Lili Marlene

Confederate Soldier

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2021
Southerner trapped in a yankee state
I don't think anyone on this nut house forum watches anything like this, maybe @rupol2000, but not much else. Today, I bring you ParaLight Worx's "Lili Marlene".

Lili Marlene was written in the First World War in 1915 by a drafted German teacher. He originally wrote it as a poem, using the name of his girlfriend "'Lili" and of another friend of his, a nurse, named "Marlene". The poem was put to music in 1937 and was a smash hit, until Goebbels, Reich Propaganda Minister, changed it up because it was discouraging soldiers from fighting. Never the less, the people wanted the song, so he finally relented.

The below videos are from German short film maker, ParaLight Worx. I watch the WWII short films they make, but they do other historical pieces as well. American Hollywood movies have as a rule, been bad at portraying German soldiers during WWII. The stereotype of heartless supermen is way overused, and is not as historically accurate as some would have you believe. ParaLight Worx fixes that stigma, and gives a rare look at the German side of the war, and how their soldiers felt.

The video below is a short film called Lili Marlene, where two soldiers, one American, and the Other German, find their paths crossed in Normandy after the D-Day landings. It is a very touching story. The Germans speak German, and the Americans, though portrayed by German actors, speak good English. The German scenes are subtitled in English.

If you watch nothing else , at least give this song a listen. The girl who sang it did it wonderfully, even better than the WWII Marlene Dietrich version if I say so myself.

If you liked the videos, I would highly recommend watching their short film series, "Dusty Faces", a fictional story of a young Machine Gunner named Otto, as he and his squad fight a retreat after the battle of Kursk, and towards Germany. It is in my opinion, better than any military movie Hollywood has bothered to put out.

My fav version of Lili Marlene....

Here is Marlene Dietrich with Americans troops in WW2 whom she helped.

Marlene Dietrich - Lili Marlene (Deutsch Live)​

Just to add.... the one and only Ernest Hemingway was very fond of Lili Marlene, Marlene yes.....:)

1640139174468.png

I don't think anyone on this nut house forum watches anything like this, maybe @rupol2000, but not much else. Today, I bring you ParaLight Worx's "Lili Marlene".

Lili Marlene was written in the First World War in 1915 by a drafted German teacher. He originally wrote it as a poem, using the name of his girlfriend "'Lili" and of another friend of his, a nurse, named "Marlene". The poem was put to music in 1937 and was a smash hit, until Goebbels, Reich Propaganda Minister, changed it up because it was discouraging soldiers from fighting. Never the less, the people wanted the song, so he finally relented.

The below videos are from German short film maker, ParaLight Worx. I watch the WWII short films they make, but they do other historical pieces as well. American Hollywood movies have as a rule, been bad at portraying German soldiers during WWII. The stereotype of heartless supermen is way overused, and is not as historically accurate as some would have you believe. ParaLight Worx fixes that stigma, and gives a rare look at the German side of the war, and how their soldiers felt.

The video below is a short film called Lili Marlene, where two soldiers, one American, and the Other German, find their paths crossed in Normandy after the D-Day landings. It is a very touching story. The Germans speak German, and the Americans, though portrayed by German actors, speak good English. The German scenes are subtitled in English.

If you watch nothing else , at least give this song a listen. The girl who sang it did it wonderfully, even better than the WWII Marlene Dietrich version if I say so myself.

If you liked the videos, I would highly recommend watching their short film series, "Dusty Faces", a fictional story of a young Machine Gunner named Otto, as he and his squad fight a retreat after the battle of Kursk, and towards Germany. It is in my opinion, better than any military movie Hollywood has bothered to put out.

I love that song.

Just to add.... the one and only Ernest Hemingway was very fond of Lili Marlene, Marlene yes.....:)

View attachment 578416
Yes, and pronounced "Mar-Lane-uh."

My parents played this song (in an English version) over and over when I was five or six in the mid-late sixties. I never asked them why they were so fond of it, East Texas rednecks that they were. It must have been a song they heard a lot as pre/early teens during WWII.

I love the song. Didn't know the background.

Forum List

Back