McCarthy likely short of Speaker votes...

Don't tell anyone...but I expect McCarthy will eventually get the votes...but the price will be steep.

Watch for the Freedom Caucus to extract more concessions and for McCarthy to remain in constant jeopardy of losing the Speakership.

As long as we can strong-arm him onto the straight and narrow, he may be palatable.

Meaning McCarthy will be a weak Speaker with no ability to gain consensus among the caucus

Makes one appreciate what Pelosi was able to accomplish

Meaning McCarthy will be a weak Speaker with no ability to gain consensus among the caucus

Makes one appreciate what Pelosi was able to accomplish
Well... That depends on what legislation he brings to the floor.

But I'll will certainly give credit where credit is due... Pelosi was very good at getting the votes. There were some missteps...but they were the exception.

The kneeling photo op and the tasting of the SOTU speech come to mind.

...so how does that add up to 218 votes?
The way I understand it, there are 222 republicans and 212 if you have 14 hold outs 222 - 14 equal 208 and we aren't talking about total of members, we are talking about total voting.

I've been saying since election day that Democrats should vote for retiring Republican Fred Upton. They would only need 5 moderate Republicans to join them. That would fuck McCarthy AND the domestic terrorist wing.

The way I understand it, there are 222 republicans and 212 if you have 14 hold outs 222 - 14 equal 208 and we aren't talking about total of members, we are talking about total voting.
My understanding is that the Speaker needs to get to 218 or they keep voting. Its not a "plurality" that wins.

So If he fails the vote, you guys could get a Democrat minority member as speaker for the Republican majority house, if all the Dems get behind one guy? That would be hilarious.:auiqs.jpg:
I don't understand politics to begin with, but I really don't know what they think they're getting out of this.

It's like they have to pose for the camera. Play the game. Pro wrestling. How do purity tests like this help them?

McCarthy has never impressed me with his competence. I'm not surprised he's not getting much support.

That said, I see this as the far right using their position to get their views integrated into the official House platform. From what I've read, that's been working, as McCarthy keeps bending farther over and over to the far right. They're not done with him yet, though I think they will eventually concede him the seat. I mean, this is the work of about 15 Representatives; who else out there is going to get the support of the other 207?

The other person who wants to keep this going: George Santos. He becomes a lot less useful to McCarthy once this gets settled.

Well... That depends on what legislation he brings to the floor.

Oh, I don't think there's much to be left to the imagination...

Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 5.52.02 AM.jpg

7679hv.jpg

As usual and historically speaking, "Unity" = BOHICA

Ah well.

People get what they deserve...

Seeing a weakened GOP leader is good for the Democrats.

As a liberal, the only game in town is the DNC so it's good for me to have the GOP in disarray. It would be nice to see a moderate party emerge from both major parties though....perhaps they could actually get a coalition to run the House. But that would require something bizarre and likely not in abundance in the Congress....maturity! At any rate, Congress needs to take back some power from the Executive.

I am an independent, so gridlock is not altogether a bad thing. Doesn't the speaker decide what committees bills go to, to live or die and have some control in committee assignments?
I ask that as a serious question, not knowing the answer.

Independent of what?

I am an independent, so gridlock is not altogether a bad thing. Doesn't the speaker decide what committees bills go to, to live or die and have some control in committee assignments?
I ask that as a serious question, not knowing the answer.
All of that gridlock and we have toddlers in schools that can be butt phuked.

Forum List

Back