Lawmakers tell Detroit - No welfare if your kids are truant from school

We have to consider that many of the kids that don't go to school are correctly judging that they will not gain anything from being there.

Either the school is too crappy, or they are too stupid.

Repeal truancy laws. Let the schools focus on the kids that actually want to learn.

As long as those who choose not to or aren't made to go by their parents aren't allowed to live off the rest of us when their lack of education earns them a low wage.

Certainly.

Though it should be kept in mind that

A. Not having a formal education does not assure a low wage.

and

B. Many of the reasons that it is so hard to make a decent wage without an education are the results of policies that can be changed. See Degree Inflation and bad Trade Policy.

While it doesn't assure a low wage, statistics do show that the lower the education the lower the income. In general, someone with less than a high school diploma earns significantly less than someone with an advanced college degree.

Very true.

But some people are not going to be doing work that requires a lot of higher thinking.

From housecleaners to garbage men to painters to roofers, ect, ect ect.

There is no reason to force them to go to school and be bored and make trouble for the students who want to learn, when they could be already earning.

The problem comes in when people do jobs that require little to no thinking skills, they make low wages. That's when the more Liberal minded people start ranting and raving about a living wage for people doing jobs for which their choices (i.e. - truancy from school resulting in low level skills) produced a low wage.

We have to consider that many of the kids that don't go to school are correctly judging that they will not gain anything from being there.

Repeal truancy laws. Let the schools focus on the kids that actually want to learn.

As long as those who choose not to or aren't made to go by their parents aren't allowed to live off the rest of us when their lack of education earns them a low wage.

Certainly.

and

B. Many of the reasons that it is so hard to make a decent wage without an education are the results of policies that can be changed. See Degree Inflation and bad Trade Policy.

While it doesn't assure a low wage, statistics do show that the lower the education the lower the income. In general, someone with less than a high school diploma earns significantly less than someone with an advanced college degree.

Very true.

But some people are not going to be doing work that requires a lot of higher thinking.

There is no reason to force them to go to school and be bored and make trouble for the students who want to learn, when they could be already earning.

The problem comes in when people do jobs that require little to no thinking skills, they make low wages. That's when the more Liberal minded people start ranting and raving about a living wage for people doing jobs for which their choices (i.e. - truancy from school resulting in low level skills) produced a low wage.

Holding them in school does not change that fact.

It just ruins the school, and brings down those who actually want to learn.

Certainly.

and

Very true.

I'm all for accommodating those that don't want to be there. However, when their choice produces results of not being able to support oneself, I'm all for not having the taxpayers do it.

Certainly.

and

Very true.

I'm all for accommodating those that don't want to be there. However, when their choice produces results of not being able to support oneself, I'm all for not having the taxpayers do it.

That is an whole other conversation.

Point here is that a significant percentage of the population is NOT going to benefit from much schooling beyond reading and simple, really simply math.

They are certainly being needless tortured by being forced to go to school when they don't want to.

And they naturally, being bored and completely uninterested in what is going on, get into trouble.

THey don't want to go to school? Let them not go to school.

It's not those who are going on to college who are missing too much school. Mostly it's not even those who are going to graduate who are missing school.

If they are going to be in low skilled jobs for their entire lives, might as well let them get started.

Forcing them to pretend to be school children is not doing anyone favors.

Thanks teachers unions!

Thanks teachers unions!

That is certainly part of the problem.

But the primary issue is illegitimacy and the resulting single mother families.

Very true.

Point here is that a significant percentage of the population is NOT going to benefit from much schooling beyond reading and simple, really simply math.

They are certainly being needless tortured by being forced to go to school when they don't want to.

And they naturally, being bored and completely uninterested in what is going on, get into trouble.

It's not those who are going on to college who are missing too much school. Mostly it's not even those who are going to graduate who are missing school.

If they are going to be in low skilled jobs for their entire lives, might as well let them get started.

I agree to let them not go. However, in reality, what you call another conversation is a direct result in today's society. They do get handed something for nothing. Since one produces the other, I say let them have the choice to not go but give the rest of us a choice to not have to subsidize the bad results of theirs.

Very true.

I agree to let them not go. However, in reality, what you call another conversation is a direct result in today's society. They do get handed something for nothing. Since one produces the other, I say let them have the choice to not go but give the rest of us a choice to not have to subsidize the bad results of theirs.

If we don't force years of extended childhood on young adults, maybe they are MORE likely to become functional adults instead of acting out.

Perhaps the bills for those programs might actually go DOWN, instead of always up.

If we don't force years of extended childhood on young adults, maybe they are MORE likely to become functional adults instead of acting out.

Perhaps the bills for those programs might actually go DOWN, instead of always up.

That's why I said let them not go. If we continue to support them for choosing not to go, they won't become functional adults. Let them not go but also let them deal with the results of not doing so later in life.

That's why I said let them not go. If we continue to support them for choosing not to go, they won't become functional adults. Let them not go but also let them deal with the results of not doing so later in life.

On the other hand, if at some point they change their mind, there is no reason not to allow a more mature and sensible person to get their diploma down the line.

Online perhaps.

On the other hand, if at some point they change their mind, there is no reason not to allow a more mature and sensible person to get their diploma down the line.

Online perhaps.

Who funds it?

Online perhaps.

Who funds it?

Online GEDs? Sounds like nominal cost. Who pays now?

Forum List

Back