La Times opinion piece: The state can balance their budget by simply closing the prisons

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
Damn, why hasn't every state figured this out?!!
Brilliant!

Opinion: Newsom should solve two problems at once: Close prisons and cut spending​

© (Eric Risberg / Associated Press)
California stands at a pivotal moment as Gov. Gavin Newsom confronts a looming deadline to sign the state budget into law by July 1. Democrats are still haggling behind the scenes about many priorities, so it’s not too late to make the right calls. California’s daunting $32-billion deficit presents another opportunity to do something the state needed to do anyway: curb out-of-control spending on our state’s sprawling prison system.

Do it!

1gqvyw.jpg

Brilliant!

Opinion: Newsom should solve two problems at once: Close prisons and cut spending​

Yes, but balancing the budget would make the heads of the Left explode in rage

What a dilemma.

The prison systems in the U.S are an industry, that is a MAJOR problem. I believe house arrest with a ankle bracelet makes sense in many cases. Saving taxpayers money while keeping citizens safe. Just have the perp.check in on!ine, work with rehabilitation contacts etc. The West has to ge smart. We need a strong military and civil liberties, not domestic industrial complexes as Canada has wth its policing

Last edited:
Many of America's prisons could be closed after a lengthy process of rehabilitating government attitudes on punishment and incarceration without any emphasis on rehabilitation.

It would be change that could be brought about only by many steps being taken to reform.

I doubt there are many Americans who are even interested in exploring the possibilities.

Many of America's prisons could be closed after a lengthy process of rehabilitating government attitudes on punishment and incarceration without any emphasis on rehabilitation.

It would be change that could be brought about only by many steps being taken to reform.

I doubt there are many Americans who are even interested in exploring the possibilities.

Good grief

Brilliant!

You didn't read the link, did you.

Of course you didn't. Because you already have a bogus narrative in your head.

From the OP link:

The state’s own analysis affirms that at least eight prisons statewide could be closed without overcrowding the remaining facilities.

[snip]

One prime candidate for closure is the California Rehabilitation Center in Norco. Notorious for cockroach and rodent infestations, poor drinking water and crumbling infrastructure, it has twice been targeted by lawmakers seeking to close the prison over the last decade. Both the mayor and the prison’s officials have expressed their support for the closure, recognizing the potential for much-needed development in Riverside County. Norco is a great candidate to close alongside the soon-to-be-shuttered Chuckawalla Valley State Prison in Blythe.

The towns surrounding these obsolete prisons fight their closure because they believe the prisons support their local economy.

It is essential to debunk the fallacy that prisons are strong engines for economic growth. In reality, rural prison towns have shouldered the burden of monolithic prison economies for far too long. Blythe has been home to Ironwood State Prison and Chuckawalla since 1994. And yet, for 30 years, these prisons have done little to prevent a quarter of Blythe’s population from living in poverty. This glaring reality underscores the inherent inadequacy of prisons as sustainable solutions for economic development.

If prisons are closed, and all manner of terrible people are out to roam the streets again, there would be very little point on arresting any of them for the crimes we all know they will proceed to commit. Because an arrest only hauls them off the street for a criminal trial. But, a criminal trial without prison to back it up is of little to no use at all.

So, logically, I suppose when they shit down the prisons, they should also shut down the criminal courts. And while they’re at it, that makes police of no further value. So completely defund all police departments and sheriffs offices.

Those saving are really gonna bloom now. Except, the taxpayers are unlikely to stay in a state where there are no cops or criminal courts or prisons. So, it will collapse the entire system.

Now we’re talking some real savings!

If prisons are closed, and all manner of terrible people are out to roam the streets again, there would be very little point on arresting any of them for the crimes we all know they will proceed to commit. Because an arrest only hauls them off the street for a criminal trial. But, a criminal trial without prison to back it up is of little to no use at all.

So, logically, I suppose when they shit down the prisons, they should also shut down the criminal courts. And while they’re at it, that makes police of no further value. So completely defund all police departments and sheriffs offices.

Those saving are really gonna bloom now. Except, the taxpayers are unlikely to stay in a state where there are no cops or criminal courts or prisons. So, it will collapse the entire system.

Now we’re talking some real savings!
You fools really should read the OP link instead of listening to the voices in your head.

You didn't read the link, did you.

Of course you didn't. Because you already have a bogus narrative in your head.

Yes I read the damn article, and I understand what the economic focus the author is trying to get across. I however disagree with his claims that closing some prisons will NOT result in overcrowding at other facilities.
He's a member of CURB, a radical anti-incarceration organization that seeks to close prisons and end incarceration. He's using economic arguments to further his organization's main focus.

Yes I read the damn article, and I understand what the economic focus the author is trying to get across. I however disagree with his claims that closing some prisons will NOT result in overcrowding at other facilities.
He's a member of CURB, a radical anti-incarceration organization that seeks to close prisons and end incarceration. He's using economic arguments to further his organization's main focus.
Here is an analysis by the nonpartisan Legislative Analyst's Office: The 2023-24 Budget: The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation

This report was linked in the OP link.

Number of Empty Prison Beds in Operation Projected to Grow to Nearly 20,000 by 2027

As discussed above, the Governor’s proposals would leave about 15,000 empty beds in the near term. As shown in Figure 4, the projected long‑term decline in the prison population suggests that, after the proposed deactivations are completed, the state could have nearly 20,000 empty prison beds—comprising about 20 percent of the state’s total prison capacity. This means that the state could be in a position to deactivate around five additional prisons by 2027, while still remaining roughly 2,500 people below the federal court‑ordered population limit.

Forum List

Back