Lindsey Graham calls on US to 'terrorize' drug cartels after killings

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
Yes, I'm all for this!!

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) called on the Biden administration and Congress to “unleash" the U.S. military against Mexican cartels following the kidnappings and killings of U.S. citizens in Matamoros, Tamaulipas.

“It's time now to get serious and use all the tools in our toolbox, not just in the prosecution way, not just in the law enforcement lane, but in the military lane as well,” Graham said during a press conference in Washington on Wednesday afternoon.

These killings will destroy Mexican tourism.
Nobody will take the risk of traveling into Mexico

The Mexican government will have to crack down HARD on the cartels or else lose their tourism market

I won’t be surprised if the cartel turns in those who did it just to keep the peace

The Mexican government will have to crack down HARD on the cartels or else lose their tourism market

I won’t be surprised if the cartel turns in those who did it just to keep the peace
I wish. I doubt anything at all will change. I've been following the situation in Mexico a little, which has deteriorated to essentially civil war. The criminals are well ahead. They run the country. Whoever wants to kidnap Americans will, and won't suffer at all for it, IMO.

I am all for killing threats to my country wherever they are. It does worry me about the legion crossing the Rubicon.

I heard about this minutes after Graham said it. Absolutely nothing will come of it, of course. In 1916 we sent in General Black Jack Pershing and regular troops; now? Crickets.

But note that Graham is using Trump's tactic of taking a radical but very popular position and expressing it. I think Graham is now running for vice president.

It will mean a war of terror if we do. I can't say I'm against holding the cartels accountable but if we do, we need to understand that they will kill a lot more Americans, on our own soil. Car bombs, arson, kidnapping. IF we decide to go after them, we'd better be prepared for it to get seriously ugly. As soon as they strike back, we'd need to immediately decapitate their organizations with targeted assassinations.

I wish. I doubt anything at all will change. I've been following the situation in Mexico a little, which has deteriorated to essentially civil war. The criminals are well ahead. They run the country. Whoever wants to kidnap Americans will, and won't suffer at all for it, IMO.

There is a line you don’t cross

Murdering tourists in the middle of the day in a border town crosses that line. If tourists do not feel safe, they will not come.

Someone in the cartel screwed up big time and is bringing unwanted heat onto the cartel. I wouldn’t be surprised if they turn over the killers just to end the heat.

It will mean a war of terror if we do. I can't say I'm against holding the cartels accountable but if we do, we need to understand that they will kill a lot more Americans, on our own soil. Car bombs, arson, kidnapping. IF we decide to go after them, we'd better be prepared for it to get seriously ugly. As soon as they strike back, we'd need to immediately decapitate their organizations with targeted assassinations.
We also need to dry up demand.

Murdering tourists in the middle of the day in a border town crosses that line. If tourists do not feel safe, they will not come.

Someone in the cartel screwed up big time and is bringing unwanted heat onto the cartel. I wouldn’t be surprised if they turn over the killers just to end the heat.
That was true years ago. This is no longer the case and has not been for a long time.

There was once a time when tourism to Mexico was a greater monetary force than drugs but now the sad reality is that the drug cartels have more power in Mexico than the truism industry. The latter will cease to exist before the cartels are brought down by the government.

I don't see it. I would be amazed if the Biden administration --- or the current Mexican president --- does anything whatsoever. We have such a crime wave going on here that apparently can't be stopped either, these impotent governments will have to leave it to citizens to have the sense to stay out of Mexico (and stay out of American cities). I don't think there is any heat on the Mexicans ---- I mean, the cartels have murdered dozens and dozens of Mexicans all at once, repeatedly, and nothing at all was ever done! They can't stop the murdering; the cartels are stronger than any government. They own Mexico, IMO.

But you've got me interested; I'm watching now to see if anything at all changes, or any of the murderers are caught.

Well, except that when people visit Mexico to have a good time...they go to Cozumel, Acapulco, Cancun, Cabo, and Mexico City. They DON'T go to Matamoros or Juarez. I mean the State Department did have a Level 4 no travel alert out.

That was true years ago. This is no longer the case and has not been for a long time.

There was once a time when tourism to Mexico was a greater monetary force than drugs but now the sad reality is that the drug cartels have more power in Mexico than the truism industry. The latter will cease to exist before the cartels are brought down by the government.
I think the Mexican Government has conceded a lot to the Drug Cartels. As long as they were killing each other, the Government stayed out.

I don’t think they are willing to concede tourism. Especially in the border towns. They have to make a show of cracking down on the cartel. If they won’t, the US will.

Better for the cartel to turn in the guys who did it and allow Mexico to take credit for catching them.

That's it. Tourism simply doesn't matter relative to the huge, huge drug trade, pushing fentanyl north and all the other drugs. Hard on the hotel-keepers, but the cartels don't care.

Kidnapping is a huge industry in many countries now as law and order break down everywhere. Looks like Mexico is cashing in on kidnapping $$.

I don’t think they are willing to concede tourism. Especially in the border towns. They have to make a show of cracking down on the cartel. If they won’t, the US will.
Well --- how would the U.S. crack down?? It's not obvious. Pershing went after Pancho Villa, who invaded Brownville with Mexican troops. This is not such a simple situation. For one thing, it's not connected directly with the drug cartels: it's the new kidnapping industry building up in Mexico. Haiti, too. For another thing, we'd have to take over Mexico, declare war on it, and while that actually would be defending the country, the Biden Administration prefers to fidaddle around in Ukraine where nothing really matters to us.

Nothing will happen, IMO --- except now Senator Graham has thrown his hat in the ring.

Well, except that when people visit Mexico to have a good time...they go to Cozumel, Acapulco, Cancun, Cabo, and Mexico City. They DON'T go to Matamoros or Juarez. I mean the State Department did have a Level 4 no travel alert out.
Matamoros, Juarez, Nogales, Tijuana all see significant day trippers looking for bargains and pharmaceuticals, medical and dental procedures.
Tourists felt safe if they went in the daytime and stayed in tourist areas.

Now, they don’t

Matamoros, Juarez, Nogales, Tijuana all see significant day trippers looking for bargains and pharmaceuticals, medical and dental procedures.

Now, they don’t
There is just so much money in drugs. I am sure there are many authorities on the take in Mexico, cause the gangs can afford to buy them. Kill the gangsters and dry up demand. Or we keep what we have.

Now, they don’t
Chance you take venturing into a lot countries in this world. Some more extreme than others.

The problem the West has is that they think everyone plays by the same rules they do. That is a massive mistake. There is NOTHING too heinous or hideous that they won't do.
That has been our biggest problem since Vietnam. The moment you slap restrictive Rules of Engagement on our fighting people you have at best mortally ham strung us and at worst already lost the fight.

Forum List

Back