many years ago I was a so called free trade advocate

A lot of people believed in "free trade" for the single purpose of breaking the political power of Labor in America. It worked but I'm pretty sure few would say it was worth it.
We as peasants at times can get too greedy. There are unions who bleed the areas they work in dry, or the taxpayer is on the hook for more than it should. The auto union destroyed the auto industry here. It took two oil crises to see that other parts of the world produced more reliable vehicles. At the time of the first one I believe that only 10% of the vehicles sold could be from foreign companies. That was forcibly changed on us by the auto companies failing to produce reliable vehicles and smaller ones. On top of it the dealers treated people like crap. Many still do, but at least the foreign cars are more reliable. And Many of the then Progs bought foreign cars over American ones even as we read about patriotism from them.

Our politicians have been bought and paid for by foreign nations especially those who do not have our best interests in mind. The Biden crime syndicate and the Clintons are experts at this treason.

In this case, I like the Ross Perot model: We'll give you the same deal that you give us.
That's foolish, because they simply change the country of origin to avoid tariffs. Nothing changes unless we tariff every country the same 12% on every product.

Free trade without free trade.

Free trade in name only.
You dont seem to understand that its governments business to manage international trade

Its always been that way not only in America but for every other modern country

You dont seem to understand that its governments business to manage international trade

I don't understand? Huh. I never argued against that. I've simply argued there is no such thing as free trade and that those who claim to support free trade do not really.

Its always been that way not only in America but for every other modern country

Hence no free trade.

I don't understand? Huh. I never argued against that. I've simply argued there is no such thing as free trade and that those who claim to support free trade do not really.

Hence no free trade.
Free trade means different things to different people

I dont support free trade in any form or absolute government control either

Free trade means different things to different people

I dont support free trade in any form or absolute government control either

KInda like those who claim to be pro-life but limit that description to a very narrow view of like.

To be fair, the globalism that arose at the end of the Cold War did offer a new way for a new world. Sadly Western bankers opted for unprecedented greed and exploitation over sensible growth limited by long term national interests.

Forum List

Back