M & P 9mm...any thoughts....?

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Looking at different guns....anyone have thoughts on the M&P 9mm?

I don't like plastic weapons. Never have, never will. I have handguns that are 130 years old and they are still very functional. No plastic gun will ever last like that.

I have an M&P 40 Shield I conceal carry that's been flawless; it's my first, only, and last striker-fired pistol as I prefer steel-framed semi-autos, such as my CZ 75BD in 9 mm.

I hear nothing but good things about the M&P platform, it's worth a serious look.

I don't like plastic weapons. Never have, never will. I have handguns that are 130 years old and they are still very functional. No plastic gun will ever last like that.
True, but an exception can be made when looking for something small and light for concealed carry.

No argument from me on that point. Ultimately it has to be something the owner likes. My opinion in that arena is moot.

True, but an exception can be made when looking for something small and light for concealed carry.
The dependabilty of a weapon is FAR more important then weight or looks. What has the poster compared it to?

Thanks for the thoughts everyone....

As I looked at these M & Ps I was thinking if a school went to arm staff, they might be a good choice.....they could be kept on the person, in the school building with a magazine in the well but no round in the chamber, and with the safety on. True....not having a round in the chamber in a gun meant for defensive carry is tactically unsound, but it would be a realistic trade off vs. the low odds of an active shooter event.....that way the chance of an accidental discharge are much reduced...

Of course many other guns have manual safeties...I just thought of this as I looked into the M& Ps.......

Plastic guns are best for carrying. I live in Florida. It is hot and muggy. My Kel Tek P3AT won't rust or corrode.

Neither does my Starvel finished Firestar in .40. It's heavy, but accurate as hell.

The dependabilty of a weapon is FAR more important then weight or looks. What has the poster compared it to?
After at least 300 rounds the Smith has yet to fail, meeting my standards for a reliable CC weapon that's also comfortable for extended carry.

I have an M&P 40 Shield I conceal carry that's been flawless; it's my first, only, and last striker-fired pistol as I prefer steel-framed semi-autos, such as my CZ 75BD in 9 mm.

I hear nothing but good things about the M&P platform, it's worth a serious look.

Is shooting the shield harder because it is smaller....or do your skills make up for it?

I have a Firestar 40 series, from Taurus. 40 cal, 10 shot mag and little bigger than a .380. I've had for 15 years now, and I still love it.

my favorite of the plastic gun crowd. And I own Glocks, XDs HKs CZs and have shot most of the other plastic framed guns. I think it is the fastest shooting of the lot and points the best

I like the M&P full size 9 a lot. It points well, is accurate, fits the hand, is a good size, lightweight, & is the best value in a modern carry gun out there, IMO. I have many pistols.. glock, beretta, cz, xd, smiths, revolvers, 1911s, compacts, full size, etc, & the smith m&p full size is a favorite. I have the no safety version, which i prefer. It is not my preferred carry piece, but for range shooting it is one of the best. Here are some points about it:
1. Price. It is a great value for a solid, American made, modern semi-auto.
2. Accurate.
3. Reliable. It is up there with glock in reliability.. eats everything, no jams.
4. drops brass in a nice small pile at your feet.. not like some that fling it all over.
5. Field strips easily for cleaning.
IMO, a person won' t go wrong with this pistol, if it is their only one, or just another for their collection. I would rate this just as good as a glock 17, & comparable to the xd & other modern polymer pistols.

I love my M&P9. I've shot a number of other guns competitively and carried them. I really like my M&P. I never thought I'd get a polymer or striker fired gun. I can't stand Glocks, but I love that M&P. It fits very nicely in my hand. The multiple grip inserts allowed me to fit the grip to my smaller hands. The bore line of the gun is nice and low in my hand.

The gun itself functions beautifully and shoots to POA for me right out of the box. I did put a set of night sights on it and have some action work done on it, but even out of the box it shot very well. Not the sort of gun I'd carry IWB or anything like that, but so long as you can carry strong-hip, you should be fine. Plenty of holsters and other accessories available for it too.

my wife uses a 5" MP "PRO" for our steel league stock event (I shoot a CZ Shadow which qualifies but costs 2.5X as much). shooting reloads (124 grain conical "black bullet" with 3.7 grains of Hodgon "Tite Group") she has yet to have a jam in over 30 league shoots (normally about 75 rounds per league) . every year we go to the Tactical Defense Institute for training where we put 500-750 rounds through a pistol in a day. My wife almost always uses a MP, I sometimes do (we tend to rotate pistols so each shooter will have a large supply of magazines) and we have had zero issues and we have been using them since they first became available about 9 years ago

so we have put thousands of rounds through them with no issues

Plastic guns are best for carrying. I live in Florida. It is hot and muggy. My Kel Tek P3AT won't rust or corrode.

Neither does my Starvel finished Firestar in .40. It's heavy, but accurate as hell.
My son had a Firestar, most accurate handgun I ever shot

My son had a Firestar, most accurate handgun I ever shot

Yes, they are ridiculously accurate for such a small package. That's why I carry one.

Forum List

Back