Less than half of Americans support student loan forgiveness: poll

Orangecat

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2020

54% oppose, 46% support. These numbers are too close, but at least we have 54% of respondents that are responsible adults who realize that you are obligated to repay monies you freely borrow. If we do anything, it should be protection from exorbitant interest rates or force colleges to refund their customers for a misrepresented product.

54% oppose, 46% support. These numbers are too close, but at least we have 54% of respondents that are responsible adults who realize that you are obligated to repay monies you freely borrow. If we do anything, it should be protection from exorbitant interest rates or force colleges to refund their customers for a misrepresented product.

Of course, one can always count on those in debt to support debt forgiveness, just like the poor will always vote for increased welfare.

The rest can just pay and shut up.

Ever hear of Pell Grants. they need to be more, keeping up with inflation.
Federal Pell Grants | Federal Student Aid

The Govt should either do nothing, but keep the existing programs, or just forgive it all.....

forigiving 10K doesn't do much....i mean yeah if you owe 10K or less, great....but if you owe more, the interest will just eat you up in the end.

Frankly, I say forgive it all today....and go back and fix the mess the Dems created with Obamacare when they took over the entire student loan business.

Grants of any kind from the public treasury are wrong. The taxpayers are not responsible for providing college educations. Indeed, as long as the US is in debt, ALL grants and foreign aid should be discontinued as well as ANY discretionary spending.

The Govt should either do nothing, but keep the existing programs, or just forgive it all.....

forigiving 10K doesn't do much....i mean yeah if you owe 10K or less, great....but if you owe more, the interest will just eat you up in the end.

Frankly, I say forgive it all today....and go back and fix the mess the Dems created with Obamacare when they took over the entire student loan business.
Says the guy that buried himself in student debt. What did you learn in the highfalutin college besides how to play the system?

If it passes thru Congress I do not object to it in principle if the votes are there. However, I do not agree with President Biden doing this by fiat.

I agree with the OP that the interest rates need to be re-examined.

jmo

Grants of any kind from the public treasury are wrong. The taxpayers are not responsible for providing college educations. Indeed, as long as the US is in debt, ALL grants and foreign aid should be discontinued as well as ANY discretionary spending.
I have a problem with the US Govt taking over the student loan business....a big one

But I have no problem with Pell Grants, and Grants in general from the Feds, or State Govts for all sorts of different things.....Grant typically students have to apply for, and there is some level of competition for the best, who then gets the Grant.

I certainly don't have a issue with Govt encouraging and supporting, and investigating in citizens in that way.

If it passes thru Congress I do not object to it in principle if the votes are there. However, I do not agree with President Biden doing this by fiat.

jmo
congress cant vote on it if that is not a duly authorized power in the constitution,,,

Says the guy that buried himself in student debt. What did you learn in the highfalutin college besides how to play the system?
Actually I have no student loan debt. I paid my own way through undergrad, and did take a borrow some for my advanced degree...before Obamacare's take over, and have sense paid it off.

I am just looking at the realization of what the failed Obamacare take over has done.....loans were given out left and right, colleges and universities took no risk, no lenders took any real risk....the schools had way more people applying then, they were then able to justify increasing their rates.....essentially it was a way for the Dems to fast track getting professors etc money.....and lots of it.

Frankly, I say forgive it all today....
Would responsible people also get an equal payment? Or will we be punishing them to bail out losers who can't pay back the money they freely borrowed and subsequently spent?
If one person gets $50,000 from the government, why shouldn't everyone?

Frankly, I say forgive it all today....
Would responsible people also get an equal payment? Or will we be punishing them to bail out losers who can't pay back the money they freely borrowed and subsequently spent?
If one person gets $50,000 from the government, why shouldn't everyone?
I certainly don't think it's fair.....but I have yet to see Govt, at all levels, always do things that are fair.

I am just trying to offer a solution to the problem caused by the Dem's legislation....moving forward I would highly suggest not voting for the party that created the mess

I have a problem with the US Govt taking over the student loan business....a big one

But I have no problem with Pell Grants, and Grants in general from the Feds, or State Govts for all sorts of different things.....Grant typically students have to apply for, and there is some level of competition for the best, who then gets the Grant.

I certainly don't have a issue with Govt encouraging and supporting, and investigating in citizens in that way.
As long as the country is in debt, they cannot forgive debt. Pay the debt off and when the country is in good financial shape, discretionary spending and charity can continue--just like any responsible citizen does.

jmo
Why should responsible people who paid off their loans not get that money refunded?
Why shouldn't people who didn't go to college receive a similar amount from the government, to spend as they choose?
Why shouldn't the colleges refund the money if they didn't provide an education that was credible enough to ensure loan repayments?

151980903_10224918755546421_2299844379511703644_n.jpg

jmo
What's next--forgiving consumer credit card debt because interest rates are usury? C'mon--student loan interest rates are extremely low. The students that are clamoring for forgiveness are the ones that paid off their credit cards while ignoring the student loan because the credit cards had higher interest rates. Meanwhile, the student loan principle continued to grow--like paying the minimum payment on a credit card. These are supposedly highly educated people who apparently didn't get what they paid for from the colleges or are just playing the system.

Forum List

Back