many years ago I was a so called free trade advocate

not any more.
Both Democrats and Republicans can agree on one thing: protectionism is dead.

Since Congress foolishly delegated its powers to negotiate tariff rates to the Executive Branch in the 1930s (in the Reciprocal Trade Agreements Act of 1934), trade liberalism has become the norm. High-tariff Republicanism, which dates back to Lincoln, has been discarded. The very legitimate idea of protecting needy American industries, a fundamentally Hamiltonian belief, is now scoffed at by the Fundamentalist Church of Free Trade.

Certain high-ranking clergymen like Karl Rove, George Will, Bill Kristol, and Newt Gingrich will often dismiss those on the right who speak favorably of tariff implementation as a way to facilitate a truly America-First economic agenda. Protectionist measures, they claim, are backward and "neo-isolationist."

This is simply hogwash.

Dogmatic trade liberals completely dismiss the adverse effects of free trade. The fact of the matter is that certain trade-liberalizing policies (think WTO and NAFTA) have slaughtered the Rust Belt. Many American cities that were once great epicenters of innovation and industrialization now look a lot like Aleppo. This, in turn, has led to the mass disenfranchisement of blue-collar workers, who are told to enroll in largely ineffective job-retraining programs.

7_91_9.gif

Those in the Fundamentalist Church of Free Trade won't admit that they are part of a religious cult, but they are.

A lot of people believed in "free trade" for the single purpose of breaking the political power of Labor in America. It worked but I'm pretty sure few would say it was worth it.

A lot of people believed in "free trade" for the single purpose of breaking the political power of Labor in America. It worked but I'm pretty sure few would say it was worth it.

We have never had free trade. No such thing exists anywhere.

"Free Trade" is & always was a scam for multinationals to avoid taxes, kill domestic competition & labor.

There is no such thing when profit & labor here is taxed & other countries have different laws, regs & taxes.

All imports regardless of origin must be taxed above 12% just to level the playing field.

"Free Trade" is & always was a scam for multinationals to avoid taxes, kill domestic competition & labor.
There is no such thing when profit & labor here is taxed & other countries have different laws, regs & taxes.
All imports regardless of origin must be taxed above 12% just to level the playing field.

Odd, these are all things you support by voting for Joe Biden!

Both Democrats and Republicans can agree on one thing: protectionism is dead.

Since Congress foolishly delegated its powers to negotiate tariff rates to the Executive Branch in the 1930s (in the Reciprocal Trade Agreements Act of 1934), trade liberalism has become the norm. High-tariff Republicanism, which dates back to Lincoln, has been discarded. The very legitimate idea of protecting needy American industries, a fundamentally Hamiltonian belief, is now scoffed at by the Fundamentalist Church of Free Trade.

Certain high-ranking clergymen like Karl Rove, George Will, Bill Kristol, and Newt Gingrich will often dismiss those on the right who speak favorably of tariff implementation as a way to facilitate a truly America-First economic agenda. Protectionist measures, they claim, are backward and "neo-isolationist."

This is simply hogwash.

Dogmatic trade liberals completely dismiss the adverse effects of free trade. The fact of the matter is that certain trade-liberalizing policies (think WTO and NAFTA) have slaughtered the Rust Belt. Many American cities that were once great epicenters of innovation and industrialization now look a lot like Aleppo. This, in turn, has led to the mass disenfranchisement of blue-collar workers, who are told to enroll in largely ineffective job-retraining programs.

7_91_9.gif

Those in the Fundamentalist Church of Free Trade won't admit that they are part of a religious cult, but they are.
I'm a total free trader in principle (just like I'm for total open borders in principle)...But there's a little catch.

How does anyone propose to trade freely with people who don't reciprocate?...How do you trade freely with someone who employs slave labor, manipulates their currency, imposes steep taxes/tariffs on your exports, and uses the proceeds of trade with you to oppress and enslave their own people?

In this case, I like the Ross Perot model: We'll give you the same deal that you give us.

Neo-mercantilism is reality and will be for at least a generation. Both sides favor it in their own ways. The conservatives want to MAGA by restrictions. The democrats want to straight up raid the foreign accounts of corporations and global accounts of the top 1%. Anything to buy votes.

I'm a total free trader in principle (just like I'm for total open borders in principle)...But there's a little catch.

How does anyone propose to trade freely with people who don't reciprocate?...How do you trade freely with someone who employs slave labor, manipulates their currency, imposes steep taxes/tariffs on your exports, and uses the proceeds of trade with you to oppress and enslave their own people?

In this case, I like the Ross Perot model: We'll give you the same deal that you give us.

Free trade doesn't mean you must trade with someone. It just means you have the option to if you wish.

Wrong! It means you must exploit the worlds cheapest labor, regulation & tax loopholes or be put out of business & jobless.

Replies like this...................................the definition of something is the definition of something regardless if you think it's a good idea or not.

Forum List

Back