Liberal Christians

What do you define as being both liberal and christian?

Given that this board's working definition of "liberal" is somewhat insane, finding a liberal here is either very easy or completely impossible

Being a liberal in this place means being anybody who doesn't 100% agree with the neo-con's lunatics POV.

And NOBODY can really agree on what being a christian means, either, since that ranges from far right wing nonsense to something wholly different than that.

I'd like to meet you. I know you exist.

view.image

Working to Reduce Poverty in America - Catholic Charities USA

This is not a Christian liberal.

Nothing liberal about Catholic Charities.

:cuckoo:

Yes you do, you just insult them so they ignore you.

I want to talk to some LIBERAL Christians, not right wingers.

Most liberals that are religious are Catholics....and the catholic church is equivalent to a cult...IMHO!

yeah, darn those crazy catholics for actually REALLY being pro life and not liking pretend wars of choice or the death penalty.

how "cultlike" of them.

p.s. you're wrong anyway.... episcopalians are liberal, too. they're not so fond of gay-bashing in addition to the things that bug catholics.

good try, though.:eusa_whistle:

I want to talk to some LIBERAL Christians, not right wingers.

Most liberals that are religious are Catholics....and the catholic church is equivalent to a cult...IMHO!

yeah, darn those crazy catholics for actually REALLY being pro life and not liking pretend wars of choice or the death penalty.

how "cultlike" of them.

p.s. you're wrong anyway.... episcopalians are liberal, too. they're not so fond of gay-bashing in addition to the things that bug catholics.

Interestingly, I know several Episcopalians.... they're all conservatives. :eusa_angel: I think it's silly to assume things about people based on their religion. For instances, I know not one single Catholic who 'bashes gays'. Go figure.

There's soemthing like one billion people who don the title "Christian".

Their range of beliefs and attitudes is all over the map, even within the mainstream churches, like the RC chuirch, Baptists ect.

Given that?

Trying to impose ONE DOGMA and calling that Christian is kinda silly

how "cultlike" of them.

Interestingly, I know several Episcopalians.... they're all conservatives. :eusa_angel: I think it's silly to assume things about people based on their religion. For instances, I know not one single Catholic who 'bashes gays'. Go figure.

you've never been to the episcopal church in NYC, have you? as a general rule, they tend to be more liberal. but thanks for the anecdotal comments.

catholics don't exactly fight for gay rights. i think that was my point. i'd also be less cranky about it, b/c i was saying catholics tend to be more consistent on the subject of "life" than fundies are.

and really... i was responding to someone who just called y'all a cult.

doncha think that rightwingnut loon is the one you should try take to the woodshed? :D

Last edited:
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." Gandhi

I would think all religious people would be liberal? You mean I got that wrong? Heck, we exist for a second in time and eternity waits with long arms, so why worry about money or property or things, worry about the hungry the sick the homeless the needy, help others and do not whine about material things, and if you are blessed as my religious friends sometimes say, help others on their way to that large time that makes this time so short and meaningless.

Jesus Is A Liberal - Home Page

Sojourners: Christians for Justice and Peace

Liberal Christian Dating Site, Liberal Christian Personals, Liberal Christian Singles | Free Online Dating

"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good." Thomas Paine

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion." Abraham Lincoln

There's soemthing like one billion people who don the title "Christian".

Their range of beliefs and attitudes is all over the map, even within the mainstream churches, like the RC chuirch, Baptists ect.

Given that?

Trying to impose ONE DOGMA and calling that Christian is kinda silly

In the thirties, you couldn't be Christian and Republican because the GOP was the "party of the rich and privelged" and not seen to be following Christ's help with the poor.

Now, evangelicals claim you cannot be Christian and liberal.

I say, nonsense.

I do not think I am a liberal, I know you are not one.

I am definitely a liberal. You are not.

You're more 'progressive' than 'liberal'. Real liberals do not seek to tell others how to live.

And I find your remarks about Catholics offensive, childish, and generally dumb.

Conservatives tell gays how to live. I don't tell Catholics how to live. I point out they politically organize against gay marriage. I am the most liberal poster at USMB. I don't think I've met a poster here whose views lean as left as mine do.

Obama to me, is moderate, nearly a Republican.

Last edited:

Liberals focus first on liberty and equal rights. They speak up even when someone who they hate is being persecuted or oppressed. Liberals follow the principles of the Age of Enlightenment, they believe that the government rules only by consent, and that individuals have fundamental rights to life, liberty, and property. Those are the core beliefs of liberals. They see different ways to get to those beliefs, so there is a broad spectrum of beliefs in liberalism, but if you do not hold those core beliefs, you are not a liberal.

I am closer to those core values that you are. Most conservatives on this board are closer to those core beliefs than you are. Like I said, I am closer to being a liberal than most liberals on this board, mostly because most liberals on this board are actually progressives.

My political positions lean decidedly left, and more left than anyone else here.

If you want to meet Liberal Christians, try Unity Churches or Unitarian / Universalists.

As far as on the message board, what do you mean by a Liberal Christian? And How Liberal? I mean, I'm a Christian but am very liberal on all the things that Michele Bachman and other whackjobs are Conservative about. On the other side, I'm very Conservative in the opposite direction of most of the things Bush & Obama have pulled in the last 10 years.

Thank you. I'd like to talk to left leaning Christians.

Jesus was a liberal.
The conservatives had him crucified.

Just an FYI I got negged for this post.

and the post is true, the conservatives of the time were the church elders and such Pahrasies ans sagucese (spelling is all hosed I know).
Jesus was a liberal who did not shun anyone and helped the poor and downtrodden.
And preached a way to heaven that bypassed the church establishment.

Last edited:

Why? I'm not being sarcastic or disrespectful, just curious. I suspect those who hold the values which Jesus is purported to have advanced are those you would "like to meet", vis a vis those who attend church without living those values.

Yes, that's correct. I want to meet people who hold the values Jesus caught closely and whose politics lean left.

I also want to talk to others who lean left and who aren't Christians.

Liberals focus first on liberty and equal rights. They speak up even when someone who they hate is being persecuted or oppressed. Liberals follow the principles of the Age of Enlightenment, they believe that the government rules only by consent, and that individuals have fundamental rights to life, liberty, and property. Those are the core beliefs of liberals. They see different ways to get to those beliefs, so there is a broad spectrum of beliefs in liberalism, but if you do not hold those core beliefs, you are not a liberal.

I am closer to those core values that you are. Most conservatives on this board are closer to those core beliefs than you are. Like I said, I am closer to being a liberal than most liberals on this board, mostly because most liberals on this board are actually progressives.

Most 'conservatives' on this board are bigots, if we accept their word that they are conservative. One can argue the definition of liberal, conservative and progressive all day, but the OP asked about being "Christian" and that too requires definiton. Their are "Sunday" Christians and Christians who practice the values JC is purported to have preached everyday. Not the values preached by too many of the clergy today.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back