Knives. best Hunting knife

superskinner-jpg.458754
Mmmm. Perhaps a little too much belly for me but very nice.

I've had my Puma knife called the White Hunter since the early 1970's.
(internet picture, not mine)
The knife had a loyal following among U.S Army soldiers during the Vietnam war.
Although not considered a fighting knife, it features a thick heavy blade that is perfect for cutting through dense jungle or tangled brush, while still keeping a razor sharp blade.
Hand made in Solingen out of the best German steel for well over a century.
Carried by professional hunting guides and trackers around the world.
It's considered by many to be the ultimate hunting knife.

1613690922455.png

Last edited:
I carry a sharpfinger every day.

That's a good knife, and about $20 if I recall. I never understood these guys who spend $4-500 on a knife to take hunting. Same guys who use a $4,000 rifle that shoots better than they ever will, probably.
I was screwing around online and saw this last night;
1613693993148.png

priced at $375.

I pulled out my sharpfinger, ($20 as you said and easily replaced in any city or town in the country)
1613694094573.png
and held it up and compared the 2, and while I have no doubt the Kramer is a better knife overall, I seriously doubt it's that much better.

That's a good knife, and about $20 if I recall. I never understood these guys who spend $4-500 on a knife to take hunting. Same guys who use a $4,000 rifle that shoots better than they ever will, probably.

My EDK knife is a Benchmade Osborne axis lock. It cost me 200 bucks almost 25 years ago. I have used it and used it and even abused it, and it is still going strong. That's why I buy 200 dollar knives. They are tools. The better they are, the longer they last. Like the old adage says, "beware the man with one knife. He probably knows how to use it".

Cool, man. My point is that a tool doesn't always need to be expensive to be good. I use a Morakniv carbon steel knife for hunting. It functions beautifully and set me back $16.

nz-cmg-cs-65_1.jpg

And my point is the better the tool, the longer it lasts. That's all. You wondered why we spend the money on them that we do. That's the reason.
I hear what you're saying and I don't really disagree but the fact is, I bought one of these;
1613694576363.png

for about $30 my first year in the Army and took it everywhere, and did absolutely everything with it, and it's still working just fine. I did replace the sheath at one point, but that's it.

Really nice stuff.

But when you're a Jet you're a Jet all the way ...

Frank Beltrame 9" stiletto. I have a camel bone that goes with the car keys.

I have several Frank Beltrames knives. When I made switchers and knives I was close to Frank, couple other Italian makers too but Frank made the best. I have his picklocks, the one pictured looks like a swivel bolster. In 2004 Frank sent me 2 gorgeous picklocks for a wedding gift.

OP. Hunting ie, dressing or camp knife? I dress with a 3 inch clip point. Camp knives I have many, some will even chop. Mostly custom made.
I like stiletos too, but I find them too delicate for any serious chores.

My EDK knife is a Benchmade Osborne axis lock. It cost me 200 bucks almost 25 years ago. I have used it and used it and even abused it, and it is still going strong. That's why I buy 200 dollar knives. They are tools. The better they are, the longer they last. Like the old adage says, "beware the man with one knife. He probably knows how to use it".

Cool, man. My point is that a tool doesn't always need to be expensive to be good. I use a Morakniv carbon steel knife for hunting. It functions beautifully and set me back $16.

nz-cmg-cs-65_1.jpg

And my point is the better the tool, the longer it lasts. That's all. You wondered why we spend the money on them that we do. That's the reason.
I hear what you're saying and I don't really disagree but the fact is, I bought one of these;View attachment 458834
for about $30 my first year in the Army and took it everywhere, and did absolutely everything with it, and it's still working just fine. I did replace the sheath at one point, but that's it.

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with mass produced knives. I buy Benchmade because they are made here in the USA, and I like supporting US makers. Hell, my Bagwell cost 2,600 bucks and I had to wait three and a half years. But, I can sell it tomorrow for 5 grand. So, really good knives, by renowned makers, are investments.

What I'm using currently for my all around hunting/camping/bushcraft knife. Have no idea what it's made out of but I suspect it is 7Cr17.

I think It was $20...now $23...

20210218_174231(1).jpg

20210218_174301(1).jpg

Amazon.com

Quarter inch spine...pretty sure the forge marks are pressed in, but they allow for terrific grip when choking up on the blade.

Added the sharpfinger for scale.

nz-cmg-cs-65_1.jpg

I hear what you're saying and I don't really disagree but the fact is, I bought one of these;View attachment 458834

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with mass produced knives. I buy Benchmade because they are made here in the USA, and I like supporting US makers. Hell, my Bagwell cost 2,600 bucks and I had to wait three and a half years. But, I can sell it tomorrow for 5 grand. So, really good knives, by renowned makers, are investments.
I have plenty of high-end, custom made, or limited edition stuff in my collection of guns, knives and other kit, but stuff that I carry and use every day is all real basic stuff........ stuff that's tough, functional and reliable, and easily replaced with little regret.

Really nice stuff.

I have several Frank Beltrames knives. When I made switchers and knives I was close to Frank, couple other Italian makers too but Frank made the best. I have his picklocks, the one pictured looks like a swivel bolster. In 2004 Frank sent me 2 gorgeous picklocks for a wedding gift.

OP. Hunting ie, dressing or camp knife? I dress with a 3 inch clip point. Camp knives I have many, some will even chop. Mostly custom made.

I find them difficult to walk in...

Really nice stuff.

I find them difficult to walk in...
I thought I was the only one...

Although not considered a fighting knife, it features a thick heavy blade that is perfect for cutting through dense jungle or tangled brush, while still keeping a razor sharp blade.
Knives are useless - or at least not very good, the springy vines absorb the energy of the blow by moving and stay uncut - at that. A pair of secateurs and a pruning saw is the go if one is going to try to cut through vines and shit.

Last edited:
Really nice stuff.

Well, I don't carry mine to hunt buffalo.

Really nice stuff.

I carried one as a pocket knife for years until a firearm instructor in Tennessee, who was also a sheriff's deputy, told me it was illegal. He pointed out that it would suck to have a carry permit for your pistol and STILL get arrested because of the pocket knife you carried.
And I saw a folder close on a guys fingers when the lock failed. So I switched to fixed blades.

Really nice stuff.

I carried one as a pocket knife for years until a firearm instructor in Tennessee, who was also a sheriff's deputy, told me it was illegal. He pointed out that it would suck to have a carry permit for your pistol and STILL get arrested because of the pocket knife you carried.
And I saw a folder close on a guys fingers when the lock failed. So I switched to fixed blades.

Perfectly legal in Virginia. I had a half-size one when I was about 7 years old.

Forum List

Back