Liz Cheney: The U.S. Is ‘Sleepwalking Into Dictatorship’

He has no one "by the balls", and this is still not the definition of a dictator.

Learn what words mean. Drop the hyperbole level a few hundred degrees. Grow up.

You're being silly.
You are playing totally ignorant. Wait, you are not playing at all. You think Netanyahu and Zelensky are in charge? Come on man.

You must be using the Trumpster definition of "dictator".

Just stop. I'm embarrassed for you.
Ok well then for comparison (and I dont think Biden is a dictator) how was Trump a dictator? In other words what did Trump do differently than Biden that makes him a dictator and Biden not one.

Ok well then for comparison (and I dont think Biden is a dictator) how was Trump a dictator? In other words what did Trump do differently than Biden that makes him a dictator and Biden not one.
He wasn't.

He has made it clear that next time around, he'll do things differently, surrounding himself only with proven loyalists instead of anyone who won't obediently do exactly what he says. He also wants to be able to fire anyone who works in the Federal government, and staff all levels of the Federal government with loyalists, as well.

Will that lead to a dictatorship? I don't know. I do know about his affinity for dictators, and I suspect he'd like something closer to an Orban or a Pinochet. I also believe the people around him, like Miller and Bannon and Patel, would like that too.

Will that happen? I don't know.

He wasn't.

He has made it clear that next time around, he'll do things differently, surrounding himself only with proven loyalists instead of anyone who won't obediently do exactly what he says. He also wants to be able to fire anyone who works in the Federal government, and staff all levels of the Federal government with loyalists, as well.

Will that lead to a dictatorship? I don't know. I do know about his affinity for dictators, and I suspect he'd like something closer to an Orban or a Pinochet. I also believe the people around him, like Miller and Bannon and Patel, would like that too.

You should market your fiction to book publishers.

Trump at no time was a Dictator. Stop playing hopscotch with this issue.

He wasn't.

Let's say he does all that. Let's say he fires literally everyone in the Federal Bureaucracy and inserts only people who voted for him and sign pledges of loyalty under penalty of death. (that can't happen but whatever) How does that lead to a dictatorship? Does Congress suddenly cease to exist? The SCOTUS? The Constitution? Or are you saying that the bureaucracy has more power than anyone else in Government? If that's true we've already lost democracy and Trump is irrelevant.

Let's say he does all that. Let's say he fires literally everyone in the Federal Bureaucracy and inserts only people who voted for him and sign pledges of loyalty under penalty of death. (that can't happen but whatever) How does that lead to a dictatorship? Does Congress suddenly cease to exist? The SCOTUS? The Constitution? Or are you saying that the bureaucracy has more power than anyone else in Government? If that's true we've already lost democracy and Trump is irrelevant.
As I said, I don't know what it leads to. I don't know what they have planned outside of what they have said. I'm not one to make predictions.

What I do think is that the GQP is blowing it. There is a link in my sig to a thread in which I said that if the party does blow it, I worry the response would take us too far to the Left. I don't want that, because I'm not a leftist.

There are reasonable people in the Republican party and across the political spectrum who share the same concern.

As I said, I don't know what it leads to. I don't know what they have planned outside of what they have said. I'm not one to make predictions.

What I do think is that the GQP is blowing it. There is a link in my sig to a thread in which I said that if the party does blow it, I worry the response would take us too far to the Left. I don't want that, because I'm not a leftist.

There are reasonable people in the Republican party and across the political spectrum who share the same concern.
Im not asking what "they have planned" Im asking what is even in the realm of the possible that they can do which leads to Trump being a dictator. Given the scenario I laid out (which is a fantasy which could never happen) what's the path to dictatorship?

Trump has "told us what he will do," the Republican former congresswoman said in preview clips from an interview.

Liz Cheney, the former Republican representative from Wyoming, expressed deep concern in an interview about American democracy’s ability to survive another four-year presidential term for Donald Trump.

In clips shared Friday from the interview that will air on “CBS News Sunday Morning,” Cheney told host Josh Dickerson that Americans can’t entirely rely on Congress and the judicial system to rein in Trump ― the clear front-runner at this point for the GOP presidential nomination despite facing 91 felony charges linked to his 2016 campaign, his 2020 reelection loss and his mishandling of classified documents.

“He’s told us what he will do. It’s very easy to see the steps that he will take,” Cheney said.

“People who say ‘Well, if he’s elected, it’s not that dangerous because we have all of these checks and balances’ don’t fully understand the extent to which the Republicans in Congress today have been co-opted. … One of the things that we see happening today is a sort of a sleepwalking into dictatorship in the United States.”

Johnson was one of the biggest cheerleaders of Trump’s ill-fated attempt to claim victory in the 2020 election won by Joe Biden. Shortly after the election, Johnson led an amicus brief backing a Texas lawsuit asking the U.S. Supreme Court to overturn the vote.

Cheney raised similar concerns about Johnson during a podcast appearance last month.

In a quote from the interview released by CBS News, Cheney slammed newly elected House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) as someone who “knows ... that what he’s doing and saying is wrong, but he’s willing to do it in an effort to please Donald Trump.”

Liz Cheney: The U.S. Is ‘Sleepwalking Into Dictatorship’

I totally agree! It's a scary and dangerous path that we're on! What do you think?

Liz Cheney's Trump Derangement Syndrome has gotten so bad she might need to seek medical help. The voters of Wyoming have told her to take a hike. Now she's trying desperately to figure out some place she can run for office as a "conservative" who hates Trump!

Forum List

Back