Lab-Grown Meat Is Coming to Your Supermarket. Ready For it?

Lab-Grown Meat Is Coming to Your Supermarket. Ranchers Are Fighting Back.

Check this out ! I'm not sure exactly how I feel about it or if I would partake. I have been sworn off of meat for a long time- for many reasons including love and respect for animals, concern for the environment , and personal health.

This new development seems to remove the first two concerns but it may still may clog your arteries -unless it is engineered to be super lean and without cholesterol.

I honestly don't know if I would be tempted considering there are so many great and healthy alternatives to meat. As it is, it's hard for me to get around to all of the tasty and wholesome plant based foods that there are. What do you all think?

Would you eat a hamburger or a chicken nugget made of meat grown in a laboratory?

Joshua Tetrick, co-founder and CEO of JUST, is betting that you will. The San Francisco-based company has been producing and selling non-animal versions of food, like mayonnaise, since 2013, and it's raised more than $310 million in venture capital.

Tetrick and his team have created products like Just Mayo by identifying plant-based alternatives to common animal products, like eggs, using a combination of lab experiments and machine-learning.

Last edited:
Really long OP, Patriot. You might want to cut it back some before FCT does.
Rodishi has a thread open on this too in Global Topics. She's having a bird about it; the starving of the world deserve it; we don't need no GMO shit.

In answer to your question, I'd try it. I'll try most anything once. But I think I'd probably feel about the way you do--there's plenty of good stuff to eat besides meat. I'm not a vegetarian, but I could certainly live without it. Except maybe for bacon.

Rodishi has a thread open on this too in Global Topics. She's having a bird about it; the starving of the world deserve it; we don't need no GMO shit.

In answer to your question, I'd try it. I'll try most anything once. But I think I'd probably feel about the way you do--there's plenty of good stuff to eat besides meat. I'm not a vegetarian, but I could certainly live without it. Except maybe for bacon.
Oh shit! That was a mistake. Don't know how that happened. Its fixed now. Thanks

I'm sure there are many that wouldn't have a problem with this, but that crap wouldn't make it past my front door. Nor would I even be willing to try it. Since it's not even plant based, and is not mentioned about what it is from other than a test tube or petri dish, there are no studies done to ensure it's safety &/or nutritional value.

If & when it does make it to the market shelves, it damn well better having an easily identifiable label stating just what it is and an ingredient & fat/vitamin/mineral content & breakdown, just like anything else. Just so I know what NOT to buy

I'm sure there are many that wouldn't have a problem with this, but that crap wouldn't make it past my front door. Nor would I even be willing to try it. Since it's not even plant based, and is not mentioned about what it is from other than a test tube or petri dish, there are no studies done to ensure it's safety &/or nutritional value.

If & when it does make it to the market shelves, it damn well better having an easily identifiable label stating just what it is and an ingredient & fat/vitamin/mineral content & breakdown, just like anything else. Just so I know what NOT to buy
Right. Too many people don't think much about what they consume. I'm kind of leaning away from it too. I've been doing fine with out (mammal ) meat for a long time and do not feel a need to go back. While i was transitioning away from meat, I would occasionally laps hade have a hamburger and always was disappointed and felt bad for doing it. I do eat poultry and .fish though

You never did expound on that "starving world". That you still need to eat some pig is kinda telling though.

Right. Too many people don't think much about what they consume. I'm kind of leaning away from it too. I've been doing fine with out (mammal ) meat for a long time and do not feel a need to go back. While i was transitioning away from meat, I would occasionally laps hade have a hamburger and always was disappointed and felt bad for doing it. I do eat poultry and .fish though
By chance is your favorite pan a wok and fav eating utensil a set of chopsticks?

I guess i'm old school

I can interview dinner

off it's head, wipe it's ass, & bon appetit!

:splat:~S~:splat:

You never did expound on that "starving world". That you still need to eat some pig is kinda telling though.

By chance is your favorite pan a wok and fav eating utensil a set of chopsticks?
Why would you think that?

Poultry and fish are not meat?

Why would you think that?
Just a hunch.

Blobbie, the meat blob.

I wish Better Off Ted hadn't been canceled. I really liked that show.

Good show, but I'm not sure they could have sustained it for another season or two ... the jokes had pretty much played themselves out. The whole Sam and Diane thing with Ted and Linda wasn't working. My favourite character was Veronica and they were making her more bizarre as the show went on.

My favourite parts were the corporate videos.

I've been doing fine with out [sic] (mammal ) meat for a long time and do not feel a need to go back. While i was transitioning away from meat, I would occasionally laps [sic] hade [sic] have a hamburger and always was disappointed and felt bad for doing it. I do eat poultry and fish though

Poultry and fish are not meat?

I've always found that rather strange, too, about some “vegetarians”, especially those who try to claim any sort of moral high ground on the basis of their “vegetarianism”. Birds and fish are animals, just as mammals are; and their muscles and organs are meat, just as those of mammals are. Birds and fish are no more or less valid as sources of certain proteins and nutrients that we humans need, that are very difficult to get from plant-based sources, than mammals are.

Soylent Green is People.

I'll pass.

Soylent Green is People.

I'll pass.
Great sci-fi film but that is not what this is---I don't think.

How would you know? It is said the humans taste like pork. It's not inconceivable that human meat could be grown in a lab.

No thank you.

I'm not eating lab grown meat. And I'm not going to try the Impossible bleeding vegan burger, either.

Forum List

Back