Less than half of Americans support student loan forgiveness: poll

If it passes thru Congress I do not object to it in principle if the votes are there. However, I do not agree with President Biden doing this by fiat.

jmo
congress cant vote on it if that is not a duly authorized power in the constitution,,,

They absolutely could call for a vote on this if it’s introduced as a bill in Congress.
not lawfully if the power doesnt exist in the constitution,,,

I understand that, but it is for the SC to decide.
no its not,, its for those that take an oath to follow,,,

the 9th and 10th amendments makes that clear,,

There is no legal barrier preventing Congress from voting on this bill.

ONLY SCOTUS can rule it unconstitutional.

Period.
the 9th and 10th amendments are the legal barrier unless of course you can show me where in the constitution this authority exists???

I just did. Congress can vote on this issue. What can stop them from voting on this issue.

Answer: nothing.
you left out lawfully,,

the 9th and 10th amendments are pretty clear what they can and cant vote on,,,

Correct. That is why the SC would end up ruling on this issue.
they first have to prove they have authority before voting on it,, and scotus only comes into play if its contested and allowed to be heard,,, and it doesnt help when we have a corrupted scotus like we currently do,,

what youre proposing is what dictators and tyrants do,,,

Not attempting to propose anything. I’m just explaining how the process would go about.
while leaving out the word lawfully and ignoring the 9th and 10th amendment,,,,

Please point out the clause in the Constitution that PREVENTS Congress from bringing this bill up in committee which then sends it out to the full house for a vote.
I just did several times,,,

No you didn’t. The correct answer is NOTHING PREVENTS Congress from bringing this bill up in a committee to send to a full house for a vote. If it passes becomes law. Period

Only the SC can rule this passed law unconstitutional.

If it passes thru Congress I do not object to it in principle if the votes are there. However, I do not agree with President Biden doing this by fiat.

jmo
congress cant vote on it if that is not a duly authorized power in the constitution,,,

They absolutely could call for a vote on this if it’s introduced as a bill in Congress.

Period.
the 9th and 10th amendments are the legal barrier unless of course you can show me where in the constitution this authority exists???

I just did. Congress can vote on this issue. What can stop them from voting on this issue.

you left out lawfully,,

they first have to prove they have authority before voting on it,, and scotus only comes into play if its contested and allowed to be heard,,, and it doesnt help when we have a corrupted scotus like we currently do,,

Not attempting to propose anything. I’m just explaining how the process would go about.

Please point out the clause in the Constitution that PREVENTS Congress from bringing this bill up in committee which then sends it out to the full house for a vote.

No you didn’t. The correct answer is NOTHING PREVENTS Congress from bringing this bill up in a committee to send to a full house for a vote. If it passes becomes law. Period

being educated would help you,, the 9th and 10th A are clear and the burden falls on you to prove where that authority exists in the constitution,,,

jmo

Period.

you left out lawfully,,

being educated would help you,, the 9th and 10th A are clear and the burden falls on you to prove where that authority exists in the constitution,,,

Dismissed

You are wrong and have nothing left but insults.

white flag accepted

If the students were dumb enough to go into a huge debt there is no one else that is responsible but them.
Maybe they should have paid more attention in accounting class in high school.

jmo

Period.

you left out lawfully,,

Dismissed

You are wrong and have nothing left but insults.

white flag accepted
where did I insult you??
if you were educated on the constitution you would know the 9th and 10th amendments are very clear that if there is not a specific authorization delegated to the feds in the constitution the fed gov has no authority to be involved or make decisions on it,,

thats just a fact,,

Tenth Amendment
Tenth Amendment Annotated

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

54% oppose, 46% support. These numbers are too close, but at least we have 54% of respondents that are responsible adults who realize that you are obligated to repay monies you freely borrow. If we do anything, it should be protection from exorbitant interest rates or force colleges to refund their customers for a misrepresented product.

I question any poll in which 100% of people say they have made up their mind. Also the article references a previous poll.

"Although Americans rank borrowers as having the primary responsibility for fixing the student loan debt crisis, they also support the government passing a range of potential reforms.

Frequently recommended solutions, such as forgiveness of a flat amount of student debt (64%) and forgiveness of all student loan debt (55%), are supported by more than half the country. Additionally, nearly two-thirds of Americans (63%) support forgiveness of all student loan debt for those working in certain industries like health care, science & technology, or public service.

Moreover, Americans show very strong support for other potential solutions including lower interest rates on students that attend public universities (83%), automatic student loan forbearance if someone loses employment (72%), and updating bankruptcy laws to get rid of student debt (66%)."

Americans Overwhelmingly Support Student Debt Reform | The Harris Poll

That poll asked about student loan forgiveness in terms of a reform plan. The one you cite asked about only student loan forgiveness.

I do support forgiving a flat amount of debt and automatically placing people in income based repayment plans.

Ever hear of Pell Grants. they need to be more, keeping up with inflation.
Federal Pell Grants | Federal Student Aid

There should be no public grants and there should be no public financial aid. That is precisely what created our current situation.

You are wrong on that. States, especially red states, have seriously underfunded state colleges. As a result, tution has risen much faster than inflation. Politicians are partially responsible.

Since forgiving debt is the trendy thing of the moment can those of us who have paid off mortgages and car loans get reimbursed? It hardly seems right for those that were fiscally responsible to miss out on this.

54% oppose, 46% support. These numbers are too close, but at least we have 54% of respondents that are responsible adults who realize that you are obligated to repay monies you freely borrow. If we do anything, it should be protection from exorbitant interest rates or force colleges to refund their customers for a misrepresented product.

I question any poll in which 100% of people say they have made up their mind. Also the article references a previous poll.

"Although Americans rank borrowers as having the primary responsibility for fixing the student loan debt crisis, they also support the government passing a range of potential reforms.

Frequently recommended solutions, such as forgiveness of a flat amount of student debt (64%) and forgiveness of all student loan debt (55%), are supported by more than half the country. Additionally, nearly two-thirds of Americans (63%) support forgiveness of all student loan debt for those working in certain industries like health care, science & technology, or public service.

Moreover, Americans show very strong support for other potential solutions including lower interest rates on students that attend public universities (83%), automatic student loan forbearance if someone loses employment (72%), and updating bankruptcy laws to get rid of student debt (66%)."

Americans Overwhelmingly Support Student Debt Reform | The Harris Poll

That poll asked about student loan forgiveness in terms of a reform plan. The one you cite asked about only student loan forgiveness.

I do support forgiving a flat amount of debt and automatically placing people in income based repayment plans.
One question for you: If you borrow money and spend it, who's responsible for paying it back?

I thought Democrats were for the working class? Tell the working class who are entrepreneurial why and how they should fund some young entitled person that buried themselves in debt to the tune of 6 digits to engage in a study at a private college three time zones away in a field that has no demand??

There should be no public grants and there should be no public financial aid. That is precisely what created our current situation.

You are wrong on that. States, especially red states, have seriously underfunded state colleges. As a result, tution has risen much faster than inflation. Politicians are partially responsible.
youre confusing state and fed gov,, the states have a lot more leeway on what they can do and the feds are very limited,,,

Forum List

Back