Lets talk EVs

Another fact about my son's Tesla.

Like I said, he has a charger in his garage that he uses at nigh time. It doesn't cost much between 10:00 PM - 5:00 AM but it the rates really goes up significantly if he charges outside of that window.

He lives in Alpharetta (North Atlanta) that has all kinds of shopping and services within a few miles from his home. He works at a location about a half hour commute away if not stop and go traffic. More like 45 minutes during rush hour.

He starts the week off with a full charge on his vehicle. He usually doesn't have to go into work all five days. Sometimes it is three but most of the time four days. Also, during the week like all of us he usually has to do several trips like shopping or taking his kids somewhere. Sometimes he has to take his car somewhere in Atlanta for work like to a meeting.

He plugs the car in every night.

He tells me that they very seldom use the Tesla on the weekend because by the end of the week, even with night time charging, the battery is pretty low. They needs the weekend to charge up the car for the next week.

If they need the car over the weekend they usually have to go to a fast charging station somewhere, which is almost as expensive as buying gas.

Another fact about my son's Tesla.

Like I said, he has a charger in his garage that he uses at nigh time. It doesn't cost much between 10:00 PM - 5:00 AM but it the rates really goes up significantly if he charges outside of that window.

He lives in Alpharetta (North Atlanta) that has all kinds of shopping and services within a few miles from his home. He works at a location about a half hour commute away if not stop and go traffic. More like 45 minutes during rush hour.

He starts the week off with a full charge on his vehicle. He usually doesn't have to go into work all five days. Sometimes it is three but most of the time four days. Also, during the week like all of us he usually has to do several trips like shopping or taking his kids somewhere. Sometimes he has to take his car somewhere in Atlanta for work like to a meeting.

He plugs the car in every night.

He tells me that they very seldom use the Tesla on the weekend because by the end of the week, even with night time charging, the battery is pretty low. They needs the weekend to charge up the car for the next week.

If they need the car over the weekend they usually have to go to a fast charging station somewhere, which isalmost as expensive as buying gas.

To fully charge a Tesla battery at home takes 6-9 hours. The 10pm to 5am times will either fully charge or nearly fully charge the car.

How Long Does it Take to Charge a Tesla? | EnergySage.

To fully charge a Tesla battery at home takes 6-9 hours. The 10pm to 5am times will either fully charge or nearly fully charge the car.

How Long Does it Take to Charge a Tesla? | EnergySage.
I am talking reality. The charging station that was put in his garage by a license electrician (that specializes in them) and that meets the requirements for the reduced over night charging rates does not fully charge the batteries over night. There is a loss each day.

He starts the week off with a full charge, charges over night and by the weekend he is down to about 25-30%. Sometimes more, sometimes less depending upon the running around he does each day in addition to his daily commute. He also said the battery performed noticeably less efficient during the cold months.

I am talking reality. The charging station that was put in his garage by a license electrician (that specializes in them) and that meets the requirements for the reduced over night charging rates does not fully charge the batteries over night. There is a loss each day.

He starts the week off with a full charge, charges over night and by the weekend he is down to about 25-30%. Sometimes more, sometimes less depending upon the running around he does each day in addition to his daily commute. He also said the battery performed noticeably less efficient during the cold months.

So he charges Friday night and is fully charged Saturday morning.

I'm not aware of them. Could you give me some insight on this?
that is what the idiots of the climate cult are trying to tell us. All energy has to be created or transferred . Battery energy does not just magically appear, it has to be generated and transferred to the battery. It isn't free.

So he charges Friday night and is fully charged Saturday morning.
Sometimes on the weekends he will go to a fast charging station. Sometimes he will charge it over two nights and sometimes he will pay the additional money and charge it during the day. It depends on how much running around over the weekend he does. He likes to have a full charge Monday morning.

The real bottom line is that it is a pain in the ass to keep it charged. It is more than just plugging it in every night. Fortunately, living in the Atlanta metro area, there are plenty of places to get the batteries charged if he is running low.

He bought the Tesla because he thought it would be cool and OK for his commute. He found out that it didn't quite live up to expectations. Definetly not worth the money he paid for it. He said he is not going to drive it on long trips anymore. Not worth the hassle of getting it charge and the price on the road is not much more different than buying gas..

that is what the idiots of the climate cult are trying to tell us. All energy has to be created or transferred . Battery energy does not just magically appear, it has to be generated and transferred to the battery. It isn't free.

Solar is pretty much. We aren't there but there are great strides still to make.

Solar is pretty much. We aren't there but there are great strides still to make.
we could cover the entire country with solar panels and they would not generate enough power to run our economy. By they way, you know they don't work at night, right?

Sometimes on the weekends he will go to a fast charging station. Sometimes he will charge it over two nights and sometimes he will pay the additional money and charge it during the day. It depends on how much running around over the weekend he does. He likes to have a full charge Monday morning.

Plug it in Sunday night and unless it was completely dead it's going to be charged Monday morning.

The real bottom line is that it is a pain in the ass to keep it charged. It is more than just plugging it in every night. Fortunately, living in the Atlanta metro area, there are plenty of places to get the batteries charged if he is running low.

Yeah, it's really rough to plug the charger into the car. LOL

He bought the Tesla because he thought it would be cool and OK for his commute. He found out that it didn't quite live up to expectations. Definetly not worth the money he paid for it. He said he is not going to drive it on long trips anymore. Not worth the hassle of getting it charge and the price on the road is not much more different than buying gas..

If the price of charging on the road is the same as gas, then it's all the same. You are really stretching to create an issue that doesn't even exist. I posted the facts that the car will be charged in the morning after driving it during the day.

we could cover the entire country with solar panels and they would not generate enough power to run our economy. By they way, you know they don't work at night, right?

I never made any suggestions that we would generate enough power now to run our economy. How about addressing what I actually say?

Solar is terrible technology. If it wasn't for the goddamn government subsidies and the filthy ass government artifically running up the cost of fossil and nuclear then nobody would ever buy it.

Buying a huge truck that gets 13 mpg makes no economic or environmental sense to drive around town

If you need (or want) that much truck then it makes sense to you.

No one has a problem with people wanting to buy non-subsidized EVs.

But, we daily listen to our politicians make various claims that they will use legislation to replace gas cars with EVs if the market fails to do so.

The only way to prevent such a disastrous economic and environmental decision is to continue to point out, loudly, the insanity of proposals forcing people and businesses to adopt EVs.

Solar is terrible technology. If it wasn't for the goddamn government subsidies and the filthy ass government artifically running up the cost of fossil and nuclear then nobody would ever buy it.
The government pays individuals $7,500 to go solar

If not for that no one would buy solar panels

Why? As I noted earlier I can charge my electric bike with it. Is that a replacement for cars? No, of course not. It gets me around town for free. (after initial investment). Like with everything the technology will improve.

Plug it in Sunday night and unless it was completely dead it's going to be charged Monday morning.

Yeah, it's really rough to plug the charger into the car. LOL

If the price of charging on the road is the same as gas, then it's all the same. You are really stretching to create an issue that doesn't even exist. I posted the facts that the car will be charged in the morning after driving it during the day.
....and I told you what my son said his real experience is. Overnight charging does not keep the battery charged up enough for his 30-45 minute one way (hour to hour and a half round trip) commute each day plus the normal family running around.

Go buy one yourself and see what it is really like. Published data and real life are two different things. Published data says he should get 280 miles on a full battery charge but the reality my son saw was significantly less than that and is getting worse the longer he owns the vehicle.

L-I is shitty technology for a full size vehicle.

If you need (or want) that much truck then it makes sense to you.

Of course.

No one has a problem with people wanting to buy non-subsidized EVs.

GM has been subsidized in many ways. If we want to end it all, I have always been for that.

All the same, yes many have a problem with it simply because of their politics.

But, we daily listen to our politicians make various claims that they will use legislation to replace gas cars with EVs if the market fails to do so.

I've addressed that more than once. I can't imagine why people allow politicians to lead them by the nose in this way.

The only way to prevent such a disastrous economic and environmental decision is to continue to point out, loudly, the insanity of proposals forcing people and businesses to adopt EVs.

Something that is impossible to do is never going to be done. If a politician said we need to move all humans to Mars by 2032, would you bother to care about what they said?

....and I told you what my son said his real experience is.

And I showed where what you say on a message board isn't worth much.

Overnight charging does not keep the battery charged up enough for his 30-45 minute one way (hour to hour and a half round trip) commute each day plus the normal family running around.

It will charge his car every night fully or nearly full only using the cheap rate that you posted. I posted the relevant info.

Go buy one yourself and see what it is really like. Published data and real life are two different things. Published data says he should get 280 miles on a full battery charge but the reality my son saw was significantly less than that and is getting worse the longer he owns the vehicle.

L-I is shitty technology for a full size vehicle.

And yet the market grows every year.

f a politician said we need to move all humans to Mars by 2032, would you bother to care

If there were any conceivable way to get more than a few humans to Mars, and provide for their continued existence, I might.

But, politicians can, and most probably will try, to force the adaptation of EVs without concern for consequences.

If there were any conceivable way to get more than a few humans to Mars, and provide for their continued existence, I might.

But, politicians can, and most probably will try, to force the adaptation of EVs without concern for consequences.

There is no conceivable way to go all EV anywhere in the near future.

People are not going to simply start walking again.

Why? As I noted earlier I can charge my electric bike with it. Is that a replacement for cars? No, of course not. It gets me around town for free. (after initial investment). Like with everything the technology will improve.

LOL! another old idiot on an Electric Bike. What a crock of BS. When a car hits your dumb arse from behind you will break collarbones and both wrists. Then become a bigger drain on society. Get off us you clown. You can't do crap on an Electric bike. Can't carry nothing. No passengers would want to ride with your old self. Not in cold or rain. I guess you just go down to Starbucks and sit there with your phone like "look at me on my EV, I'm so cool".

And this comes from a past decades long road and mountain biker. Carbon fiber Kestrel.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back