Man Banned from Walmart

We have several persons who are banned , when they comeback they are arrested for trespassing , the police are happy to take them away.It takes them about 2 minutes to arrive if that long.

I have never been in a dirty run down Wally World store.

Usually when they get too run down they will by a shopping center, preferably one that's been in the community for a long time and is full of mom & pops, level it, build a new wal-mart on that site, and leave the old one to urban blight.

Sort of like how shopping malls work, except in the case of shopping malls its usually a newer mall competing with an older run down mall both owned by different entities.

Last edited:
OK. What LAW allows them to require to view my property before exiting their building?

No. In fact you have quoted zero law on the issue.

Asked an answered. Do you have a right to put limits on people's behavior in your home?

Yes.

Wal-Mart owns its facilities and may set the rules. If you don't care to abide by them, then they have every right to keep you off their property.

Really. What an issue.

Why don't you go protest about McDonalds not giving out enough dipping sauces with their McNuggets, or some other really important societal issue.

The do have that right to inspect or check as you leave the store.

According to what law or jurisprudence? Shopkeeper's privilege only allows them to detain you until law enforcement arrives and then only if they suspect you of shoplifting or attempted shoplifting - it does not allow them to search your person, only the police can do that.

So would you rather show them your receipt, or stand around and wait for them to call law enforcement?

Really.

Big Deal. They do the same at CostCos everwhere. I've also had my receipt checked routinely at CompUSA. A merchant has every right to check receipts when customers are leaving. If you don't like it, shop elsewhere.

Yup. And a merchant has a right to ask patrons to check backpacks at the door or else be subject to search when they leave. And certainly a merchant has a right to check out the patron who sets off the security alarm when he is leaving the premises.

Haven't you guys ever had a clerk fail to decactivate a security device? Then when you set off the security alarm, did you not willingly submit your purchases AND your receipt for scrutiny? And if you refused, would that not be cause for suspicion?

Shoplifting has become one of the most delibiliating costs of doing business for retailers and it does drive up the cost of just about everything we buy. The security devices have helped a great deal to stop a lot of it. We should continue to support that, not question the shopkeepers who utilize it.

Actually, employee theft is even worse than shoplifting. IMO, most of these controls are in place to make sure employees aren't stealing the inventory.

As George Constanza would have said: Shrinkage Is Not Good.

Actually, employee theft is even worse than shoplifting. IMO, most of these controls are in place to make sure employees aren't stealing the inventory.

As George Constanza would have said: Shrinkage Is Not Good.

Certainly security cameras and such as that watch employees as much as customers for exactly the reason you say. But realistically, employees know how to and have the tools to deactivate the security devices.

When I was a working adjuster, I was sent out to investigate theft of precious metals from a large firm. They had all the right stuff--human guards, security cameras, hidden security devices, and metal detectors the employees had to walk through when leaving the premises. It was amazing some of the creative ways the employees were finding to smuggle the stuff out. I suspect employees in a large department store have even more ways to do that.

Neither employees nor customers should be immune to security checks when there is reason to suspect theft.

Consumerist reader Jeremy says he's recently been barred from entering any Walmart store in the country. Why? Because he politely declined to show his receipt to a greeter.

Why Was I Banned From Walmart For Not Showing My Receipt? - The Consumerist

Poor Jeremy...:eusa_boohoo:

I bet this was him:

1054.jpg

Asked an answered.

You are apparently under the mistaken impression that property rights implies the owner of a property may do as he pleases to anyone on it.

Do you have a right to put limits on people's behavior in your home?

I don't have the right to detain them in my home until they produce a piece of their personal property for inspection, no.

Wal-Mart owns its facilities and may set the rules.
Again, you are under the mistaken impression that property ownership gives the owner the right to do anything he wants to people on his property. You're fucking wrong. What a property owner may and may not do to a person on his property is governed by LAW - not whatever boedicca or the property owner thinks is right.

Asked an answered.

You are apparently under the mistaken impression that property rights implies the owner of a property may do as he pleases to anyone on it.

Do you have a right to put limits on people's behavior in your home?

I don't have the right to detain them in my home until they produce a piece of their personal property for inspection, no.

Wal-Mart owns its facilities and may set the rules.
Again, you are under the mistaken impression that property ownership gives the owner the right to do anything he wants to people on his property. You're fucking wrong. What a property owner may and may not do to a person on his property is governed by LAW - not whatever boedicca or the property owner thinks is right.
So, what you are sayong is that if it were YOUR store and someone set off an alarm, you're just going to let it pass even though they may have just stolen you blind?

That's a great way to fold your business quite quickly.

So, what you are sayong is that if it were YOUR store and someone set off an alarm, you're just going to let it pass even though they may have just stolen you blind?

That's a great way to fold your business quite quickly.

It does explain why he thinks we need the Government to save us from ourselves.

If you hadn't just jumped into boedica's and I'd conversation and started yelling, you'd realize we are arguing over the case where receipts are checked as standard practice, w/o any alarm or any probable cause. For instance, at BestBuy over Christmas, after standing in line for 15 minutes and paying for my items, I had to stand in another line for 5 minutes just to leave the store with my property. I didn't know the law at the time, if i had, I would have just walked out.

Incidentally, in most states, even in the case where an alarm is set off - the shopkeer only has the right to detain the person. Generally, they may use physical (but generally not deadly) force to detain them in this case because there is probable cause a crime is being committed - the alarm was tripped - but they are not allowed to forcibly search the suspect, only the police can do that.

Forum List

Back