Louisiana's disappearing coastline and wetlands.

You'd have to totally give up trying to control the mississippi to fix the problem.

Louisiana is actually gaining land where the Atchafalaya river discharges into the gulf.

Not surprising since they dont control it like they do the mississippi.

Actually they do, the just control it where it's trying to capture the Mississippi.

Old River Control Structure - Wikipedia

I was inferring that they dont control it to the extent they do the mississippi.

Agreed. The Atchafalaya discharge is allowed to spread out and drop off the sediments at the mouth of the river, while the Mississippi Main branch is channeled so most of the sediment shoots over the continental shelf.

As an Engineer I find the Army Corp of Engineer's attempt to control the Mississippi fascinating.
As an engineer, I find the corp of engineer's battle with mother nature ludicrous. They'll eventually lose every damn time.

Of course Katrina had nothing to do with it.....
So we should let the mississippi do whatever the fuck it wants?
1587236550481.png

Every hour and a half, Louisiana sheds another football field’s worth of land.

Seems like a hopeless situation, but sometimes that's what it takes
to wake people up.

It's not due to seal level rise, it's due to subsidence because the Mississippi river isn't allowed to flood naturally anymore during the high flow spring season.

It is due to both factors. Louisiana is Leading the Way in Real-time Sea Level Rise Monitoring

Alot of technobabble on what they are doing, and not much on what they are seeing, at least when it comes to sea level rise.

You'd have to totally give up trying to control the mississippi to fix the problem.

Louisiana is actually gaining land where the Atchafalaya river discharges into the gulf.

Actually they do, the just control it where it's trying to capture the Mississippi.

I was inferring that they dont control it to the extent they do the mississippi.

Agreed. The Atchafalaya discharge is allowed to spread out and drop off the sediments at the mouth of the river, while the Mississippi Main branch is channeled so most of the sediment shoots over the continental shelf.

As an Engineer I find the Army Corp of Engineer's attempt to control the Mississippi fascinating.
As an engineer, I find the corp of engineer's battle with mother nature ludicrous. They'll eventually lose every damn time.

That is not their position. And what would you want them to do? Allow the Mississippi to switch and basically abandon New Orleans and most of the industry along the current river that relies on the fresh water supply?

to wake people up.

It's not due to seal level rise, it's due to subsidence because the Mississippi river isn't allowed to flood naturally anymore during the high flow spring season.

It is due to both factors. Louisiana is Leading the Way in Real-time Sea Level Rise Monitoring

You mean erosian.

to wake people up.

I think many coastal areas are going to have to adapt and change their ways building and habitation. I do not we can reverse all this. The Netherlands are way ahead of the US in addressing this.

I've lived on the Gulf coast my entire life and havent seen what you're worried about.
And keep in mind,water level changes in shallow water are much more pronounced than in deep water.

to wake people up.

Alot of technobabble on what they are doing, and not much on what they are seeing, at least when it comes to sea level rise.

Dumbass, sea level is not rising. Get a friggin clue will ya. Believe me I know a little more than most folks do about measuring things to do with the earth. I cited bove just exactly how you can tell with your very own eyes. Search for the post on Kanton Island.
What you're looking at is the results of people fiddling around with the Mississippi and mother nature because they're too damned stupid to simply get out of nature's way.

That is not their position. And what would you want them to do? Allow the Mississippi to switch and basically abandon New Orleans and most of the industry along the current river that relies on the fresh water supply?

Exactly. They should never have built that shit there in the first place and it's a huge ongoing waste of taxpayer dollars that are pissed away each and every year. They'll never ever win the battle with that river or nature. All they'll do is piss away more money and more lives the longer they persist.

View attachment 324918

You dumbshit!! What do you think would cause such a dramatic change in five fucken days?
Think hard ............and look at hurricane dates.
That's why I posted it. Please.
(It's okay - I know Texans are mighty slow at times)

Seriously ??? Calling me a dumbshit, thinking I really didn't notice the mf..ing dates ? Are you that disingenuous yourself that you expect others to be or what ? My god.

to wake people up.

Dumbass, sea level is not rising. Get a friggin clue will ya. Believe me I know a little more than most folks do about measuring things to do with the earth. I cited bove just exactly how you can tell with your very own eyes. Search for the post on Kanton Island.
What you're looking at is the results of people fiddling around with the Mississippi and mother nature because they're too damned stupid to simply get out of nature's way.

Sea level is rising and will continue to rise.
Your school sucks.

View attachment 324918

You dumbshit!! What do you think would cause such a dramatic change in five fucken days?
Think hard ............and look at hurricane dates.
That's why I posted it. Please.
(It's okay - I know Texans are mighty slow at times)

Seriously ??? Calling me a dumbshit, thinking I really didn't notice the mf..ing dates ? Are you that disingenuous yourself that you expect others to be or what ? My god.

Stop fucking lying.
"Sea level is rising and will continue to rise.
Your school sucks."

to wake people up.

Sea level is rising and will continue to rise.
Your school sucks.

Some people are apparently beyond stupid and it looks like you're likely one of them. Please detail for us your background in geodecy or any branch of physical earth science. Any at all.
No poetry, physical educatio, tap dancing or gay art history just won't do.
Don't run away, tell us.

Last edited:
Stop fucking lying.
Your school sucks."
You're one more insult away from the ignore button butter cheeks.
Some people are apparently beyond stupid and it looks like you're one of them.
Nobody, including myself, ever said this was about sea level rise except for you and your fossil fuel gang. But thanks for living up to your name once again.

There are many reasons the wetlands are disappearing.

Stop fucking lying.
Your school sucks."
You're one more insult away from the ignore button butter cheeks.
Some people are apparently beyond stupid and it looks like you're one of them.
Nobody, including myself, ever said this was about sea level rise except for you and your fossil fuel gang. But thanks for living up to your name once again.

There are many reasons the wetlands are disappearing.

Go ahead cupcake.
Did you not just post this?
Your school sucks."

From the op
In 1920, New Orleans had six pumping stations, including the Melpomene. These allowed the “old swamps” to be drained and developed into new communities, such as Lakeview and Gentilly.

Building contention walls against the path of nature?

What a waste!

It will way more cheaper and wiser moving people to higher land inside and dock the boats in the new shore made by the ocean.
The ground level in New Orleans should have been raised above sea level before they ever started building there, for one thing, but Katrina was a definite wake up call. ( which they haven't ever recovered from fully....about a 1/4 million people left and never went back after that hurricane)

New Orleans proper is above sea level.
Thats why they built there back in 1718. The oldsters were smart enough not to build in the flood planes.

The ground level in New Orleans should have been raised above sea level before they ever started building there, for one thing, but Katrina was a definite wake up call. ( which they haven't ever recovered from fully....about a 1/4 million people left and never went back after that hurricane)

New Orleans was above sea level when it was built in the early 18th Century ... the land has sunk that far in 300 years ...

Not so much sunk as had a bunch of dimwits build in low lying areas around N.O. that the previous builders shunned since they flooded.

Forum List

Back