McCarthy likely short of Speaker votes...

I don't understand politics to begin with, but I really don't know what they think they're getting out of this.

It's like they have to pose for the camera. Play the game. Pro wrestling. How do purity tests like this help them?
Well, in all seriousness, there won't be a Dem running it, but there is nothing to say the party in power cannot be so dysfunctional that it will even be decided today, though naming on the first day back is traditional. McCarthy has offered the extreme right wing (now I understand the holdouts are down to 7 or 8 instead of 14) all sorts of control, pretty much to where the speaker has almost no control or even influence in the caucus. He offered a deal where it would only take 5 votes to call for a new speaker election. He offered to gut the Ethics committee. To me, it is almost like he want the title "Speaker" on his resume' whether he actually speaks for the house or not, though I too know there is more to it, than that. I think he will try to take it to the floor for a public floor fight, since back door wrangling to get people in-line did not work. I suspect, in the end he will probably be speaker, the holdouts will get the shittiest committee assignment, and unable to take pork back to the constituents that elected them, hoping they would be more than troublemakers, but actual legislators. Overall, that party membership in that chamber are dysfunctional, assholes. This is another symptom of Trump taking the party down the tubes. It is a shame, really.

This is another symptom of Trump taking the party down the tubes. It is a shame, really.
It is.

One thing I can agree with the MAGA folks on is that McCarthy is shameless/gutless. Well, even MORE shameless/gutless than the AVERAGE politician.

The degree to which politicians have to sink on such a regular basis just blows my mind. And this is setting new lows.

All of that gridlock and we have toddlers in schools that can be butt phuked.
They are just dysfunctional. I don't think they will irradiate the odd in-school sex thing, deviant or otherwise, whether they are dysfunctional or not. Lots of influence from above, but like it or not, they are run from the local level.

It is.

One thing I can agree with the MAGA folks on is that McCarthy is shameless/gutless. Well, even MORE shameless/gutless than the AVERAGE politician.

The degree to which politicians have to sink on such a regular basis just blows my mind. And this is setting new lows.
True, but it is not like they haven't already weeded out all the politicians with capital as having statesmen and leadership potential. All they want is the spotlight not the responsibility for actually effectively running the country for the benefit of the country over the party. They only serve for entertainment value, determined to never agree with the other party on anything, just for the benefit of not agreeing publicly. It is all part of the political sh#tshow, now. The Dems are no better, really.

True, but it is not like they haven't already weeded out all the politicians with capital as having statesmen and leadership potential. All they want is the spotlight not the responsibility for actually effectively running the country for the benefit of the country over the party. They only serve for entertainment value, determined to never agree with the other party on anything, just for the benefit of not agreeing publicly. It is all part of the political sh#tshow, now. The Dems are no better, really.
Yep, these are the behaviors that our "system" incentivizes and rewards.

Either we change the "system", or we keep bending over for this.

Yep, but how? That is always the question. I just watch the passing parade, knowing the parade will not end until after I do, and try to have a good time (successfully, I might add) as the off-key band plays on, and I go about my life.

Yep, but how? That is always the question. I just watch the passing parade, knowing the parade will not end until after I do, and try to have a good time (successfully, I might add) as the off-key band plays on, and I go about my life.
  • Term limits
  • Publicly-funded elections
  • Ranked choice voting
  • Independent/Bi-partisan Redistricting Commissions
  • Open Primaries
.... would at least be a start. Not perfect by any means, but these changes would alter motivations and behaviors pretty quickly.

• Term limits
  • Publicly-funded elections
  • Ranked choice voting
  • Independent/Bi-partisan Redistricting Commissions
  • Open Primaries
.... would at least be a start. Not perfect by any means, but these changes would alter motivations and behaviors pretty quickly.

I like all of those, with the possible exception of ranked choice voting, as I am not really up on it. I am pretty sure if one person supported all of them and had a chance of bringing them about, they would be moved off the main stage or killed, outright.

This fiasco is going exceedingly well. McCarthy has no opponent, and he can't beat him!

‘We’re Done With Kevin McCarthy’: The Speakership Battle Is a Five-Alarm Dumpster Fire

OGC.gif

Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 11.44.30 AM.png

"How do you fight back when the invisible man
keeps kicking you in the ass?"

I suspect, in the end he will probably be speaker, the holdouts will get the shittiest committee assignment, and unable to take pork back to the constituents that elected them, hoping they would be more than troublemakers, but actual legislators. Overall, that party membership in that chamber are dysfunctional, assholes. This is another symptom of Trump taking the party down the tubes. It is a shame, really.
So taking pork back to the constituents is a good thing? Your "independent" crocodile tears are hilarious.

I like all of those, with the possible exception of ranked choice voting, as I am not really up on it. I am pretty sure if one person supported all of them and had a chance of bringing them about, they would be moved off the main stage or killed, outright.
The best we can hope for is that it's a process. Start small and build momentum. Get people who really want to change things on the ballot.

Uphill battle, but that's okay.

Prog politicians vote in legislation in lockstep. Republicans' legislation is watered down compared to what it can be. We see the endless RINOS who come to the forefront in crucial votes for Progs.

Grabbed from the web:

Stefanik is hitting a talking point that McCarthy and his allies have used relentlessly this morning — that he has earned the speakership. Some Republicans clearly think he hasn’t.

Republicans who are opposing McCarthy pointedly chose not to stand or applaud after Stefanik’s speech.

Pete Aguilar, the new No. 3 Democrat, taking a shot at Republicans as he nominates Hakeem Jeffries: “Democrats are united,” he says to their applause.

It is.

As bad of a RINO as he is McCarthy is a million times better than any of the Democrat filth.

Democrats are the scum of this country.

Forum List

Back