Limits on freedom in the US

Outrage after Netflix pulls comedy show criticising Saudi Arabia

Netflix has taken down an episode of a satirical comedy show critical of Saudi Arabia in the country after officials from the kingdom complained, sparking criticism from Human Rights Watch, which said the act undermined the streaming service’s “claim to support artistic freedom”.

It comes three months after the brutal killing of the Saudi dissident and Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi – which US senators have blamed on the Saudi crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman – and as the war in Yemen continues to devastate the country.

The American comedian Hasan Minhaj was critical of the Saudi heir in an episode of the standup show Patriot Act, delivering a wide-ranging monologue mocking the Saudis’ evolving account of what happened inside the country’s consulate in Istanbul in October, when the journalist was killed.

I sort of think that they are a private company and can do whatever is in their interests. But it does make all these claims of "freedom" in perspective.
How does this put claims of freedom in perspective? You seem mentally challenged
I am showing that there are limits on your freedom .

No.

It shows you may say what you will but you have no protection against possible consequences.

Netflix has taken down an episode of a satirical comedy show critical of Saudi Arabia in the country after officials from the kingdom complained, sparking criticism from Human Rights Watch, which said the act undermined the streaming service’s “claim to support artistic freedom”.

It comes three months after the brutal killing of the Saudi dissident and Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi – which US senators have blamed on the Saudi crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman – and as the war in Yemen continues to devastate the country.

The American comedian Hasan Minhaj was critical of the Saudi heir in an episode of the standup show Patriot Act, delivering a wide-ranging monologue mocking the Saudis’ evolving account of what happened inside the country’s consulate in Istanbul in October, when the journalist was killed.

I sort of think that they are a private company and can do whatever is in their interests. But it does make all these claims of "freedom" in perspective.
How does this put claims of freedom in perspective? You seem mentally challenged

What "limits" to my liberty are you referring to? Can you as a British citizen simply go out and purchase a firearm? How about your householders and the use of force against intruders? What about property rights? Can you criticize Muslims, gays, or transvestites without being arrested for "hate speech"? Can you even own a knife with a sharp point? Do you have a constitution that guarantees your first amendment rights to free speech, or to arm yourselves?

No. You are not free. You are a slave to whatever your government decides is best for you.
We vote in the government. Putin appoints your government.

That thing you see when you open your eyes is your colon.

Not with your thread premise.

Freedom of speech, freedom of expression, freedom of the press concerns solely the relationship between government and those governed, not between or among private persons and private entities – such as Netflix and its subscribers.

No ‘freedom’ was ‘limited’ the consequence of Netflix canceling one of its shows.

And it’s already understood and accepted that our rights, freedoms, and liberties are not ‘unlimited’ – they’re subject to reasonable restrictions and regulation by government consistent with relevant Constitutional case law.

Shit Tommyboy.

You know you stepped in a whole pile of stupid shit when even our fellow lefties are correcting you.

Run away!

KEEP RUNNING!!!

Everyone would deny SOME PEOPLE "rights" and "freedoms".

There is no doubt that the conservatives on this board would censor and silence all things liberal.

You lie

Tommy is jealous of and despises the U.S.

Tommy is jealous of and despises the U.S.

He's stupid too.

To have or not have Netflix is a personal choice which is what freedom is all about.
It's not like the BBC, mate.

Uh... the first sentence of your article states it was taken down in Saudi Arabia, not the United States.
Sure and we can judge by cancelling our subscription.
We did it.

hahaha... well that was stupid

You aren't much for reading comprehension, are you? The first sentence says that the company Netflix removed it from their service after the kingdom of Saudi Arabia complained.

In other words, the Saudis complained, and Netflix decided to remove the show. Netflix basically caved in to them. I wonder if any message was delivered to them from Trump concerning this matter?

That's secret.

Global companies cave to foreign countries all the time.

Just look at how Hollywood tries to put something good about China in every blockbuster they can, because they have to kiss the Chinese government’s ass in order to get approval to play the movie in China.

What "limits" to my liberty are you referring to? Can you as a British citizen simply go out and purchase a firearm? How about your householders and the use of force against intruders? What about property rights? Can you criticize Muslims, gays, or transvestites without being arrested for "hate speech"? Can you even own a knife with a sharp point? Do you have a constitution that guarantees your first amendment rights to free speech, or to arm yourselves?

No. You are not free. You are a slave to whatever your government decides is best for you.
We vote in the government. Putin appoints your government.
#whatacrockoffuckingbullshit

What is 'freedom' to you people?

It just seems less and less as this rock assumes the 7Bil level, like too many rats in a cage ,we're all out to eat each other

Can we possibly agree it a concept existing only if the majority signs onto allowing it to be the common denominator amongst us all?

'Cmon, be the hero.....just for one day.....

I just watched the episode that was banned.

I can see why it's banned in Saudi Arabia. He was honest about their leader and the saudi royal family. Which the truth isn't very nice and I can see why they don't want their people to know it.

However just banning a show isn't going to stop truth. Especially with people who want it.

Here's a better idea, don't do things that would disgust your people so much you have to have it banned so your people don't see that truth.

I was free to watch it.

It's not banned in America.

Uh... the first sentence of your article states it was taken down in Saudi Arabia, not the United States.
We did it.

You aren't much for reading comprehension, are you? The first sentence says that the company Netflix removed it from their service after the kingdom of Saudi Arabia complained.

In other words, the Saudis complained, and Netflix decided to remove the show. Netflix basically caved in to them. I wonder if any message was delivered to them from Trump concerning this matter?

It was banned in Saudi Arabia. Not the United States.

I just watched the episode banned.

It was very good.

I just watched the episode that was banned.

I can see why it's banned in Saudi Arabia. He was honest about their leader and the saudi royal family. Which the truth isn't very nice and I can see why they don't want their people to know it.

However just banning a show isn't going to stop truth. Especially with people who want it.

Here's a better idea, don't do things that would disgust your people so much you have to have it banned so your people don't see that truth.
Correct.

And this illustrates the idiocy of governments attempting to ‘ban’ that which they fear.

Had the Saudi government not made an issue of this, it’s likely few would have watched or paid attention.

But by making the program an issue, the Saudi regime has succeeded in only bring more attention to the repressive nature of its government, and the role the government played in the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi – this very thread is further proof of that.

Wow, Netflix pulls an episode of a show and you cry but Facebook and Twitter try to silence the voices of fringers on the right and you stay silent.

Funny how that works, right?

As for Freedoms it was not the Government pulling the episode but a private entity which is their right.

You seem to confuse the damn two and believe they are the same.

We did it.

It was banned in Saudi Arabia. Not the United States.

I just watched the episode banned.

It was very good.

Well hell bells!

So it was Saudi Arabia not wanting it to be seen...

I guess that destroyed Tommy anti-American rant, wait he will just ignore your response because he hate reality...

Forum List

Back