Lupus?

I will. They ran a couple of different...one that they would run there, and two that they sent out. They named them, I think that was one of them.

Well you know, I can't wear silver earrings...I get a terrible rash...

Does anyone here live with or know of someone who lives with Lupus? I was tested last week and it looks like I'm positive. I'm not too concerned about it because my symptoms aren't any of the bad ones...I don't have kidney/liver/heart issues, no dementia (so far! Knock on wood!)...I don't suffer from fatigue to amount to anything (except when anyone else would be tired too....) My primary issues are sore recurring sore throat & skin issues (which have been attributed to psoriasis, which I also have) and some joing inflammation.

So I'm not too concerned about the diagnosis as a life changing event, if I have it I've had it for a long time...but it has never really crossed my radar before, and I don't know much about it.

I've been researching it online and like most autoimmune disorders, the symptoms are all over the board.

I use to work with a guy with Lupus. Healthy as a horse and twice as mean.

It's a very managable disease and you should live a long life.

I don't have it.

It varies greatly in intensity and prognosis. 85-95 percent live 10 years...but there are some who don't.

Thank goodness, for now I don't have to worry about it!

Does anyone here live with or know of someone who lives with Lupus? I was tested last week and it looks like I'm positive. I'm not too concerned about it because my symptoms aren't any of the bad ones...I don't have kidney/liver/heart issues, no dementia (so far! Knock on wood!)...I don't suffer from fatigue to amount to anything (except when anyone else would be tired too....) My primary issues are sore recurring sore throat & skin issues (which have been attributed to psoriasis, which I also have) and some joing inflammation.

So I'm not too concerned about the diagnosis as a life changing event, if I have it I've had it for a long time...but it has never really crossed my radar before, and I don't know much about it.

I've been researching it online and like most autoimmune disorders, the symptoms are all over the board.

Just saw this thread.

Allie, my sister in law had Lupus for a very long time. She had 5 miscarriages before they diagnosed her. (Lucky for my brother and her, they were able to adopt 2 wonderful children) Anyway, sadly, she died 9 years ago. Another friend of mine had Lupus and had a baby, but was paralyzed during delivering the baby because of some mix up during the process. She lived that way for 5 years until she died about 10 years ago. (I grew up with her and her daughter and mine are best friends)

SO......needless to say, DO NOT take this lightly, and get all the medical help you can to live a full life for you and your kids!

I donate to the Lupus Foundation as much as I can.

Best Wishes and take care of yourself!

I don't have it.

It varies greatly in intensity and prognosis. 85-95 percent live 10 years...but there are some who don't.

Thank goodness, for now I don't have to worry about it!

Just saw this after my reply (I just read your first post then replied)

GLAD TO HEAR YOU DON'T HAVE LUPUS!

Great news!

Hugs...

question... do you know what test they ran? If they did not..have them run an ANA. (antinuclearantibody)

yes this can be very serious.... so take good care of yourself Allie and do what they tell you. :)

ANA is relatively non-specific for lupis. Many autoimmune disorders have positive ANAs. dsDNA and some other titers are more specific. A positive dsDNA also indicates renal involvement and a more serious disease.

But other then that, without at least a positive ANA, a diagnosis of lupis is very presumptuous.

Hugs...

question... do you know what test they ran? If they did not..have them run an ANA. (antinuclearantibody)

yes this can be very serious.... so take good care of yourself Allie and do what they tell you. :)

ANA is relatively non-specific for lupis. Many autoimmune disorders have positive ANAs. dsDNA and some other titers are more specific. A positive dsDNA also indicates renal involvement and a more serious disease.

But other then that, without at least a positive ANA, a diagnosis of lupis is very presumptuous.

lupus, geaux,

doctor please!

Hugs...

lupus, geaux,

doctor please!

LMAO! I suck at spelling.

lupus1.jpg

Glad to hear it was negative, Allie. They did the same test for me....but I too showed neg.
Tomorrow I go to physical therapist to see the xrays of my joints they did. If I can drive, that is. Right hand is pretty puffed up. THANK GOODNESS for keyboards. I can't hold a pencil for anything.

btw..when I got my blood tests, nobody explained diddly to me. I still don't know what means what. All I know is he said negative on hepc, lupus, lime disease...and he had oodles of tests done. Oh, and he said I was low on vitamin C.

Lupus antibodies secret may fight cancer...
:cool:
Autoimmune Disease Antibodies Help Fight Cancer
October 25, 2012 - Researchers report that antibodies responsible for a disease called systemic lupus may make some cancers more sensitive to treatment.
Lupus is an autoimmune disease. In this type of disorder, the immune system gets confused and instead of protecting the body against bacteria and viruses, misguided antibodies attack healthy cells and organs, including the heart, kidneys, intestines, brain and skin. Lupus can be a fatal condition. But ironically, there might also be a benefit to having lupus. For reasons scientists are just beginning to understand, about one-third fewer people with lupus develop cancer of the breast, ovaries and prostate compared to the general population. Researchers have discovered that an immune-system antibody produced by lupus patients, called 3E10, seems to sensitize cancer cells for destruction when used in conjunction with radiation treatments.

Peter Glazer is a professor of therapeutic radiology and genetics at Yale University School of Medicine in New Haven, Connecticut. He's part of a research team studying 3E10. Glazer says lupus antibodies, isolated from experimental mice, easily penetrate cancer cells, as well as normal ones. “We speculate that perhaps the anti-cancer properties that we’ve identified in this one particular lupus antibody might be found or similar properties found in antibodies that lupus patients have," said Glazer.

Glazer says 3E10 appears to be harmless to benign or healthy cells. But in cancerous cells, the antibody interferes with the genetic repair mechanism. That means the cells can't fix broken DNA strands, leaving them more vulnerable to assaults by chemotherapy and radiation. “And in that setting, the antibody was effective in killing the cancer cells all by itself," he said. Glazer says researchers working with mouse models of lupus antibodies also found that they could kill defective cells associated with a type of breast cancer, as well as some ovarian and prostate cancers, without the need for chemotherapy or radiation.

Scientists say the discovery could lead to important insights into lupus, a disease that afflicts more than five million patients around the world. It also suggests that lupus antibodies -- which have already been used safely in clinical trials of a possible lupus vaccine -- could provide new and more effective forms of treatment for a variety of cancers. An article on the potential therapy using a lupus antibody to fight cancer is published in the journal Science Translational Medicine.

Source

Now that IS interesting. Eagleseven and i had a long discussion about this very subject and possibility a while back. I did not know there was a study about it.

I have lupus. My ANA titer was 1: 3200. Yeah really. I know full well you have to hit it and hit it hard. I am on Enbrel and methotrexate. A stroke 5 years ago was crippling. But Hubs is fabulous and we do the best we can with this damn disease.

I am very happy that anyone anywhere avoids this....so congrats!

Regards from Rosie

Forum List

Back