Many say working on Christmas Day not so bad

alan1

Gold Member
Dec 13, 2008
Shoveling the ashes
Christmas labors taken lightly: Many say working on Christmas Day not so bad - Santa Cruz Sentinel

snip,
Charlie Dickinson had a similar story about good cheer on Christmas, and he said he was happy to work and earn his regular wage.

Dickinson worked at Seacliff Plaza Store on State Park Drive, serving a steady stream of customers who came through Christmas morning.

"It's great, I'm happy to be here," he said. "It's a beautiful day and everyone is coming in happy, and maybe a little hung over."

This year, my employer had some locations open on Christmas.
Everybody that worked volunteered to do so at double pay. Even the salaried were paid double a days wages.
It's probably been over 25 years since I worked on Christmas day.
Did anybody here at USMB work yesterday?

I've worked many Christmas'. My employers appreciated the devotion so much, I was let go in June after a merger.

True story. :thup:

From 1982 until around 1996, almost every Christmas day was a duty day for me. Why? I'd always volunteer for duty since I didn't have any family other than my Grandparents and my Aunt Laurie (and they were all back in Montana).

Besides, the bonus was that if I took Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, I'd always have New Years Day off.

In 1997, I had to get used to a totally new way of doing things, because after that, the duty stations I was on (MSC vessel and a MEPS) didn't really have a duty roster like normal active duty stations did.

Wanna know the definition of lost? Me on my first Christmas day and no duty to stand, so I went mountain biking.

True story.

I've worked many Christmas'. My employers appreciated the devotion so much, I was let go in June after a merger.

True story. :thup:

Guess that will learn ya.

Sucks to be so devoted, yet let go so easily.
Sorry to hear that Sallow. Hope ya are back to work already though.

Christmas labors taken lightly: Many say working on Christmas Day not so bad - Santa Cruz Sentinel

snip,
Charlie Dickinson had a similar story about good cheer on Christmas, and he said he was happy to work and earn his regular wage.

Dickinson worked at Seacliff Plaza Store on State Park Drive, serving a steady stream of customers who came through Christmas morning.

"It's great, I'm happy to be here," he said. "It's a beautiful day and everyone is coming in happy, and maybe a little hung over."

This year, my employer had some locations open on Christmas.
Everybody that worked volunteered to do so at double pay. Even the salaried were paid double a days wages.
It's probably been over 25 years since I worked on Christmas day.
Did anybody here at USMB work yesterday?

They get paid 1.5x the normal wage and in some situations 2x.. That is standard for all "official" holidays.

In this economy I can see why some workers don't mind..... It's $$$$$$....

Forum List

Back