Largest settlement in US history over police misconduct reached: $45M in Randy Cox case

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
Once again, taxpayers have to pick up the tab for egregious police misconduct:

$45 million settlement has been reached in the civil police brutality case involving Richard "Randy" Cox, a Black man now paralyzed from the chest down following an arrest by police officers in New Haven, Connecticut, nearly a year ago.
Five New Haven police officers were charged after Cox was left partially paralyzed while being transported in a police van.
Cox had been detained on a weapons charge when he was being driven to a police station on June 19, 2022. The van's driver slammed on the brakes at an intersection, allegedly to avoid a collision, causing Cox to fly headfirst into a metal partition inside the van.
Police video shows Cox was handcuffed when he was in the back of the New Haven police van, which was not equipped with seat belts.
About 30 seconds before the van abruptly stopped, footage shows Cox lying on the floor in the back of the vehicle trying to get up. He has difficulty doing so, apparently because he is handcuffed, the footage shows.
Video shows Cox eventually is able to get back into a seated position moments before Officer Oscar Diaz braked hard. The officer claimed he slammed on the brakes to avoid a collision, police said.
External footage shows Diaz driving down a residential street and then honk the horn three times and motion to another vehicle, as a loud thud can be heard from the back of the police vehicle Minutes after the crash, Cox said, "I can't move. I'm going to die like this. Please, please, please help me," USA TODAY previously reported.

As Cox pleaded for help, some of the officers at the detention center mocked him and accused him of being drunk and faking his injuries, according to dialogue captured by surveillance and body-worn camera footage.

lol another Pity Party for a feral gun thug.

Cox, known as Randy and R.R., was arrested at the party and charged with illegal possession of a firearm, among other counts. Police said he had a bottle of liquor in his hand and a gun in his waistband.

lol lol lol what could possibly go wrong here? ....

While Cox has not been convicted of a felony, according to the state judicial website, he has several convictions for third-degree assault, a misdemeanor, which disqualify him from being able to carry a weapon, according to his attorney, Jack O’Donnell.

Violent thug, a mass shooting just waiting to happen. The police should be given medals for saving black lives on Juneteenth. The van driver probably saved a lot of future victims of violence from death and injury at the hands of this guy.

Yes. Persecuting innocent cops to appease black racism isn't, though.
You are looking at it all wrong if what they say is true.....That the majority of Black Crime is committed by about 15% of them. 45M a pop might not be too bad a deal to get shed of them since they won't go for the .50 cent solution.....A 9mm to the nape of the neck. ;)

You are looking at it all wrong if what they say is true.....That the majority of Black Crime is committed by about 15% of them. 45M a pop might not be too bad a deal to get shed of them since they won't go for the .50 cent solution.....A 9mm to the nape of the neck. ;)

I still like my plan better; it gets rid of 50% of the feral animals and puts them in zoos.

"Zoos" cost money that the public is unwilling to spend. Holes are cheap to dig if you use a backhoe.

I would prefer wildlife reservations in Zimbabwe or the Sudan, but we have to put them someplace first. We can leave trails of Skittles and crack for them to follow into blind alleys or canyons or something.

Looks like New Haven are forced to raise their budget another 6 to 7 per cent.
$45 million is a big chunk.

Once again, taxpayers have to pick up the tab for egregious police misconduct:

$45 million settlement has been reached in the civil police brutality case involving Richard "Randy" Cox, a Black man now paralyzed from the chest down following an arrest by police officers in New Haven, Connecticut, nearly a year ago.
Five New Haven police officers were charged after Cox was left partially paralyzed while being transported in a police van.
Cox had been detained on a weapons charge when he was being driven to a police station on June 19, 2022. The van's driver slammed on the brakes at an intersection, allegedly to avoid a collision, causing Cox to fly headfirst into a metal partition inside the van.
Police video shows Cox was handcuffed when he was in the back of the New Haven police van, which was not equipped with seat belts.
About 30 seconds before the van abruptly stopped, footage shows Cox lying on the floor in the back of the vehicle trying to get up. He has difficulty doing so, apparently because he is handcuffed, the footage shows.
Video shows Cox eventually is able to get back into a seated position moments before Officer Oscar Diaz braked hard. The officer claimed he slammed on the brakes to avoid a collision, police said.
External footage shows Diaz driving down a residential street and then honk the horn three times and motion to another vehicle, as a loud thud can be heard from the back of the police vehicle Minutes after the crash, Cox said, "I can't move. I'm going to die like this. Please, please, please help me," USA TODAY previously reported.

As Cox pleaded for help, some of the officers at the detention center mocked him and accused him of being drunk and faking his injuries, according to dialogue captured by surveillance and body-worn camera footage.
hopefully the citizens of New Haven wise up and vote out the sort of leadership in the executive office that does this sort of thing

Forum List

Back