Man Shoots At Intruders, Turns Out It Was A No-knock Raid. Now He Faces The Death Penalty

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
Man Shoots at Intruders Turns Out it was a No-Knock Raid. Now He Faces the Death Penalty The Free Thought Project

On Friday, May 9, 2014, just after 5:30am in Killeen, Texas, Marvin Louis Guy was the target of a no knock raid.

The officers were looking for drugs, yet none were found in the home. There was some questionable paraphernalia, but nothing indicative of drug dealing- or anything damning enough for a reasonable person to feel the need to take an officers life.

Unfortunately the danger of no-knock raids is real. just ask the parents of baby Bou or the family of Detective Dinwiddie.

Detective Dinwiddie was one of the SWAT officers who broke into Guy’s house on May 9th, based on a seemingly bogus informant tip off about drugs being dealt from the home.

Likely alarmed by the men climbing through his windows at 5:30 in the morning, Guy and his wife sought to protect themselves and their property and fired on the intruders- in self defense.

Dinwiddie, along with three other officers were shot while attempting to breach the windows to the home, according to the department’s press release.

“The TRU was beginning to breach the window when the 49 year old male inside, opened fire striking four officers.”

Since the shooting occurred during the break in, a reasonable person would assume they had not yet identified themselves as police officers. How on earth is this not self defense?

Prosecutors are now seeking the death penalty against Guy. He is charged with capital murder in Dinwiddie’s death, as well as three counts of attempted capital murder for firing on the other officers during the shootout, injuring one other officer. Body armor protected others who were hit.

This announcement, given by the prosecutor in open court, comes one day after Governor Rick Perry presented Dinwiddie’s family with the Star of Texas award. This award is given out each year to police and first responders killed or injured in the line of duty, the Killeen Daily Herald reported.

Let’s flash back to December, in Texas, for a moment.

On December 19, also just before 6am, Burleson County Sgt. Adam Sowders, led a team in a no-knock marijuana raid on Henry Goedrich Magee’s mobile home in Somerville.

Also startled by these intruders, Magee opened fire, fearing for the safety of himself and his then pregnant girlfriend.

Read more at Man Shoots at Intruders Turns Out it was a No-Knock Raid. Now He Faces the Death Penalty The Free Thought Project

Thoughts?

And please any authoritarians who want to comment about bowing to police under all circumstances you are excused from this thread. Everyone knows your angle

My thoughts are he's screwed. Your pathetic plea notwithstanding, if they are not IN your home you cannot claim self defense. Your clue that it's more of an op-ed piece is the broad brushing and trying to blur the issue with multiple accounts. It all has to be looked at on a case by case basis. I also have a hard time believing they didn't identify themselves.

People get spooked when their space is invaded and their lives are threatened. Their first instinct is to defend themselves.

They don't have time to mull scenarios or decide on different options. They just defend themselves.

No knock searches are a real dumb-ass and dangerous thing to do.

People get spooked when their space is invaded and their lives are threatened. Their first instinct is to defend themselves.

They don't have time to mull scenarios or decide on different options. They just defend themselves.

No knock searches are a real dumb-ass and dangerous thing to do.
You can spin it how you want but if you are going to use a firearm you better know the rules. No state allows this:

Man could face more charges in shooting - The Killeen Daily Herald Crime
According to the arrest affidavit, Guy admitted to police he shot at “a number of persons” outside of residence before being taken into custody Friday.

My thoughts are he's screwed. Your pathetic plea notwithstanding, if they are not IN your home you cannot claim self defense. Your clue that it's more of an op-ed piece is the broad brushing and trying to blur the issue with multiple accounts. It all has to be looked at on a case by case basis. I also have a hard time believing they didn't identify themselves.
If someone unidentified is coming through your window you are acting in self defense if you fire.

If someone unidentified is coming through your window you are acting in self defense if you fire.
Which state are you referring to? If I shoot someone, the body will be found inside, not out. But it looks like Guy's problem was he was pumping rounds outside at them.
Go back to Ruby Ridge. A guy (I forgot his name) killed a federal agent and was acquitted by the jury because they saw it as self defense. The agent was in the woods outside the home.

Which state are you referring to? If I shoot someone, the body will be found inside, not out. But it looks like Guy's problem was he was pumping rounds outside at them.
It happened in Texas a self defense State they do not have to be in the house, further the broken windows would attest to the fact they were entering your home.

Go back to Ruby Ridge. A guy (I forgot his name) killed a federal agent and was acquitted by the jury because they saw it as self defense. The agent was in the woods outside the home.
Actually his son shot an agent when he came after him in the woods as I recall.

Actually his son shot an agent when he came after him in the woods as I recall.
That wasn't the event that I was referring to. I don't think the kid actually hit anyone. The son, I think he was about 12, was killed anyway.

You said he was facing the death penalty. As you yourself pointed out in similar cases the shooter was acquitted. There might be add n acquittal in this case too. If you want to use this as a reason to end no knock raids it's not going to happen.

It happened in Texas a self defense State they do not have to be in the house, further the broken windows would attest to the fact they were entering your home.
All states have self defense statutes. Whether you can legally shoot someone depends on the circumstances. I'm guessing the prosecutor is more familiar with state law than the lopsided boraod brushed agenda driven op-ed piece.

All states have self defense statutes. Whether you can legally shoot someone depends on the circumstances. I'm guessing the prosecutor is more familiar with state law than the lopsided boraod brushed agenda driven op-ed piece.
It will be up to the jury. They do not need to follow what the prosecutor or judge says. If the jury feels that the man feared for his life there will be no conviction.

It will be up to the jury. They do not need to follow what the prosecutor or judge says. If the jury feels that the man feared for his life there will be no conviction.

Yup. I mean hell if you can shoot an unarmed teen on the street of his neighborhood and get away with it because you feared for your life then a guy breaking in through the window of your home should be a no brainer.

Man Shoots at Intruders Turns Out it was a No-Knock Raid. Now He Faces the Death Penalty The Free Thought Project

On Friday, May 9, 2014, just after 5:30am in Killeen, Texas, Marvin Louis Guy was the target of a no knock raid.

The officers were looking for drugs, yet none were found in the home. There was some questionable paraphernalia, but nothing indicative of drug dealing- or anything damning enough for a reasonable person to feel the need to take an officers life.

Unfortunately the danger of no-knock raids is real. just ask the parents of baby Bou or the family of Detective Dinwiddie.

Detective Dinwiddie was one of the SWAT officers who broke into Guy’s house on May 9th, based on a seemingly bogus informant tip off about drugs being dealt from the home.

Likely alarmed by the men climbing through his windows at 5:30 in the morning, Guy and his wife sought to protect themselves and their property and fired on the intruders- in self defense.

Dinwiddie, along with three other officers were shot while attempting to breach the windows to the home, according to the department’s press release.

“The TRU was beginning to breach the window when the 49 year old male inside, opened fire striking four officers.”

Since the shooting occurred during the break in, a reasonable person would assume they had not yet identified themselves as police officers. How on earth is this not self defense?

Prosecutors are now seeking the death penalty against Guy. He is charged with capital murder in Dinwiddie’s death, as well as three counts of attempted capital murder for firing on the other officers during the shootout, injuring one other officer. Body armor protected others who were hit.

This announcement, given by the prosecutor in open court, comes one day after Governor Rick Perry presented Dinwiddie’s family with the Star of Texas award. This award is given out each year to police and first responders killed or injured in the line of duty, the Killeen Daily Herald reported.

Let’s flash back to December, in Texas, for a moment.

On December 19, also just before 6am, Burleson County Sgt. Adam Sowders, led a team in a no-knock marijuana raid on Henry Goedrich Magee’s mobile home in Somerville.

Also startled by these intruders, Magee opened fire, fearing for the safety of himself and his then pregnant girlfriend.

Read more at Man Shoots at Intruders Turns Out it was a No-Knock Raid. Now He Faces the Death Penalty The Free Thought Project

Thoughts?

And please any authoritarians who want to comment about bowing to police under all circumstances you are excused from this thread. Everyone knows your angle
Slippery slope.

THAT changes things. If the police had broken in without shouting POLICE OFFICERS!!!, the self defense issue kicks in....If the report of the resident shooting at people outside the home, that is not self defense.

THAT changes things. If the police had broken in without shouting POLICE OFFICERS!!!, the self defense issue kicks in....If the report of the resident shooting at people outside the home, that is not self defense.
Except in Texas recall that a man shoot a man for robbing his neighbor and no charges were filed.

Texas is a stand your ground state. All the person has to say is they FELT threatened and it's legal to shoot. I doesn't matter where it happens whether inside a home or not.

Think george zimmerman for a good example of stand your ground.

How was the home owner to know it was the police? They didn't knock or announce themselves. They just broke in through a window.

I have a hard time believing you wouldn't shoot when you see strangers coming through your window at 5:30 in the morning in a stand your ground state.

If it goes to trial I would be extremely surprised if the man is convicted.

Texas is a stand your ground state. All the person has to say is they FELT threatened and it's legal to shoot. I doesn't matter where it happens whether inside a home or not.

Think george zimmerman for a good example of stand your ground.

How was the home owner to know it was the police? They didn't knock or announce themselves. They just broke in through a window.

I have a hard time believing you wouldn't shoot when you see strangers coming through your window at 5:30 in the morning in a stand your ground state.

If it goes to trial I would be extremely surprised if the man is convicted.

The police are required to identify themselves even in a no knock situation. If they did it's murder. If they didn't self defense. It really is that simple.

Forum List

Back