Let's Take Abortion Away From The Extremists

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
On one end of the spectrum, you have those who believe life begins at conception and all abortions should be banned, including in cases of rape or incest.

On the other end of the spectrum, you have those who believe a woman should be allowed to abort up to the moment a baby draws its first breath.

Unfortunately, these are the people who are polarizing the abortion issue to the point that we all end up talking past one another.

I am pro-life, but I do not consider myself an extremist, but the moment I encounter a pro-choice extremist, I feel myself getting angry enough that I start being pushed to the opposite extreme.

I have no doubt there is common ground upon which non-extremists of both camps can meet. And we need to start taking back the conversation.

As many of you know, I believe the central problem of abortion is the lack of use of birth control, or the inconsistent or improper use of birth control. Half of all abortions are the result of no birth control being used. Another fifth are the result of inconsistent or improper use of birth control. These are the statistics from the pro-choice Guttmacher Institute.

Therefore, if we raise awareness and education about birth control, we could greatly reduce the number of abortions, so this should be common ground upon which both sides can agree.

Let's work together for once.

So I will start this topic with some birth control related questions. I got these from the link I will provide below.

See how you do before you reveal the answers. Then see how your kids do!

Q1: Of heterosexual couples who have sex once a week, and do not use any form of birth control or contraceptives, and they are under 30, what percent of them will be pregnant within a year?

95 percent.

Q2: When is the best time to start a pack of birth control pills?

As soon as you get your prescription, you can start whenever you want.

Q3: What is considered the oldest method of contraception?

The withdrawal method was recorded in the Bible's book Genesis.

Q4: How long can sperm live in the reproductive tract?

Up to 5 days.

Q5: When used correctly, how effective is the birth control pill at preventing pregnancy?

More than 99 percent effective.

How'd you do on the quiz?

Source for these questions and answers: https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...control-questions-when-used-correctly-videos/

Last edited:
On one end of the spectrum, you have those who believe life begins at conception and all abortions should be banned, including in cases of rape or incest.

On the other end of the spectrum, you have those who believe a woman should be allowed to abort up to the moment a baby draws its first breath.

Unfortunately, these are the people; who are polarizing the abortion issue to the point that we all end up talking past one another.

I am pro-life, but I do not consider myself an extremist, but the moment I encounter a pro-choice extremist, I feel myself getting angry enough that I start being pushed to the opposite extreme.

I have no doubt there is common ground upon which non-extremists of both camps can meet. And we need to start taking back the conversation.

As many of you know, I believe the central problem of abortion is the lack of use of birth control, or the inconsistent or improper use of birth control. Half of all abortions are the result of no birth control being used. Another fifth are the result of inconsistent or improper use of birth control.

Therefore, if we raise awareness and education about birth control, we could greatly reduce the number of abortions, so this should be common ground upon which both sides can agree.

Let's work together for once.

So I will start this topic with some birth control related questions. I got these from the link I will provide below.

See how you do before you reveal the answers. Then see how your kids do!

Q1: Of heterosexual couples who have sex once a week, and do not use any form of birth control or contraceptives, and they are under 30, what percent of them will be pregnant within a year?

95 percent.

Q2: When is the best time to start a pack of birth control pills?

As soon as you get your prescription, you can start whenever you want.

Q3: What is considered the oldest method of contraception?

The withdrawal method was recorded in the Bible's book Genesis.

Q4: How long can sperm live in the reproductive tract?

Up to 5 days.

Q5: When used correctly, how effective is the birth control pill at preventing pregnancy?

More than 99 percent effective.

How'd you do on the quiz?

Source for these questions and answers: https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...control-questions-when-used-correctly-videos/

Dang, the Dems will be taking you off their Christmas card list.

Extremists on both sides tug back and forth over the victims of rape and incest. The hapless victims of these heinous crimes are used as human shields to avoid focusing on the greater than 98 percent of abortions which have nothing to do with rape or incest.

This does not have to be a winner-take-all war. There is absolutely no way we will ever get the number of abortions down to zero. We pro-lifers need to accept that. But if we can greatly reduce abortions, then abortion becomes a less socially acceptable option for the few who still get pregnant despite using birth control.

It's a fact that almost all unwanted pregnancies, outside of rape and incest, are preventable.

So let's focus on how we can reduce them by the greatest amount.

It is my conviction that birth control is the answer. We need to focus the abortion conversation onto birth control.

A very tiny majority of people are opposed to birth control, mostly for religious reasons. But a person having sex without birth control is not closer to God than one who is having sex with birth control, right?

It would be a wonderful world if people practiced abstinence outside of marriage, but that is wildly unrealistic.

So let's look at these two outcomes, and see which one is less offensive to God:

1) Having sex without birth control which then results in an unwanted pregnancy which then results in an abortion.

2) Having sex with birth control and not getting pregnant.

The fact of the matter is the large majority of folks in the US are OK with abortion as long as there are limits imposed on the practice like the Mississippi Compromise.

Indeed if someone on either end of the issue falls outside of that they are viewed as extreme.

Thing is it's the loud-mouths on the unfettered pro-choice side that get the press....That's good as it hurts the dems more than helps them. ;)

I did terrible on the test...I couldn't remember stuff....sigh, I'm showing my age! :(

I did know 95% would get pregnant and the Bible mentioned a no no on the withdrawal method, way back when.... Let no seed hit the ground, or something of the sort....

In my own personal opinion I think up to 16 to 20 weeks is enough time for any woman or girl to get an abortion at will, and only okayed with medical complications for the mother or the child, after that point...rape and incest victims have plenty of time to make their decisions before either of those cut off points, again imo....

I am willing to bet that there are a hell of a lot more people who want to ban abortion in all cases, then there are those who advocate very late term abortion. In fact I know of no one who would approve of abortion until
"the moment a baby draws its first breath". The vast majority if those who support Roe, including myself, are very comfortable with the standard established by Roe- where abortion is permitted until viability

I am willing to bet that there are a hell of a lot more people who want to ban abortion in all cases, then there are those who advocate very late term abortion. In fact I know of no one who would approve of abortion until
"the moment a baby draws its first breath". The vast majority if those who support Roe, including myself, are very comfortable with the standard established by Roe- where abortion is permitted until viability
Yet Demoncrats refused to ever compromise, they refused to agree to anything less than abortion on demand up to nine months. They could had easily passed a law that made it legal in the first trimester, but they are such sick inhuman ghouls they needed to fight for 9th month abortions.
That is YOUR side, and how extreme they are.

I did terrible on the test...I couldn't remember stuff....sigh, I'm showing my age! :(

I did know 95% would get pregnant and the Bible mentioned a no no on the withdrawal method, way back when.... Let no seed hit the ground, or something of the sort....

In my own personal opinion I think up to 16 to 20 weeks is enough time for any woman or girl to get an abortion at will, and only okayed with medical complications for the mother or the child, after that point...rape and incest victims have plenty of time to make their decisions before either of those cut off points, again imo....

That's what Youngkin in Virginia is seeking, watch him be called a Christian Extremist.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2022/06/24/virginia-youngkin-abortion-15-week-ruling/

Forum List

Back