Let us compare the 2000, 2016 and 2020 election reactions

Make no mistake Republicans would have stolen 2020 if it were closer. Just like they did in 2000.

Trump strongly implied that he would fill Ginsburg’s seat with someone who would help him steal the election. The election, Trump claimed, “will end up in the Supreme Court, and I think it’s very important that we have nine Justices.”

The Court did hand down several pre-election decisions that likely diminished Biden’s vote count around the margins by making it harder for voters to cast a ballot by mail (mail-in voters were especially likely to support Biden over Trump). And before the election, much of the Court’s right flank endorsed radical doctrinal changes that would have made it easier for Trump to steal a closer election. But the justices have largely stayed away from post-election lawsuits.

There are no good legal arguments that could have justified tossing out the election results, and the clownishness of Trump’s legal strategy only drew attention to the weakness of his claims.

To be sure, judges are not immune to motivated reasoning, and it’s easy to find cases where highly partisan judges reached dubious conclusions that benefited their political party. But Trump’s lawyers gave the president’s would-be allies on the judiciary very little to work with if they hoped to craft a pro-Trump opinion that didn’t sound ridiculous. There are judges who place a thumb on the scales of justice, but even the most partisan judge can’t make a mouse weigh more than an elephant.

partisan judges would have had to overturn the results in three states to steal the election for Trump.

In many of the pivotal states, Biden’s margins were harrowingly close — such as the tipping-point state of Wisconsin, which Biden won by only about 20,000 votes. But that’s many times more than the 537 votes that separated Republican George W. Bush and Democrat Al Gore when the Supreme Court threw the election to Bush in 2000.

Finally, members of the Supreme Court who might have been inclined to swing the election to Trump if it had been closer did not lay the groundwork for such a move. A couple of pre-election rulings certainly sparked concern from many legal observers: Shortly before the election, several justices endorsed a theory that could have forced a handful of key states to toss out certain late-arriving ballots — even though those ballots were lawfully cast under existing election rules. But in the states that decided the election, Biden won by comfortable enough margins that his victory was assured even without these late-arriving ballots.

Roberts’s cold feet and Barrett’s late arrival matter because the law is an iterative process. A conservative majority typically moves the law to the right in incremental steps — handing down one decision that may limit voting rights around the margins, and then citing that decision in a future case to limit voting rights even more. Over time, a determined majority can bring about revolutionary change, but that process typically takes years. The Court’s current majority simply hasn’t had enough time to lay the groundwork (if it were so inclined) for the kind of radical decisions that could have handed Trump a second term

American democracy is still in peril​

The fact that Biden will be taking up residence at the White House next month is not a reason to heave a sigh of relief and assume that American democracy is safe. A total of 126 Republican members of Congress — a majority of the House GOP caucus — backed a frivolous lawsuit seeking to overturn Biden’s victory and hand the election to Trump. The idea that presidential elections only count if a Republican wins is now shockingly normalized within the GOP.

Many Republicans who share this disdain for democracy, moreover, are state lawmakers. Some of them are likely to push legislation that will make it harder to vote in their states — some Georgia Republicans are already calling for legislation banning ballot drop boxes and limiting who is allowed to vote by mail — and to enact rigid gerrymanders seeking to lock the GOP into power. And the courts are likely to bless such efforts.

By not overturning an election that Biden won by more than 7 million votes, the courts did the least they could possibly do to respect democracy. The fact is that Trump asked the courts to do too much, too fast, in an election that he lost by too many votes. The courts held steady, but the fact that the judiciary decided not to join a lawless attack on the 2020 election is no reason for celebration. Biden may have won the presidency, but the future of democracy in the United States still looks grim.

I don't care about 2000 I care about 2022 and 2024.

:auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg:

Jan 6, 2001,

VP Al Gore presided over the joint session of Congress to formally certify George W. Bush as the 43 President. He gabled down those members of his own party protesting the EC victory of GW. He never went on a campaign calling GW's victory some kind of fraud. Never urged his followers to distrust our elections. Nope after all the court challenge were heard he conceded and began urging his followers to accept the defeat and move on as a unified country.
I watched it...his arteries were busting out of his head.

I threatened law enforcement by saying "neither am I" in an anonymous internet post? Stop being such a pussy.
We're not talking about you specifically.

I'm not the one in need of 2nd amendment remedies in order to get my way.

He was talking about Trump supporters. Are you a supporter? Maybe you're just a pussy supporter. You won't take up arms or storm the capitol unarmed. LOL

We're not talking about you specifically.
You quoted me specifically in your response.
I'm not the one in need of 2nd amendment remedies in order to get my way.
Neither am I.
He was talking about Trump supporters. Are you a supporter? Maybe you're just a pussy supporter. You won't take up arms or storm the capitol unarmed. LOL
You're an imbecile. Of course, your choice of screen names made that obvious before you ever even posted.

sealybobo Sealy has no proof for his BS claim, but he believes others need to show proof of their claims.
The Supreme Court that leaned right in 2000 gave Bush the presidency. If it were closer, they would have done the same for Trump. So Republicans don't even have to win elections. It just has to be close. And the new Supreme Court will make voting harder. Take voting rights away. Side with Republicans whenever it's close.

The Supreme Court that leaned right in 2000 gave Bush the presidency. If it were closer, they would have done the same for Trump. So Republicans don't even have to win elections. It just has to be close. And the new Supreme Court will make voting harder. Take voting rights away. Side with Republicans whenever it's close.

I want proof and you have none. Your right leaning court is bogus because two liberal judges voted on one issue that effectively ended the electio, let me know when you have real proof instead of this BS.

I want proof and you have none. Your right leaning court is bogus because two liberal judges voted on one issue that effectively ended the electio, let me know when you have real proof instead of this BS.
Yes, to defend democracy or the integrity or the appearance of integrity, they voted to end it. Nothing they could do about it and they didn't want it to appear that the liberals on the HIGH court think the election was rigged. Even Al Gore rolled his eyes when he conceded.

If it was that close, Trump would have won re election. Luckily it wasn't close enough.

You can't handle the PROOF. LOL.

Of the five winners who lost the popular vote, three (Adams, Harrison, and Trump) ran for reelection four years later and lost the popular vote again and lost the election as well, one (Bush) ran and won the election as well as the popular vote, and one (Hayes) did not run for reelection.

You can't handle the PROOF. LOL.

Of the five winners who lost the popular vote, three (Adams, Harrison, and Trump) ran for reelection four years later and lost the popular vote again and lost the election as well, one (Bush) ran and won the election as well as the popular vote, and one (Hayes) did not run for reelection.
Proof is what counts and so far you have none, just speculation. You are no different than the 2020 election group. Nothing was stolen and all you have is your imagination like most partisans do.

Yes, to defend democracy or the integrity or the appearance of integrity, they voted to end it. Nothing they could do about it and they didn't want it to appear that the liberals on the HIGH court think the election was rigged. Even Al Gore rolled his eyes when he conceded.

If it was that close, Trump would have won re election. Luckily it wasn't close enough.
BS because you nuts still bring it up over and over. Nothing stolen, nothing taken and your obsession with Trump is disturbing, you might want to get some help from a mental professional.

BTW, Vox is a left winged site that spins their stories, they are like Breitbart and I never read from those sites.

I didn't realize you were this far gone. Do you believe 2020 was stolen from Trump?
Gone to far because I don’t believe in rigged elections like you do? 2000, 2020 were legit. You believe either was rigged, you are an idiot and you still have no proof.

Gone to far because I don’t believe in rigged elections like you do? 2000, 2020 were legit. You believe either was rigged, you are an idiot and you still have no proof.
Sure. Nothing shady about Diebold voting machines in 2000.

In 2004, after an initial investigation into the company's practices, Secretary of State of California Kevin Shelley issued a ban on one model of Diebold voting machines in that state.

The suit charged that Diebold had given false information about the security and reliability of Diebold Election Systems machines that were sold to the state. To settle the case, Diebold agreed to pay $2.6 million and to implement certain reforms.

Sure Papageorgio, you stupid mother fucker.

In September 2003, a large number of internal Diebold memos, dating back to 1999, were posted to the BlackBoxVoting.org web site

Diebold attempted to stop the publication of these internal memos by sending cease-and-desist letters to each site hosting these documents, demanding that they be removed.

When it turned out that some of the challenged groups would not back down, Diebold retracted their threat. Those who had been threatened by Diebold then sued for court costs and damages, in OPG v. Diebold. This suit eventually led to a victory for the plaintiffs against Diebold, when in October 2004 Judge Jeremy Fogel ruled that Diebold abused its copyrights in its efforts to suppress the embarrassing memos.

Ohio State Senator Jeff Jacobson, Republican, asked Ohio Secretary of State Ken Blackwell, also a Republican, in July 2003 to disqualify Diebold's bid to supply voting machines for the state, after security problems were discovered in its software, but was refused.[54] Blackwell had ordered Diebold touch screen voting machines, reversing an earlier decision by the state to purchase only optical scan voting machines which, unlike the touch screen devices, would leave a "paper trail" for recount purposes. Blackwell was found, in April 2006, to own 83 shares of Diebold stock

The Republican head of the Franklin County, Ohio Board of Elections, Matt Damschroder, said a Diebold contractor came to him and bragged of a $50,000 check he had written to Blackwell's "political interests."

Not just 2000 stupid. 2004 too.

Diebold Memos Disclose Florida 2000 E-Voting Fraud​

I could go on and on about Diebold and all the other little ways Republicans stole 2000, and 2004.

And Trump most certainly tried to steal 2020. He just didn't get away with it because it wasn't close enough like it was in 2000 when the Supreme Court gave Bush the White House. Not the voters.

Stupid fuck.

The more you look, the more it's obvious 2004 Ohio was stolen too.

Forum List

Back