Low Income Living

Sonny Clark

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2014
Gadsden Alabama
[ This is a piece that I wrote 11 1/2 years ago on 9/21/2003. It seems to me that it certainly could apply to today's America. ]

Low Income Living

One of the modern mysteries is how so many are living on so little income. With minimum wages twenty-five years behind the times, and the extremely high cost of living, how are we surviving? If we look at just the bare necessities to survive, a single person would be hard pressed to make it on minimum wages. I’ve often wondered what data the Federal Government calculates to arrive at the minimum wage figure. One thing for sure, they’re not using the cost of living in their calculations. It’s not uncommon in southern Arizona and southern Texas for four or five immigrant families to live in the same house and share expenses, all working at minimum wage jobs, just to survive. People all over the country are getting government assistance to supplement their low income.

A real heartbreaker is the amount our elderly are asked to survive on, considering most can’t work to supplement the small monthly check they get from the government. With economic times being what they are, now would be the perfect time for a book entitled “ A COMPLETE GUIDE TO LOW INCOME LIVING”. Don’t laugh, though many are already very experienced in this level of living, many more are joining the ranks every day. I can imagine someone living very comfortably and suddenly falling on hard times, completely lost in a new environment of low-income living. They would need all the help such a book would offer, especially the chapter on “developing new friends”. Places such as “trailer parks” and “the ghetto” would certainly have to be given a chapter in the book, to explain all the jokes about their connection to low-income living.

Low-income living will soon become the majority life-style in America, as we’re rapidly losing the middle class sector of society. In the very near future there’ll be a wide gap between the low-income and upper class sectors of society, with nothing in between. It wasn’t that long ago when America was considered the richest and most prosperous country on earth, with opportunity on every street corner. Now, America is rapidly becoming a land of low wages and vanishing prosperity for many. Though low-income living is one notch above the poor, which is one notch above the homeless, it would still be difficult for those that have been riding the wave of middle and upper middle class living to adjust to. Unfortunately, as more immigrants come into this country willing to work for minimum wages, and our jobs leave this country, the adjustment to low-income living will be a fact of life for many that are presently earning above average wages. The remedy for this economic catastrophe is very simple; raise the minimum wages and bring our jobs back to this country. What’s so hard about that? But, until that happens, low-income living is growing and here to stay.

[ This is a piece that I wrote 11 1/2 years ago on 9/21/2003. It seems to me that it certainly could apply to today's America. ]

Low Income Living

One of the modern mysteries is how so many are living on so little income. With minimum wages twenty-five years behind the times, and the extremely high cost of living, how are we surviving? If we look at just the bare necessities to survive, a single person would be hard pressed to make it on minimum wages. I’ve often wondered what data the Federal Government calculates to arrive at the minimum wage figure. One thing for sure, they’re not using the cost of living in their calculations. It’s not uncommon in southern Arizona and southern Texas for four or five immigrant families to live in the same house and share expenses, all working at minimum wage jobs, just to survive. People all over the country are getting government assistance to supplement their low income.

A real heartbreaker is the amount our elderly are asked to survive on, considering most can’t work to supplement the small monthly check they get from the government. With economic times being what they are, now would be the perfect time for a book entitled “ A COMPLETE GUIDE TO LOW INCOME LIVING”. Don’t laugh, though many are already very experienced in this level of living, many more are joining the ranks every day. I can imagine someone living very comfortably and suddenly falling on hard times, completely lost in a new environment of low-income living. They would need all the help such a book would offer, especially the chapter on “developing new friends”. Places such as “trailer parks” and “the ghetto” would certainly have to be given a chapter in the book, to explain all the jokes about their connection to low-income living.

Low-income living will soon become the majority life-style in America, as we’re rapidly losing the middle class sector of society. In the very near future there’ll be a wide gap between the low-income and upper class sectors of society, with nothing in between. It wasn’t that long ago when America was considered the richest and most prosperous country on earth, with opportunity on every street corner. Now, America is rapidly becoming a land of low wages and vanishing prosperity for many. Though low-income living is one notch above the poor, which is one notch above the homeless, it would still be difficult for those that have been riding the wave of middle and upper middle class living to adjust to. Unfortunately, as more immigrants come into this country willing to work for minimum wages, and our jobs leave this country, the adjustment to low-income living will be a fact of life for many that are presently earning above average wages. The remedy for this economic catastrophe is very simple; raise the minimum wages and bring our jobs back to this country. What’s so hard about that? But, until that happens, low-income living is growing and here to stay.

I have lived on a pay cash or don't have it basis for most of my life.

Won't mean a thing to me.

Low income living is just not that hard.

• Banned

Low Income Living

Yes, there are exception to every rule. Obviously, you're an exception. Like you, there have been times when I was considered to be poor. I survived, and now living a life without financial struggles. I'm not rich, but I have enough to pay my bills and eat good. But, you and I are not representative of the majority of poor and less fortunate. Believe it or not, many have no idea as to where their next meal is coming from. And, some of those folks were considered to be Middle and Upper Middle Class not too long ago. We have more joining the ranks of poor than we have moving up the ladder joining the ranks of Upper Middle Class and the wealthy.

Low Income Living

Yes, there are exception to every rule. Obviously, you're an exception. Like you, there have been times when I was considered to be poor. I survived, and now living a life without financial struggles. I'm not rich, but I have enough to pay my bills and eat good. But, you and I are not representative of the majority of poor and less fortunate. Believe it or not, many have no idea as to where their next meal is coming from. And, some of those folks were considered to be Middle and Upper Middle Class not too long ago. We have more joining the ranks of poor than we have moving up the ladder joining the ranks of Upper Middle Class and the wealthy.

Obamanomics

I didn't vote for him.

• Banned

Low Income Living

Obamanomics

I didn't vote for him.
I didn't vote for him either. But, our socioeconomic woes has roots that go way back, to at least the late 50's to early 60's. Obama just happens to be one of a long list that preceded him in the "Selling of America".

Low Income Living

Obamanomics

I didn't vote for him.
I didn't vote for him either. But, our socioeconomic woes has roots that go way back, to at least the late 50's to early 60's. Obama just happens to be one of a long list that preceded him in the "Selling of America".

We now have half of the country believing they should be guaranteed a middle class existence just because they were born.

This can't last forever, but, I am too old to much give a shit.

• Banned

Low Income Living

Obamanomics

I didn't vote for him.

We now have half of the country believing they should be guaranteed a middle class existence just because they were born.

I don't believe that they want it guaranteed, they simply want an opportunity to be self-supporting. The government has taken away those opportunities.

I grew up on low income, it's easier than you think.......commercialism is a deceptive practice, like buffets...

Obamanomics

I didn't vote for him.

I don't believe that they want it guaranteed, they simply want an opportunity to be self-supporting. The government has taken away those opportunities.
How..I had no problem being self employed for years and making a nice life....

Obamanomics

I didn't vote for him.

1) too stupid he was not talking about you but rather people in general
2) govt takes about 70% of income in taxes thus severely limiting those who can survive in business or in a job

Obamanomics

I didn't vote for him.

1) too stupid he was not talking about you but rather people in general
2) govt takes about 70% of income in taxes thus severely limiting those who can survive in business or in a job
70%? When I ran a business I never paid anything close to that amount.....

Obamanomics

I didn't vote for him.

Funny millions of illegals find ways to be self-supporting here, and millions of Americans can't.

And don't buy that bullshit that they live 50 in a house and can be hired at Home Depot for $1.25 an hour.

Low-income living will soon become the majority life-style in America, as we’re rapidly losing the middle class sector of society. In the very near future there’ll be a wide gap between the low-income and upper class sectors of society, with nothing in between.
While I believe you're right about a steadily widening gap between the rich and the rest in the US, I think you're mistaken when you say there will be "nothing in between" the two populations.

I think there will be a heavily armed public-private police/prison/industrial complex that will protect the rich by taxing the poor.
police_state_by_robertqualls27-d6ru5o9.jpg

What about the threat inflation poses to a pay cash lifestyle? At the moment inflation seems like a remote concern for the US consumer; however, if it ever gets started, it could turn every $10 bill under your mattress into a $5.
I have watched the 5 cent, 2/12 oz candy bar become the $1.25 6oz candy bar, in my lifetime.

Inflation of the waistline is the biggest problem America faces today.

Low-income living will soon become the majority life-style in America, as we’re rapidly losing the middle class sector of society. In the very near future there’ll be a wide gap between the low-income and upper class sectors of society, with nothing in between.
While I believe you're right about a steadily widening gap between the rich and the rest in the US, I think you're mistaken when you say there will be "nothing in between" the two populations.

I think there will be a heavily armed public-private police/prison/industrial complex that will protect the rich by taxing the poor.
police_state_by_robertqualls27-d6ru5o9.jpg
We're getting close.

Obamanomics

I didn't vote for him.

There are many individual stories of people making it in life.

Forum List

Back