Knives. best Hunting knife

lg325

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2020
Florida's Past
The Five Best Hunting Knives Ever (msn.com) Its an interesting article. Randall knives are made in my home town I was never able to afford one.
1613620701056.png

Really nice stuff.

But when you're a Jet you're a Jet all the way ...

Frank Beltrame 9" stiletto. I have a camel bone that goes with the car keys.

60522476_1_x.jpg

The Five Best Hunting Knives Ever (msn.com) Its an interesting article. Randall knives are made in my home town I was never able to afford one.

BEST hunting knife? Mere toys IMO. Maybe good as a woodsman's utility knife, I'd call them. For me, a "hunting" knife is a knife that I'd feel safe HUNTING with. A knife to use in a pinch in case my gun fails, to protect me, or to kill prey, or to STOP prey from killing me. And a knife I can use for most other things for survival from cutting wood to skinning, preparing food, etc.

To me, no knife better fits that bill overall than the 15" Bowie knife once made by Jim Frost. His undertaker Bowie. Actually came in a casket with a leather sheath. It was death on as stick.

Every part of the knife was a tool or weapon--- protected the hand and fingers---- from the vicious teeth on back that would rip the flesh off anything drawn against down to the bone, to the razor sharp serrated teeth for sawing, to the blood holes for deep insertion, to the vicious edge it had, the brass knuckle-like tips on the finger guards to the punch pommel on back to break rocks, coconuts, skulls and bone. Or open a can.

A knife to give even Crocodile Dundee pause to consider.

il_fullxfull.680410499_ovif.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 11.46.32 PM.jpg

21749005_7.jpg

For me, a "hunting" knife is a knife that I'd feel safe HUNTING with. A knife to use in a pinch in case my gun fails, to protect me, or to kill prey, or to STOP prey from killing me. And a knife I can use for most other things for survival from cutting wood to skinning, preparing food, etc.

So, basically, shit you've never done and will never do.

Got it...

Wouldn't buy any of them.
1) Wrong blade shapes - I mean, clip points, what on earth is the point of them?
2) Not enough hand protection, as though blood etc., is not slippery.
3) The Loveless drop point if I was forced to use one of them.

BEST hunting knife? Mere toys IMO. Maybe good as a woodsman's utility knife, I'd call them. For me, a "hunting" knife is a knife that I'd feel safe HUNTING with. A knife to use in a pinch in case my gun fails, to protect me, or to kill prey, or to STOP prey from killing me. And a knife I can use for most other things for survival from cutting wood to skinning, preparing food, etc.

To me, no knife better fits that bill overall than the 15" Bowie knife once made by Jim Frost. His undertaker Bowie. Actually came in a casket with a leather sheath. It was death on as stick.

Every part of the knife was a tool or weapon--- protected the hand and fingers---- from the vicious teeth on back that would rip the flesh off anything drawn against down to the bone, to the razor sharp serrated teeth for sawing, to the blood holes for deep insertion, to the vicious edge it had, the brass knuckle-like tips on the finger guards to the punch pommel on back to break rocks, coconuts, skulls and bone. Or open a can.

View attachment 458489View attachment 458490
View attachment 458491
Jesus.

View attachment 458489View attachment 458490
View attachment 458491

Too many points. I carry a custom Bagwell Bowie. Damascus with ebony coffin handle. The handle cracked (as he predicted it would) after some real heavy use, but that thing is just an amazing tool.

Too many points.

Depends on what you like and need. I like the Frost Bowie because more than just an art piece (the thing really is beautiful!), everything is functional and serves a purpose. No matter what direction you go, the top of the blade is a weapon, the edge of the blade, the bottom of the grip, the back. No matter what side of that knife comes towards you, whether you be an attacker, a wild animal, etc., something's gonna hurt. Bad. The sight of it alone is enough to scare most people away.

For me, a "hunting" knife is a knife that I'd feel safe HUNTING with. A knife to use in a pinch in case my gun fails, to protect me, or to kill prey, or to STOP prey from killing me. And a knife I can use for most other things for survival from cutting wood to skinning, preparing food, etc.

So, basically, shit you've never done and will never do.

Got it...
My understanding is this is a thread like show and tell.
Educate them.
Don't criticize them.
Besides.....I will never stop learning till I die.....and that's why I like these types of threads.
Maybe someone knows something I don't know.

Too many points.

Depends on what you like and need. I like the Frost Bowie because more than just an art piece (the thing really is beautiful!), everything is functional and serves a purpose. No matter what direction you go, the top of the blade is a weapon, the edge of the blade, the bottom of the grip, the back. No matter what side of that knife comes towards you, whether you be an attacker, a wild animal, etc., something's gonna hurt. Bad. The sight of it alone is enough to scare most people away.

The problem with the knife you show, is there is no safe and easy way to carry it for long distances. That thing will constantly hang up on anything around it. It will stab you when you sit down, it will in a word, be a miserable thing to live with on a daily basis.

I carry a sharpfinger every day.

That's a good knife, and about $20 if I recall. I never understood these guys who spend $4-500 on a knife to take hunting. Same guys who use a $4,000 rifle that shoots better than they ever will, probably.

My EDK knife is a Benchmade Osborne axis lock. It cost me 200 bucks almost 25 years ago. I have used it and used it and even abused it, and it is still going strong. That's why I buy 200 dollar knives. They are tools. The better they are, the longer they last. Like the old adage says, "beware the man with one knife. He probably knows how to use it".

That's a good knife, and about $20 if I recall. I never understood these guys who spend $4-500 on a knife to take hunting. Same guys who use a $4,000 rifle that shoots better than they ever will, probably.

My EDK knife is a Benchmade Osborne axis lock. It cost me 200 bucks almost 25 years ago. I have used it and used it and even abused it, and it is still going strong. That's why I buy 200 dollar knives. They are tools. The better they are, the longer they last. Like the old adage says, "beware the man with one knife. He probably knows how to use it".

Cool, man. My point is that a tool doesn't always need to be expensive to be good. I use a Morakniv carbon steel knife for hunting. It functions beautifully and set me back $16.

nz-cmg-cs-65_1.jpg

The problem with the knife you show, is there is no safe and easy way to carry it for long distances. That thing will constantly hang up on anything around it. It will stab you when you sit down, it will in a word, be a miserable thing to live with on a daily basis.

Not at all. I've carried it through hill and dale everywhere, climbing, running, hiking, camping, on the hip, inside my coat. It comes with a big, beautifully made well designed leather sheath.

21749005_2.jpg

Cool, man. My point is that a tool doesn't always need to be expensive to be good. I use a Morakniv carbon steel knife for hunting. It functions beautifully and set me back $16.
nz-cmg-cs-65_1.jpg
Not the worst I've seen. Looks like a comfortable non slippery handle. Needs more drop point, maybe a bit more hand protection. I wouldn't buy it.

edit...Looks like the handle pokes out of the sheath enough to hang up on vines and stuff when moving through thick bush. But again, not the worst I've seen.

Not at all. I've carried it through hill and dale everywhere, climbing, running, hiking, camping, on the hip, inside my coat. It comes with a big, beautifully made well designed leather sheath.
View attachment 458698
Imagine trying to move through this sort of country with that on one's belt. It'd be in one's daypack after ten minutes.

whirinaki1.jpg

Forum List

Back