Marx's 'Communist Manifesto' Most Frequently Taught Text in U.S. Colleges

Critical thinking has never been a major American value, Guno, even among the college educated.

It is easier to follow, than thinking for yourself. USMB posters demonstrate that fact daily. Look at all the reliance on partisan blogs instead of actual research. It's the easy way and that's more important than adding substance to one's life.

Critical thinking has never been a major American value, Guno, even among the college educated.

It is easier to follow, than thinking for yourself. USMB posters demonstrate that fact daily. Look at all the reliance on partisan blogs instead of actual research. It's the easy way and that's more important than adding substance to one's life.

do you ever stop whining? speaking of thinking for oneself. you don't have any room to talk about others. you repeat this over and over and over

do you ever stop whining?

Do you ever demonstrate intelligence?

do you ever stop whining? speaking of thinking for oneself. you don't have any room to talk about others. you repeat this over and over and over
Steph, I have an ex-sister-in-law that told me Pearl Harbor is in Japan. Her critical thinking was that she knew the place was somehow connected with Japan, ergo.. You remind me of her a lot.

Economics or sociology classes without Marx would be like English courses without Shakespeare or Strunk & White.

Have can you have a modern European history course without mentioning Marx? We read excerpts from Das Kapital in several history classes just because you can't have a European history course without understanding just what Marx brought about.

"For instance, a search for “economics” shows Paul Krugman at the top of the list with his iconic “Economics,” which gets a count of 1,081 and score of 89.4. However, Gregory Mankiw’s “Macroeconomics,” doesn’t appear at all under the same search, even though it gets a count of 989 and a teaching score of 87.5.

Karl Marx’s classic receives a count of 3,189 and a score of 99.7. It doesn’t actually show up under economics texts either, as it is generally taught along with philosophy texts such as “The Social Contract,” by Jean-Jacques Rousseau; “Leviathan,” by Thomas Hobbes; and “On Liberty,” by John Stuart Mill. “’The Communist Manifesto’” is widely taught as a work of social theory,” rather than as an economics text Karaganis said. He added that when Marx is taught in economics classes, professors generally assign “Capital,” which received a count of 1,447 and a score of 94.6.

The only books assigned more frequently than “The Communist Manifesto” were “The Elements of Style,” the writing guide by William Strunk which was popularized by E.B. White, and “The Republic,” by Plato."

Thread = Dead. Does no one read the fucking links?

I don't think there's anything wrong with being exposed to Marx. His work is flawed and the more students who realize that the better off we all are.

so what books of Marx have you read?

in Das capital what are the flaws you see ? How about Grundrisse?

The main problem I have with Capital is that Marx didn't actually study capitalism before criticizing it, He studied England which was not what we would call capitalist at the time and most of his study wasn't even economic in nature. He was a philosopher play acting at being an economist and even he knew it which is why he called his field of interest social economy.
Guess we can just throw out Smith, Ricardo, and Malthus then eh smart guy?

Tell us, who did live enough in a capitalist society to actually write about it, Donald Trump?

The high school my son went to, taught about Marx, about religion, economic systems, even a unit on critical thinking and other subjects considered taboo in America. Our
political school-boards love to keep our citizens ignorant, and fearful, it's easier to get a school bond passed.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being exposed to Marx. His work is flawed and the more students who realize that the better off we all are.

so what books of Marx have you read?

in Das capital what are the flaws you see ? How about Grundrisse?

The main problem I have with Capital is that Marx didn't actually study capitalism before criticizing it, He studied England which was not what we would call capitalist at the time and most of his study wasn't even economic in nature. He was a philosopher play acting at being an economist and even he knew it which is why he called his field of interest social economy.
Guess we can just throw out Smith, Ricardo, and Malthus then eh smart guy?

Tell us, who did live enough in a capitalist society to actually write about it, Donald Trump?

That's a bit of an overreaction to my post, don't you think?

Why should we "throw out" Adam Smith? I didn't even suggest "throwing out" Marx, I said earlier that I think studying him is a good idea. I have no problem with Marx because Marx knew what he was. My problem is with people today who claim they've read and understand Marx but clearly have not and do not so as far as I'm concerned the more people who actually study Marx the better.

And look at the teachers anymore. they cause more trouble than the students. I've come to call them: commie camps

Based on the mangled syntax and failure to observe the basics of formatting and punctuation, I would say your teachers failed you long before most people on this board were born.

And look at the teachers anymore. they cause more trouble than the students. ....

????????????????

snip:
University of Missouri Suspends Professor Who Called For SOME MUSCLE OVER HERE

January 28, 2016 by Aleister 1 Comment

University of Missouri professor Melissa Click was charged with assault earlier this week for her role in the campus protests last fall. Now she’s been suspended.

Reuters reports:

Missouri suspends professor who called for ‘muscle’ against student reporter

A University of Missouri communications professor who called for “some muscle” to get a student journalist to back off during campus protests in November, was suspended by the school on Wednesday, days after she was charged with misdemeanor assault.

The university’s board of curators said Melissa Click was suspended with pay pending further investigation and it ordered an investigation to determine promptly whether additional discipline would be appropriate.

Click, an assistant professor in the university’s communications department, was charged on Monday by the Columbia, Missouri, city attorney. She could not immediately be reached for comment.

She can be seen on a student journalist’s video calling on protesters during an anti-racism demonstration to remove the reporter and a student photographer from a spot in the school quad that demonstrators had claimed as private space.

“Who wants to help me get this reporter out of here?” Click yells on camera. “I need some muscle over here.”

all of it here:
University of Missouri Suspends Professor Who Called For SOME MUSCLE OVER HERE - Progressives Today

Economics or sociology classes without Marx would be like English courses without Shakespeare or Strunk & White.
So why not also include 'Mein Kamph' or the Bible?
They are in many cases. A lot of literature courses include the Bible. Hard to teach literary history/ Western literature without covering it. Mein Kampf received a glance in most history and European studies classes I took. There are probably whole courses dedicated to it at some schools.

So why not also include 'Mein Kamph' or the Bible?
They are in many cases. A lot of literature courses include the Bible. Hard to teach literary history/ Western literature without covering it. Mein Kampf received a glance in most history and European studies classes I took. There are probably whole courses dedicated to it at some schools.

I had a 400 level course on the History of Nazism and Fascism at university. It was fascinating.

well, one of the tenants of the manifesto was to take over the colleges and medias. And then infiltrate the parties in our country. they have taken over the party they call the : Democrats

SNIP:
Great news, America! Karl Marx's Communist Manifesto is the most frequently taught text in U.S. colleges.

This depressing bit of information comes courtesy of Open Syllabus, a project that tracks books and assignments in over one million course syllabi. The project uses an algorithm to mine data from public sites and analyzes what it finds.

Though the organization admits it is continually working out all of the kinks in their program, the current data over at least the last ten years puts Marx's work at the top of the list by a long shot compared to other works.

A table was published at MarketWatch.com:

the list and all of it here:

It's their Bible

well, one of the tenants of the manifesto was to take over the colleges and medias. And then infiltrate the parties in our country. they have taken over the party they call the : Democrats

SNIP:
Great news, America! Karl Marx's Communist Manifesto is the most frequently taught text in U.S. colleges.

This depressing bit of information comes courtesy of Open Syllabus, a project that tracks books and assignments in over one million course syllabi. The project uses an algorithm to mine data from public sites and analyzes what it finds.

Though the organization admits it is continually working out all of the kinks in their program, the current data over at least the last ten years puts Marx's work at the top of the list by a long shot compared to other works.

SNIP:

notice who thanked your op and who gave it a winner and that will tell you the educational level and mentality of those people

Forum List

Back