Marco Rubio: Medicare, Social Security ‘Weakened Us As People,’ Made Us Lazy

Here's what Rubio said previously.
“I am a big fan of Social Security and Medicare. Both of my parents are in their eighties, and they are on Social Security and Medicare, and I’ll tell you right now, if those programs didn’t exist for them, their lives would be very different,” Rubio said. “I want to save those programs. I don’t want to see a single penny of benefit cuts for them during their lifetimes.”
Marco Rubio Perfects the Seven-Minute GOP Stump Speech - By Kyle O. Peterson - Battle

Another toad from Florida.

This theory is completely wrongheaded.

Having a safety net, be it publically funded or privately funded, doesn't make one weak.

It gives people the opportunity to TAKE CHANCES they might otherwise not take.

And it is by the taking of chances that people typically advance their lives.

So Americans are not only lazy, they are also stupid to be using failed capitalism.

Do you want to actually address what I said? I never mentioned anything about laziness or 'failed capitalism'. But you like to infer unrelated, unintended meaning in order to obfuscate, so I'm not suprised to get a response like that from you.

It was surely intended, just a little vague. American people are stupid to hang onto capitalism as they sink with it. Why should American workers be concerned with saving for retirements, when they can have full wage retirements? I understand your point, I am just not sure common sense dictates your reasoning, or shows me anything except a capitalist thinking person who actually thinks workers might be subsidizing their retirements. Most workers are living check to check, so I don't see that idea flying.

Shinny. Just a question.

Didn't you say you were worth a couple of million dollars?? Had a big house with servants and the whole nine yards??

If so it seems You've made out pretty well via Capitalism.

Unless of course your a jewel thief, bank robber or mayby found your green in a can out back. LOL Just sayin.

What makes Rubio's fantasy so shit laden is that in the days of yesteryear, if family/church/community had been doing an adequate job of taking care of the sick, the needy, and the elderly,

there would have been no incentive for Social Security and Medicare to come into existence.

The incentive was to keep people voting for Democrats

Which wouldn't be an incentive if no problems existed.

Here's what Rubio said previously.
“I am a big fan of Social Security and Medicare. Both of my parents are in their eighties, and they are on Social Security and Medicare, and I’ll tell you right now, if those programs didn’t exist for them, their lives would be very different,” Rubio said. “I want to save those programs. I don’t want to see a single penny of benefit cuts for them during their lifetimes.”
Marco Rubio Perfects the Seven-Minute GOP Stump Speech - By Kyle O. Peterson - Battle

Another toad from Florida.

Unbelievable.

Well, not that unbelievable...

Republicans hate the old, the sick, and the disadvantaged.

They love the rich and the powerful.

The substance of Senator Rubio's has nothing to do with the solvency of entitlement programs. Rather, he objects to the government rather than private citizens caring for the elderly. His argument is that if people know the government will take care of the elderly they will not, and that therefore the people are weakened because they are ceding to the government their traditional role. I disagree:

1) Social Security greatly reduces senior poverty. That strengthens us as a people. Social Security wasn't implemented arbitrarily-- it was implemented because communities weren't doing enough to care for the elderly.

2) With Social Security now well established, people still believe that it is their job to care for elderly parents. If an elderly parent needs help, no one tells them to call their Social Security office.
Someone should ask him the question. Do his parents, or did they, benefit from SS or Medicare? Or has he personally cared for them in their old age?

That is none of your damn business.

The substance of Senator Rubio's has nothing to do with the solvency of entitlement programs. Rather, he objects to the government rather than private citizens caring for the elderly. His argument is that if people know the government will take care of the elderly they will not, and that therefore the people are weakened because they are ceding to the government their traditional role. I disagree:

1) Social Security greatly reduces senior poverty. That strengthens us as a people. Social Security wasn't implemented arbitrarily-- it was implemented because communities weren't doing enough to care for the elderly.

2) With Social Security now well established, people still believe that it is their job to care for elderly parents. If an elderly parent needs help, no one tells them to call their Social Security office.
Someone should ask him the question. Do his parents, or did they, benefit from SS or Medicare? Or has he personally cared for them in their old age?

That is none of your damn business.

Too late, sourpuss, he already squealed on himself.

This came from Thinkprogress folks, I think I'd wait to hear what HE REALLY SAID.

This came from Thinkprogress folks, I think I'd wait to hear what HE REALLY SAID.
Here it is, will you believe your eyes and ears?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuvW3SeWxkM]Marco Rubio: Medicare, Social Security 'Weakened Us As People', Made Us Lazy - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Forum List

Back