Knives. best Hunting knife

21749005_2-jpg.458698

Now that really is the worst I've seen.

This is one I used to carry when I was on a team in the Army.
About as good as you can get.

external-content-duckduckgo-com-jpg.458494
That handle is guaranteed to hang up on everything when moving through the thick stuff. Having an edge on the top means one can't use another hand to put pressure on it. It isn't a hunting knife.

Last edited:
Really nice stuff.

But when you're a Jet you're a Jet all the way ...

Frank Beltrame 9" stiletto. I have a camel bone that goes with the car keys.

I have several Frank Beltrames knives. When I made switchers and knives I was close to Frank, couple other Italian makers too but Frank made the best. I have his picklocks, the one pictured looks like a swivel bolster. In 2004 Frank sent me 2 gorgeous picklocks for a wedding gift.

OP. Hunting ie, dressing or camp knife? I dress with a 3 inch clip point. Camp knives I have many, some will even chop. Mostly custom made.

The problem with the knife you show, is there is no safe and easy way to carry it for long distances. That thing will constantly hang up on anything around it. It will stab you when you sit down, it will in a word, be a miserable thing to live with on a daily basis.
Not at all. I've carried it through hill and dale everywhere, climbing, running, hiking, camping, on the hip, inside my coat. It comes with a big, beautifully made well designed leather sheath.
View attachment 458698
Imagine trying to move through this sort of country with that on one's belt. It'd be in one's daypack after ten minutes.

whirinaki1.jpg

Yes, such a BURDEN trying to carry a knife maybe an inch wide at the scabbard! The horror of putting up with a knife actually big enough to hack and cut through jungle shit like you show even though I'm not expecting to be in Borneo anytime soon, but if I was, and some big cat or boar jumped out attacking me, I'd very likely be able to kill it before it got me with that terrible knife of mine!

• Funny
Reactions: cnm
I carry a sharpfinger every day.

That's a good knife, and about $20 if I recall. I never understood these guys who spend $4-500 on a knife to take hunting. Same guys who use a $4,000 rifle that shoots better than they ever will, probably.

My EDK knife is a Benchmade Osborne axis lock. It cost me 200 bucks almost 25 years ago. I have used it and used it and even abused it, and it is still going strong. That's why I buy 200 dollar knives. They are tools. The better they are, the longer they last. Like the old adage says, "beware the man with one knife. He probably knows how to use it".

Cool, man. My point is that a tool doesn't always need to be expensive to be good. I use a Morakniv carbon steel knife for hunting. It functions beautifully and set me back $16.

nz-cmg-cs-65_1.jpg

And my point is the better the tool, the longer it lasts. That's all. You wondered why we spend the money on them that we do. That's the reason.

The problem with the knife you show, is there is no safe and easy way to carry it for long distances. That thing will constantly hang up on anything around it. It will stab you when you sit down, it will in a word, be a miserable thing to live with on a daily basis.

Not at all. I've carried it through hill and dale everywhere, climbing, running, hiking, camping, on the hip, inside my coat. It comes with a big, beautifully made well designed leather sheath.

View attachment 458698

Well, I'm glad it works for you.

The horror of putting up with a knife actually big enough to hack and cut through jungle shit like you show
One can't hack through it. One has to move through it like a ghost. That's why it's important one's gear does not hang one up. And it's not Borneo, it's NZ.

Last edited:
Another knife I like is a Luftwaffe Fliegerkappmesser gravity knife made with Solingen steel. Mine is made of a drab green checkered synthetic material I couldn't find a picture of on the web, but here's some pictures of wood handed ones, some with the awl extended.

german_luftwaffe_paratrooper_gravity_knife-4.jpg

products-0a4405c3832aa985423948e77ef739f9.jpg

11124094_2.jpg

10822727_2.jpg

products-a707ece1c24be94f15181d6b66981b13.jpg

What's nice about it is that you can be walking along with your hands in your coat pocket keeping warm and as quick as you can take your hand out, you've got a fully extended knife with razor sharp 4" blade.

The horror of putting up with a knife actually big enough to hack and cut through jungle shit like you show
One can't hack through it. One has to move through it like a ghost. That's why it's important one's gear does not hang one up. And it's not Borneo, it's NZ.

Looks like some of the bush outside of Karamea. Kahurangi Natl. Park?

Another knife I like is a Luftwaffe Fliegerkappmesser gravity knife made with Solingen steel. Mine is made of a drab green checkered synthetic material I couldn't find a picture of on the web, but here's some pictures of wood handed ones, some with the awl extended.

View attachment 458733
View attachment 458734
View attachment 458735
View attachment 458736
View attachment 458737

What's nice about it is that you can be walking along with your hands in your coat pocket keeping warm and as quick as you can take your hand out, you've got a fully extended knife with razor sharp 4" blade.

Solingen is the city where it was made. Solingen has been the city of knife makers for centuries.

One can't hack through it.
Well, I CAN hack through the other 99% of stuff out there if I need to. That was the point. And I'm not in fucking NZ, and as usual, you always think you know more about something than other people even about a knife you've never even held or used. I've never had a problem in my entire life with the knife, its attributes outweigh its disadvantages, but you know, it's not the ONLY knife in the world, I have many others, and if it isn't the right knife for the conditions or day, I simply carry something else.

You're allowed to do that.

View attachment 458733
View attachment 458734
View attachment 458735
View attachment 458736
View attachment 458737

Solingen is the city where it was made. Solingen has been the city of knife makers for centuries.

Yeah. I know. It's stamped right on the blade.

Well, I CAN hack through the other 99% of stuff out there if I need to. That was the point.
Whilst scaring off everything within miles.

Idiot, if I'm hacking stuff down, it is to use it as raw material or to build a fire. Otherwise, I'm hacking it down because I HAVE to. At least I have a knife that I CAN hack things with! And if there is stuff out there that can eat me, I WANT to scare it away! And who the fuck goes hunting for game to eat in a place so thick you can't move in the first place? How the hell are you going to see it much less catch it? What about all the crap you just stepped on in that thick place? Lastly, if it is that thick and you don't want stuff to get hung up, you simply wear it differently!

Forum List

Back