week at Mecum, and it's expected to fetch $50-$60K.

The first time I attended, there was a 2006 Mini Cooper, with 4,800 original miles, which sold for $4,400. Had I been a registered bidder I'd have bought it just because...

Agreed. Though I don’t get depressed about. I love seeing the old cars.

My father was a Chrysler executive. So, I tended to lean toward Mopars. The best ones I owned were a 1968 Dodge Charger 440 RT. Not particularly fast since it was an automatic, but what a beautiful car. I bought it from the original owner and it was in perfect shape in 1975. I also had a 1973 Dodge Challenger RT with the six pack and four speed. That car was fun.

Every January I head down to the Mecum Collector Car Auction down in Kissimmee. As I normally do every year, I'll attend on a media credential this year, but I'll also have a bidder's badge this time around. Looking at a couple of vehicles, including:

I know a couple of people who are already planning to bid on the Land Cruiser, so I might opt out in lieu of one of these:

I've gone as a bidder in the past, and the best deals are to be found during the week. More bidders are on hand on the weekend so prices, especially on the no-reserve cars, can go ridiculously high.

I don’t care for the Toyota, but the other two are awesome. Please let us know how it goes.

I’m planning on attending the auction next year.

I don’t care for the Toyota, but the other two are awesome. Please let us know how it goes.

I’m planning on attending the auction next year.

If the Land Cruiser wasn't a right-hand drive, I'd be far less interested in it. Right-side drive models are pretty rare here in the States...

My car in high school was a clean 57 Chevy bel air 2 door that I paid $500 bucks for. Today if you wanted one. You'd have to add at least a couple of zero's to that figure. ... :cool:
A buddy of mine who lived across the street from my family home in the 70s, has a 1957 Bel Air convertible. He bought it cheap in about 1975, as it was in rough ship. It took him years, but he completely restored it to perfect condition. He also owns a 1966 Cadillac Coupe Deville convertible, that he also fully restored. He also has a 1970 Cuda 440 4 Speed.

Unlike you and me, he kept these cars all these years. The total value of these three cars has to be considerable.

Heartbreaking but true:

Fella in Rhode Island had an old factory building (long in his family) that was disused. In the 1940's he bought old vehicles that he thought were fun. He stuffed 'em in the old building in no particular order. Some pretty strange. One of the best was a White painted Model T Ford Hearse. There were several 1920s fire trucks, notably one Ahrens-Fox with the big brass pressure equalizing ball on the front-mounted pump. Several Grahams; one British "Standard" (right outta "All Creatures Great & Small) and a Lincoln touring car that looked like a roofless tour bus. He particularly liked a (I may be spelling this wrong) Haynes-Apperson made from a little steel and a lot of wood. Hard to say how much wood because the rot from the vehicle being under a collapsed chicken coop made it hard to estimate.

He died.

The city government condemned the building and seized it to build a riverside park. They never opened the door. Just knocked all down with bulldozers and hauled it all to a "landfill" at great expense.

Democrat regime, of course, but for Rhode Island.....just a normal day.

A few of those vehicles were the last of their kind.

My 1978 Regency with 12,000 verified original.
047.JPG
048.JPG

I owned a 1973 Delta 88 two door hardtop. What a great car. Had the Rocket 350. Very smooth and quiet boat of a car.

//

You can watch it live on the MotorTrend Channel, starting today at noon and for the rest of the week.

That's what I'll be doing since I'll be stuck in the cave.

Last year the 10 day auction sold over $122 million.

Around 200 really sweet cars are up for sale this year in Kissimmee.

Forum List

Back