Marijuana Toxicity (or lack of)

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
"The acute toxicity of cannabis is very low. There are no confirmed cases of human deaths from cannabis poisoning in the world medical literature. Animal studies indicate that the dose of THC required to produce 50% mortality in rodents is extremely high by comparison with other commonly used pharmaceutical and recreational drugs. The lethal dose also increases as one moves up the phylogenetic tree, suggesting by extrapolation that the lethal increases as one moves up the phylogenetic tree, suggesting by extrapolation that the lethal dose in humans could not be very easily achieved by smoking or ingesting the drug (Grinspoon and Bakalar, 1993; Rosencrantz, 1983)."
The Probable Health Effects of Cannabis

"Government Confirms And Reports That Marijuana Prevents Or Cures Certain Cancers"

"In a recent report, the National Cancer Institute (NCI), part of the Federal government’s National Institutes of Health (NIH), stated that marijuana “inhibited the survival of both estrogen receptor–positive and estrogen receptor–negative breast cancer cell lines.”

The same report showed marijuana slows or stops the growth of certain lung cancer cells and suggested that marijuana may provide “risk reduction and treatment of colorectal cancer.”

Referring to the NCI report, Patient Rights attorney Matthew Pappas said, “The Federal government’s continuing attack on people prescribed medical cannabis by their doctors is hypocritical considering the benefits reported by its own National Cancer Institute.” "
Government Confirms And Reports That Marijuana Prevents Or Cures Certain Cancers

"There have been no confirmed cases of deaths from marijuana poisoning."
Family Doctor

In the days, weeks, and months to come sinc eColorado legalized pot, expect many scare tactic articles harkening back to "Reefer Madness." The alcohol companies are expected to be the primary supporters of such propaganda as recreational marijuana use is much safer than similar use of alcohol. Thus booze companies are facing a loss in revenues thus have a financial stake is defaming the use of a competing substance.

ALWAYS consider the source of what you read.

There'll likely be a spike as people try it just because it's leagl, but that'll drop and level off. Same thing happens everywhere when something banned is suddenly legalized.

With the restrictions in place, I don't expect productivity or DUIDs to be significantly higher. Isn't gonna be like China and opium way back or anything. Will be interested to watch for drops in drug and violent crime though.

Expect Coloradoans' productivity rate to plummet. And traffic incidents to rise.

Expect school failure rates to panic the public.

An interesting take on Colorado's legalization.

America's Stoned Kids: guinea pigs of cannabis legalisation | Television & radio | The Guardian

A politician from the pro-legalisation lobby, who's a dead ringer for Jeff off of Curb, shows Marsden a campaign commercial featuring a toothily wholesome girl typing an email. "Dear Mom. When I was in college, I used to drink a lot. It was kinda crazy. But now I'm older, I prefer to use marijuana." On the other side of the coin, we meet kids whose skinning-up got so out of control that their parents packed them off to rehab. Caylib has an even bigger problem with blunts than he does with spelling his name. "I started smoking weed when I was, like, 13," he mumbles. "Soon I was getting wrecked seven times a day."

Increased availability trickling down into the hands of under-21s is a valid concern. As is that of it entering neighboring states where it's still illegal. Whether it'll be markedly higher than it already does those things when illegal remains to be seen though. But the concern itself is certainly fair and valid.

Yeah, considering kids are more than likely taking and selling pharmies and getting alcohol from of age friedns/siblings, I'm sure the rate of pot smoking kids will completely canvas the land like a plague.

What I'm expecting and hoping to see most though is a decrease in other drug use and arrests as people use legal pot instead of risking a bust or interaction with organized crime types.

expect a huge rise in the consumption of cheetos, toritos, ruffles, tacos ect ect ect

There are approximately 88,000 deaths attributable to excessive alcohol use each year in the United States.1 This makes excessive alcohol use the 3r d leading lifestyle-related cause of death for the nation.2 Excessive alcohol use is responsible for 2.5 million years of potential life lost (YPLL) annually, or an average of about 30 years of potential life lost for each death.1 In 2006, there were more than 1.2 million emergency room visits and 2.7 million physician office visits due to excessive drinking.3 The economic costs of excessive alcohol consumption in 2006 were estimated at $223.5 billion.3
CDC - Fact Sheets-Alcohol Use And Health - Alcohol

yet booze is legal.

my favorite was strawberry poptarts crushed up in ice cream

Blame a plant for parental failure. Sounds about right!

it's not a plant per se.

It is a glorification of the very harmful plant and the availability without control.

Harmful? Can you name these harmful effects?

being stoned is the first one. It impairs the reasoning ability. Always.

Killing your grey cells especially in an adolescent brain - the other one.

And the whole variety of other problemsw, with increased appetite in a generally obese nation, to be the least, but not the last.

Forum List

Back