larger than big American cities, 4.5 million American adults are on probation or parole — 3/4 for nonviolent offenses

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015

There are more people on probation and parole in this country than live in Los Angeles, Houston, or Chicago. That should outrage anybody.

We need to give people SECOND CHANCES instead of treating them as SECOND-CLASS citizens. We need to set people up for SUCCESS instead of keeping them under constant SUPERVISION.

Can't do that. What would the private prison system do for money?

I do agree that we have way too many people in prison for stuff that they should have been on probation for though. Did you know that it costs around 100 dollars per day to keep someone in jail?

There are more people on probation and parole in this country than live in Los Angeles, Houston, or Chicago. That should outrage anybody.

We need to give people SECOND CHANCES instead of treating them as SECOND-CLASS citizens. We need to set people up for SUCCESS instead of keeping them under constant SUPERVISION.
indeed.

Can't do that. What would the private prison system do for money?

I do agree that we have way too many people in prison for stuff that they should have been on probation for though. Did you know that it costs around 100 dollars per day to keep someone in jail?

Considering the amount of grief that criminals cause their victims, $100 a day is actually quite the bargain. If someone rips off people's cars, robs the liquor store or rapes little old ladies, they can cause quite a bit more that 100 in grief each day they are out.

1. The last I checked, the president signed the "First-Step Program," for incarcerated people. That is a major help.
2. So, what are people on "probation and parole" for: COMMITTING CRIMES that are on the books. This may be difficult to comprehend, but if you DON'T commit the crimes that your politicians put on the books, you won't go to jail or prison and thus need not probation or parole. Radical concept....huh!

All the criminals have to do to stay out of jail is OBEY THE LAW!

why is that so difficult for libs to understand?

I do agree that we have way too many people in prison for stuff that they should have been on probation for though.
Such as?

Well, for one, possession of marijuana. At most, it should be a fine and probation if they didn't catch any other charges. Why do I say this? Because marijuana is well on it's way to being legal in the USA.
Radical concept....each state is responsible for its own laws that are on their books. The only laws that supersede state laws are federal laws. If you are in a state in which marijuana is illegal, petition for it to be legalized in that state. If it fails, it stays illegal and if you want, you are free to move to a state that has legalized it. If it passes, then celebrate, but remember this, in every state in which it has been legalized, it is rightfully treated the same as the laws regarding the consumption of alcohol, when it comes to operating heavy machinery and motor vehicles.

All the criminals have to do to stay out of jail is OBEY THE LAW!

why is that so difficult for libs to understand?
Or become politicians

I do agree that we have way too many people in prison for stuff that they should have been on probation for though.
Such as?

Well, for one, possession of marijuana. At most, it should be a fine and probation if they didn't catch any other charges. Why do I say this? Because marijuana is well on it's way to being legal in the USA.

I agree that it is very likely that grass will be legal in the not too distant future in America. However, after it is legal, America is going to need more prison cells than ever. Expect a huge crackdown on people slinging untaxed dope. The politicians are very greedy, and will suddenly consider the offense a lot more serious once they are wetting their beaks and collecting taxes.

Hillary-Clinton-DNC-surprise.jpg

Did someone say give a second chance to criminals?

Such as?

I hear this a lot but I dont believe simple users are going to prison for pot

dealers yes, but not common users

However, after it is legal, America is going to need more prison cells than ever. Expect a huge crackdown on people slinging untaxed dope.
The Prince makes a good point

the vast majority of people in prison are there for distribution

so a few less inmates for simple possession but I dont think many career criminals like George Floyd are going to turn over a new leaf

Such as?

I hear this a lot but I dont believe simple users are going to prison for pot

dealers yes, but not common users

Never been to OK then have you? Their marijuana laws were positively Draconian. When CO legalized it, OK had officers on the border with CO to stop people at random and check their cars to see if they were carrying anything. Now? They have eased up on their laws a bit, but you can still be hammered if you are carrying more than 1.5 oz.

Or.... stop breaking the law! Hey, how about that concept?

Forum List

Back