Louisiana???

Does anyone care that 13 are dead and 85,000 have registered for disaster aid? I realize President Bush isn't in office anymore so there's no political points to score, but does anyone care at all? Obama has still not returned from his vacation at Martha’s Vineyard and Hillary is MIA. Trump and Pence are touring the devastated area today.

Okay, you see, I know you want this to be Obama's Katrina.

But -

13 people dead in this flooding vs. 1800 fatalities in Katrina. Not quite the same thing.

85,000 for disaster aid in this flooding vs. hundreds of thousands displaced in Katrina.

Sorry, man. Not even close to the same thing.

Also, unlike Katrina, Homeland Security, FEMA and other government agencies are doing a pretty good job responding.

What made Katrina such a presidency-ending disaster for Bush is that he created his whole new bureaucracy for dealing with disasters, and they actually managed to make things WORSE.

Does anyone care that 13 are dead and 85,000 have registered for disaster aid? I realize President Bush isn't in office anymore so there's no political points to score, but does anyone care at all? Obama has still not returned from his vacation at Martha’s Vineyard and Hillary is MIA. Trump and Pence are touring the devastated area today.

Okay, you see, I know you want this to be Obama's Katrina.

But -

13 people dead in this flooding vs. 1800 fatalities in Katrina. Not quite the same thing.

85,000 for disaster aid in this flooding vs. hundreds of thousands displaced in Katrina.

Sorry, man. Not even close to the same thing.

Also, unlike Katrina, Homeland Security, FEMA and other government agencies are doing a pretty good job responding.

What made Katrina such a presidency-ending disaster for Bush is that he created his whole new bureaucracy for dealing with disasters, and they actually managed to make things WORSE.
Tell that to the people of Baton Rouge, they are devastated.

But Obama does not care! He will finish his golfing before he goes but 100.000 homes are gone! Flooded. 7000 people are living in shelters.

Yeah it's to bad we don't have bush to kick around anymore. ;)

Bush of course was savaged by the press for not stopping in for a presidential photo op. And on reflection Bush now believes that he should have paid a visit to New Orleans on that day, the date of which every partisan hack liberal has burned into their brain. Some sort of a flyover while he was on his way to somewhere else.

Now of course Obama is pimping out the exact same excuses Bush was for being slow to arrive for his expected presidential photo ops.

Last edited:
So why was Bush criticized so heavily?

I don't recall him being criticized for that so much as things like the federal relief efforts were held up by them debating whether the officials would be wearing DHS jackets or FEMA jackets. Some of the criticism was unfounded in so much as the Mayor of New Orleans obstructed evacuation efforts by not letting them use school buses

Nobody "didn't let them" use the school buses. That was a photographer's Monday-morning quarterback myth.

Does that mean the did use the school buses?

I don't know what facilities were used -- I had my own. But the poster claimed the mayor "didn't let them", and I know that's bullshit.

And I know that it isn't bullshit. Mayor Nagin may not have said 'don't use them' but he made no plan to do so.

"Cancer patient Earl Robicheaux, his immune system depleted by radical chemotherapy, lay in a hospital bed as Hurricane Katrina bore down on New Orleans.

Trying to leave, he thought, seemed suicidal.

But after four days in the hospital's reeking darkness, he escaped via a Black Hawk helicopter that landed on the roof of theUniversity Hospital under heavy guard because of the threat of sniper fire.

It was not the evacuation plan authorities had envisioned for its sick, its elderly and its poor. As the floodwaters recede, serious questions remain about whether New Orleans and Louisiana officials followed their own plans for evacuating people with no other way out.

The mayor's mandatory evacuation order was issued 20 hours before the storm struck the Louisiana coast, less than half the time researchers determined would be needed to get everyone out.

City officials had 550 municipal buses and hundreds of additional school buses at their disposal but made no plans to use them to get people out of New Orleans before the storm, said Chester Wilmot, a civil engineering professor at Louisiana State University and an expert in transportation planning, who helped the city put together its evacuation plan."

New Orleans strayed from evacuation plan
As I have already posted the school buses had no diesel fuel in them. The diesel fuel had been stolen by a bunch of the mayor's family members who had been hired to oversee the school bus program in the city.
TWICE his family members were caught embezzling the funds set aside for diesel fuel.
When the family members were denied any further access to money for the fuel they simply went to the buses with a tank tank and siphoning all the fuel out of the buses.
They were eventually caught and charged.
This is a matter of public record.

Yeah it's to bad we don't have bush to kick around anymore. ;)

Bush of course was savaged by the press for not stopping in for a presidential photo op. And on reflection Bush now believes that he should have paid a visit to New Orleans on that day, the date of which every partisan hack liberal has burned into their brain. Some sort of a flyover while he was on his way to somewhere else.

Now of course Obama is pimping out the exact same excuses Bush was for being slow to arrive for his expected presidential photo ops.

The difference is Bush cut his vacation short by two days to be in DC to have his administration set up rescue operations. Obama, still 3 putting the 9th hole.

I don't recall him being criticized for that so much as things like the federal relief efforts were held up by them debating whether the officials would be wearing DHS jackets or FEMA jackets. Some of the criticism was unfounded in so much as the Mayor of New Orleans obstructed evacuation efforts by not letting them use school buses

Nobody "didn't let them" use the school buses. That was a photographer's Monday-morning quarterback myth.

I don't know what facilities were used -- I had my own. But the poster claimed the mayor "didn't let them", and I know that's bullshit.

And I know that it isn't bullshit. Mayor Nagin may not have said 'don't use them' but he made no plan to do so.

"Cancer patient Earl Robicheaux, his immune system depleted by radical chemotherapy, lay in a hospital bed as Hurricane Katrina bore down on New Orleans.

But after four days in the hospital's reeking darkness, he escaped via a Black Hawk helicopter that landed on the roof of theUniversity Hospital under heavy guard because of the threat of sniper fire.

It was not the evacuation plan authorities had envisioned for its sick, its elderly and its poor. As the floodwaters recede, serious questions remain about whether New Orleans and Louisiana officials followed their own plans for evacuating people with no other way out.

The mayor's mandatory evacuation order was issued 20 hours before the storm struck the Louisiana coast, less than half the time researchers determined would be needed to get everyone out.

City officials had 550 municipal buses and hundreds of additional school buses at their disposal but made no plans to use them to get people out of New Orleans before the storm, said Chester Wilmot, a civil engineering professor at Louisiana State University and an expert in transportation planning, who helped the city put together its evacuation plan."

As I have already posted the school buses had no diesel fuel in them. The diesel fuel had been stolen by a bunch of the mayor's family members who had been hired to oversee the school bus program in the city.
TWICE his family members were caught embezzling the funds set aside for diesel fuel.
When the family members were denied any further access to money for the fuel they simply went to the buses with a tank tank and siphoning all the fuel out of the buses.

Lame excuse. They still had diesel fuel at the gas stations. Most counties have gas and diesel fuel pumps installed at the school bus parking lots.

Here is an interesting perspective from Mr. Brown

Stop Blaming Me for Hurricane Katrina

As the storm neared New Orleans, all I could do—and did do even before the federalization debate got underway—was go on television, radio and any media outlet my press team could find—and encourage people to “literally get your butts out of New Orleans before the storm hits.”

Prior to Katrina making landfall, I asked then-National Hurricane Center Director Max Mayfield to forcefully explain on a secure video conference call with Blanco and Nagin the catastrophe they were potentially facing if they failed to evacuate at least two or three days prior to landfall. When that didn’t work, I called President Bush at the ranch and implored him to call Mayor Nagin and encourage him to evacuate his city. The president called; the mayor dallied.

Nagin finally asked people to evacuate on Sunday morning for a storm that hit his city sometime after midnight that night. By that point, Amtrak had left the city with rail cars sans passengers. Airlines had evacuated Louis Armstrong International Airport with planes sans travelers. And school buses sat in their lots, soon to be flooded and ruined. The mayor’s incompetence cost lives.

Read more: Stop Blaming Me for Hurricane Katrina
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook
The night the hurricane hit Nagin and some of his "chocolate home-boys" were attending a basketball game in NYC and dining at a three star restaurant then staying in a $2000 per night at luxury penthouse suite.
ALL on the "Chocolate City's" dime of course.
They flew home the next day in a private jet.

Lame excuse. They still had diesel fuel at the gas stations. Most counties have gas and diesel fuel pumps installed at the school bus parking lots.
That's correct. There as a fuel pump depot where the buses were parked. The problem was the money that was supposed to fill the diesel fuel depot's tanks had been embezzled TWICE by member's of Nagin's family who were contracted to keep the buses filled with fuel.
After their contract was torn up by the City officials, (who wouldn't be 'bought off') the family members got a tank truck and went from bus to bus and using an electric syphon pump stole all the fuel from the buse's tanks.

So you are upset that Obama hasn't come raised the dead?
The FACT that neither Obama or Hillary has gone to the scene of the disaster speaks volumes about their interest in the victims.
These victims have a long memory!
Polls must not be showing enough support for Hillary so why bother right?
So....what have YOU done for the victims in LA?

That's correct. There as a fuel pump depot where the buses were parked. The problem was the money that was supposed to fill the diesel fuel depot's tanks had been embezzled TWICE by member's of Nagin's family who were contracted to keep the buses filled with fuel.
After their contract was torn up by the City officials, (who wouldn't be 'bought off') the family members got a tank truck and went from bus to bus and using an electric syphon pump stole all the fuel from the buse's tanks.
Riiiiiiiiiight.

While I offer no evidence to refute your claim, I do recall a news story about a young black male stealing a school bus & driving it to Houston.

While I offer no evidence to refute your claim, I do recall a news story about a young black male stealing a school bus & driving it to Houston.
I remember that quite well. He was 14 years old. He stole a school bus, loaded it up and drove to Houston.

i'm sure they are. But the problem STILL isn't anywhere near the screwup that was Katrina.

Katrina was the single largest natural disaster to hit our nation wiping out the entire gulf coast, and the southern tip of Florida.
I guess you have not heard that as far as Louisiana goes the flooding this year is worse than it was with Katrina?

i'm sure they are. But the problem STILL isn't anywhere near the screwup that was Katrina.

Katrina was the single largest natural disaster to hit our nation wiping out the entire gulf coast, and the southern tip of Florida.
I guess you have not heard that as far as Louisiana goes the flooding this year is worse than it was with Katrina?

I haven't heard that but I will take your word for it.

I

Coffins float down the street as Louisiana floods uproot caskets from graveyard

Forum List

Back