Louisiana???

Pfft. I can cite studies saying the bias is to the right, but that's not what I asked.

The question is --- how does commercial media -- which is by definition in business to make money -- profit by selling some preferred ideology?

The operative question word is "How".

Ah, so since the study, by the not exactly conservative UCLA, doesn't fit YOUR bias, it's not worthy? Yes, you absolutely did work in the media.

Like I said, head in the sand.

--- so you don't have an answer.

That's OK. There isn't one. Because it doesn't work that way, which is what I said.

I provided you with the study. You're in denial just like the Trump Tards when the polls don't go their way

I asked a question as to how that can work. It can't be answered. All you have here is a deflection away from that question.

Correct. YOU asked a question, not me. I specifically stated that the media is biased and I provided evidence to back it up. It's that simple. You are the one who went on a tangent about how they make their profits. You're the one deflecting from my claim, not the other way around. I could give a shit how they make their money. It has nothing to do with what I said. If you're so curious go figure it out yourself.

Tell that to the people of Baton Rouge, they are devastated.

i'm sure they are. But the problem STILL isn't anywhere near the screwup that was Katrina.

Katrina was the single largest natural disaster to hit our nation wiping out the entire gulf coast, and the southern tip of Florida.
I guess you have not heard that as far as Louisiana goes the flooding this year is worse than it was with Katrina?

I haven't heard that but I will take your word for it.
I
Tell that to the people of Baton Rouge, they are devastated.

i'm sure they are. But the problem STILL isn't anywhere near the screwup that was Katrina.

Katrina was the single largest natural disaster to hit our nation wiping out the entire gulf coast, and the southern tip of Florida.
I guess you have not heard that as far as Louisiana goes the flooding this year is worse than it was with Katrina?

I haven't heard that but I will take your word for it.

Coffins float down the street as Louisiana floods uproot caskets from graveyard

Yeah that's some flooding.

Hey lookie here! Obama DID make it to Baton Rouge after all. What a guy!!

proxy.jpg

Oh btw it was not an outdoor stadium it was the Superdone. The people were instructed to go there by city officials.
I don't care what it was or how those people got there. I'm talking about the conditions they endured there and how nothing was done about it in spite of the fact the Nation, which includes Bush, was watching it on tv.

I couldn't do anything about it -- but Bush could have.
I will give you that, but my understanding at the time was that even though Bush had the help he could not by law intervene until the officials of Louisiana formerly asked.

That is 100% true. The Federal Government could not send in troops and other help without a formal request from Gov. Blanco. Subsequent to the storm, President Bush put through legislation that makes an exception for such circumstances.

Blanco sent the request to the White House on Saturday, two days before landfall. Same day I became aware of it (27th).
Show me!

Google Search took 0.74 seconds.

I know, it's slow today...

Here is an interesting perspective from Mr. Brown

Stop Blaming Me for Hurricane Katrina

As the storm neared New Orleans, all I could do—and did do even before the federalization debate got underway—was go on television, radio and any media outlet my press team could find—and encourage people to “literally get your butts out of New Orleans before the storm hits.”

Prior to Katrina making landfall, I asked then-National Hurricane Center Director Max Mayfield to forcefully explain on a secure video conference call with Blanco and Nagin the catastrophe they were potentially facing if they failed to evacuate at least two or three days prior to landfall. When that didn’t work, I called President Bush at the ranch and implored him to call Mayor Nagin and encourage him to evacuate his city. The president called; the mayor dallied.

Nagin finally asked people to evacuate on Sunday morning for a storm that hit his city sometime after midnight that night. By that point, Amtrak had left the city with rail cars sans passengers. Airlines had evacuated Louis Armstrong International Airport with planes sans travelers. And school buses sat in their lots, soon to be flooded and ruined. The mayor’s incompetence cost lives.

Read more: Stop Blaming Me for Hurricane Katrina
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook

Yeah I've seen evidence that Brown was very aware of the magnitude and was calling for action with a passion, but that his hands were tied by Chertoff, the bureaucrat above his level.

Well we remember.

When we evacuated to hunker down in my parents' house I brought along a battery-operated radio and stayed up all night after the storm had passed, monitoring WWL-AM which stayed on the air throughout, taking calls from anyone who could get through and relaying whatever info there was (WWL is a 'clear channel' station audible at night over half the country). We heard a caller describe how water was starting to infiltrate his house and he could hear his neighbor calling for help. This was the first incursion of the flooding from the levee breaks, and I heard it going on, live.

Again, the storm itself did its share of damage but nothing really devastating in the city (it did more to the east). The city's devastation came from the breach of levees that were supposed to protect the city but failed in seven places. Later when we got power back on in Mississippi I looked up some overhead satellite photos and was able to find my own car, submerged up to its roof.

Pfft. I can cite studies saying the bias is to the right, but that's not what I asked.

The question is --- how does commercial media -- which is by definition in business to make money -- profit by selling some preferred ideology?

The operative question word is "How".

Ah, so since the study, by the not exactly conservative UCLA, doesn't fit YOUR bias, it's not worthy? Yes, you absolutely did work in the media.

Like I said, head in the sand.

--- so you don't have an answer.

That's OK. There isn't one. Because it doesn't work that way, which is what I said.

I provided you with the study. You're in denial just like the Trump Tards when the polls don't go their way

I asked a question as to how that can work. It can't be answered. All you have here is a deflection away from that question.

Correct. YOU asked a question, not me. I specifically stated that the media is biased and I provided evidence to back it up. It's that simple. You are the one who went on a tangent about how they make their profits. You're the one deflecting from my claim, not the other way around. I could give a shit how they make their money. It has nothing to do with what I said. If you're so curious go figure it out yourself.

I uh, already have figured it out, long ago. That's exactly why I pose the question -- because it can't be answered in any way that supports your position.

The fact is, remains, and always has been, that nobody in commercial "news" media makes a dime by pushing an ideology. They make their dimes and dollars on collecting the attention of enough eyeballs to sell advertising, because that's how the system works and that's entirely what it's all about. The news is just a tool to achieve that.

That's exactly WHY we get all this bullshit news about the private lives of who-cares "celebrities", fires and accidents that involve few people outside the area, angst and fear and loathing and scandals, however contrived. Because that's what sells, and that's where the money is. NOT in pushing some ideology.

So yes there is absolutely a bias, and what I just described is its basis.

Here is an interesting perspective from Mr. Brown

Stop Blaming Me for Hurricane Katrina

As the storm neared New Orleans, all I could do—and did do even before the federalization debate got underway—was go on television, radio and any media outlet my press team could find—and encourage people to “literally get your butts out of New Orleans before the storm hits.”

Prior to Katrina making landfall, I asked then-National Hurricane Center Director Max Mayfield to forcefully explain on a secure video conference call with Blanco and Nagin the catastrophe they were potentially facing if they failed to evacuate at least two or three days prior to landfall. When that didn’t work, I called President Bush at the ranch and implored him to call Mayor Nagin and encourage him to evacuate his city. The president called; the mayor dallied.

Nagin finally asked people to evacuate on Sunday morning for a storm that hit his city sometime after midnight that night. By that point, Amtrak had left the city with rail cars sans passengers. Airlines had evacuated Louis Armstrong International Airport with planes sans travelers. And school buses sat in their lots, soon to be flooded and ruined. The mayor’s incompetence cost lives.

Read more: Stop Blaming Me for Hurricane Katrina
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook
The night the hurricane hit Nagin and some of his "chocolate home-boys" were attending a basketball game in NYC and dining at a three star restaurant then staying in a $2000 per night at luxury penthouse suite.
ALL on the "Chocolate City's" dime of course.
They flew home the next day in a private jet.

Ha ha. Link?

Like any major historical event Katrina generates a ton of mythology pulled from the proverbial ass. I've seen message board posters try to float, pun intended, the idea that the governor evacuated and hid out in Texas or somewhere for the whole time, which is also absolute bullshit. I watched her updates from Baton Rouge the whole time.

Yes, it was. And Bush's gross incompetence made it that much worse.

But yet only 13 people lost their lives as opposed to the 1800 who lost their lives as a result of Katrina.

That sounds like a disaster response that knows what it is doing.

Does anyone care that 13 are dead and 85,000 have registered for disaster aid? I realize President Bush isn't in office anymore so there's no political points to score, but does anyone care at all? Obama has still not returned from his vacation at Martha’s Vineyard and Hillary is MIA. Trump and Pence are touring the devastated area today.

We don't need Obama to come here personally. Unlike Shrub, he appointed a FEMA director that is actually competent at his job.

Fema has done what? Franklin Graham has shown up with Samaritans Purse. That will do more good than Fema.

Nobody "didn't let them" use the school buses. That was a photographer's Monday-morning quarterback myth.

Does that mean the did use the school buses?

I don't know what facilities were used -- I had my own. But the poster claimed the mayor "didn't let them", and I know that's bullshit.

And I know that it isn't bullshit. Mayor Nagin may not have said 'don't use them' but he made no plan to do so.

"Cancer patient Earl Robicheaux, his immune system depleted by radical chemotherapy, lay in a hospital bed as Hurricane Katrina bore down on New Orleans.

Trying to leave, he thought, seemed suicidal.

But after four days in the hospital's reeking darkness, he escaped via a Black Hawk helicopter that landed on the roof of theUniversity Hospital under heavy guard because of the threat of sniper fire.

It was not the evacuation plan authorities had envisioned for its sick, its elderly and its poor. As the floodwaters recede, serious questions remain about whether New Orleans and Louisiana officials followed their own plans for evacuating people with no other way out.

The mayor's mandatory evacuation order was issued 20 hours before the storm struck the Louisiana coast, less than half the time researchers determined would be needed to get everyone out.

City officials had 550 municipal buses and hundreds of additional school buses at their disposal but made no plans to use them to get people out of New Orleans before the storm, said Chester Wilmot, a civil engineering professor at Louisiana State University and an expert in transportation planning, who helped the city put together its evacuation plan."

New Orleans strayed from evacuation plan
As I have already posted the school buses had no diesel fuel in them. The diesel fuel had been stolen by a bunch of the mayor's family members who had been hired to oversee the school bus program in the city.
TWICE his family members were caught embezzling the funds set aside for diesel fuel.
When the family members were denied any further access to money for the fuel they simply went to the buses with a tank tank and siphoning all the fuel out of the buses.
They were eventually caught and charged.
This is a matter of public record.

While I offer no evidence to refute your claim, I do recall a news story about a young black male stealing a school bus & driving it to Houston.
There were hundreds of school buses throughout the general area that were drivable.
Some were commandeered.
I am referring only to the school buses parked on school property parking lots.

Does anyone care that 13 are dead and 85,000 have registered for disaster aid? I realize President Bush isn't in office anymore so there's no political points to score, but does anyone care at all? Obama has still not returned from his vacation at Martha’s Vineyard and Hillary is MIA. Trump and Pence are touring the devastated area today.

We don't need Obama to come here personally. Unlike Shrub, he appointed a FEMA director that is actually competent at his job.

Judging by the people giving interviews you speak for yourself. How much under water are you?

Trump donated one hundred grand to a church while he was there! Is obummer even there yet?

So you are upset that Obama hasn't come raised the dead?[/QUOTE]

He is supporting Hillary so there is that.... (pretty much the same as trying to raise the dead)

Forum List

Back