Lethal injection execution drugs

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
With recent 'failures' of lethal injection drugs I began wondering what method(s) were used in animal euthansia. Reading around, the general consensus seems to be ketamine (sedative, also drug of course in human surgeries,) and then,

"Staying with your animal companion while he or she is gently “put to sleep” with an injection of sodium pentobarbital into a vein in the leg can be a great comfort to the animal."
Euthanasia: The Compassionate Option | Companion Animal Factsheets | Companion Animals | The Issues | PETA

If even PETA suggests this method for animals, then why don't we use for executing humans instead of these 'hard to find suppliers for' exotic cocktails?

I'd actually be fine with conscious skinning alive by dull carrot peeler, but I'm not usually consulted. But so long as the 'comfort' of the one being executed (boggle) is of concern why not just use the same thing we use on our beloved pets?

The reason for the problems with drug cocktails and dosage is that no medical doctors will participate in testing or even suggesting drugs, due to various medical ethics issues.

The reason for the problems with drug cocktails and dosage is that no medical doctors will participate in testing or even suggesting drugs, due to various medical ethics issues.

True but you'd think what works on a 150lb animal would work on 150lb human eliminating some of that need.

Another alternate solution both cheap and emminently practical is use seized narcotics like heroin. So many od on heroin every day seems a simple enough method. And it uses up the seized drugs in the process. Just chucking em into furnaces otherwise. Saves money buying cocktail solutions hard to come by, uses up seized drug stores, and kills the prisoner in a relatively positive fashion.

They already use various opiate derivatives (effectively heroin) as part of the Ohio Protocol.

The problem then becomes - what if the person is a long-time heroin user who's built up a significant tolerance?

If I was going to kill myself, opiate overdose would be the way I chose to go - but there are a lot of factors that can come into play.

No shortage of it I'd assume. Probably tons of medical research about lethal dosages too. Get the person's body weight, past usage if any, come up with some number then triple it. :)

They already use various opiate derivatives (effectively heroin) as part of the Ohio Protocol.

The problem then becomes - what if the person is a long-time heroin user who's built up a significant tolerance?

If I was going to kill myself, opiate overdose would be the way I chose to go - but there are a lot of factors that can come into play.

Whack him with 50,000mg of morphine. Even for a hard-core junkie, that's 15x a lethal dose. (For most people, that's 200+x a lethal dose.)

Whack him with 50,000mg of morphine. Even for a hard-core junkie, that's 15x a lethal dose. (For most people, that's 200+x a lethal dose.)

Morphine's a legit drug though so wouldn't be free. Heroin's free from police evidence vaults. :)

Not exactly...if only because there is no guarantee that a half-kilo of "heroin" is even 10% actual HEROIN.

Not a problem when comapnies exist to test users' supply for purity. A junky can send a sample in, get it tested to verify what it is, how pure, etc. If 'civilians' can do that anonymously, figuring out if the 'black tar' heroin really is shouldn't be an issue.

Actually there is no legal requirement for animal shelters to disclose either the number or the method of doing away with animals so there are no reliable statistics. Drugs are expensive and hard to regulate so many animal "shelters" prefer to use decompression chambers. State governments aren't burdened by narcotic laws so executed prisoners are treated with the utmost care and executed far more gently than their victims were.

Why not just put a bullet between the eyes of the person being executed? It would be much cheaper. With that said though, I'm all for public hanging.

With recent 'failures' of lethal injection drugs I began wondering what method(s) were used in animal euthansia. Reading around, the general consensus seems to be ketamine (sedative, also drug of course in human surgeries,) and then,

"Staying with your animal companion while he or she is gently “put to sleep” with an injection of sodium pentobarbital into a vein in the leg can be a great comfort to the animal."
Euthanasia: The Compassionate Option | Companion Animal Factsheets | Companion Animals | The Issues | PETA

If even PETA suggests this method for animals, then why don't we use for executing humans instead of these 'hard to find suppliers for' exotic cocktails?

I'd actually be fine with conscious skinning alive by dull carrot peeler, but I'm not usually consulted. But so long as the 'comfort' of the one being executed (boggle) is of concern why not just use the same thing we use on our beloved pets?

Why not just become civilised and abolish the death chambers altogether.

dp101.jpg

It's amazing to me that you think that makes some sort of point.

I thought you guys were the ones who were supposed to mistrust the government and believe in personal responsibility and freedom?

In all honesty, if the guy is a murderer, either shot him in the head if you feel guilty about cruel and unusual treatment, or give him to the family of the person he killed for an hour! The scumbag deserves NO EASY WAY OUT! Actually should film the bastard being beaten to death, and send that around to all high schools to play for the students...after all, they've seen worse in recent movies, just preface it that this is for real! Something like the old SCARED STRAIGHT programs!

I thought you guys were the ones who were supposed to mistrust the government and believe in personal responsibility and freedom?

In all honesty, if the guy is a murderer, either shot him in the head if you feel guilty about cruel and unusual treatment, or give him to the family of the person he killed for an hour! The scumbag deserves NO EASY WAY OUT! Actually should film the bastard being beaten to death, and send that around to all high schools to play for the students...after all, they've seen worse in recent movies, just preface it that this is for real! Something like the old SCARED STRAIGHT programs!

I don't "feel guilty" about capital punishment.

I don't trust the government enough to willingly give them the legal right to kill me. It's that simple.

I don't "feel guilty" about capital punishment.

I don't trust the government enough to willingly give them the legal right to kill me. It's that simple.

For the most part I agree with you. There are cases where I feel it is warranted though. Dahmer is an example, and the Green River killer. There is NO DOUBT they are the killers. I would give them the trial they are due. I would pass sentence on them. They would then get a single appeal and that hearing would occur within one week, and pending the outcome of the appeal the sentence would be carried out the week after that.

Allowing capital cases to drag on for decades is simply retarded.

Forum List

Back