Zone1 King David

Meriweather

Not all who wander are lost
Oct 21, 2014
The Bloody King
Had many wives (Deuteronomy 17:17 says a king should not take many wives)
Saul
Amnon and Absalom

Anyone interested in King David? He was known as a bloody king, who (against Deuteronomy 17:17) had many wives, elbowed Saul's family out of the kingship, did nothing when one of his sons raped one of his daughters, and was at odds with another son, Absalom (whom he called "The young man") until Absalom was killed, and then David called him his son. And, there was the incident with Bathsheba and Uriah.

Despite all of this, David is known as a great King and a great man of God.

Can anyone well-versed in the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament give me more insight on King David? All of those battles...were there any women at all in David's time who had not lost loved ones and family members who fell in one of these battles? Was David resented because of this?

You'll note that David repented and asked for forgiveness, unlike those that claim they have never done anything that needed forgiveness.
David did not repent of taking more wives. He added to them, and also added concubines. David did not repent of doing nothing about the rape of his daughter--or of his concubines by his son Absalom. He did not repent of taking the throne from Saul's family. Nor did he repent of all the lives he took in battle or of all those who fell in his battles.

But, yes, I agree that David, in some matters, did have a contrite heart and acted with a contrite heart. The repentance of his taking a census, and insisting on paying (nstead of accepting the offer of another) for the threshing floor also speaks of his character. There were also the times his wise judgments did save lives.

The Bloody King
Had many wives (Deuteronomy 17:17 says a king should not take many wives)
Saul
Amnon and Absalom

Anyone interested in King David? He was known as a bloody king, who (against Deuteronomy 17:17) had many wives, elbowed Saul's family out of the kingship, did nothing when one of his sons raped one of his daughters, and was at odds with another son, Absalom (whom he called "The young man") until Absalom was killed, and then David called him his son. And, there was the incident with Bathsheba and Uriah.

Despite all of this, David is known as a great King and a great man of God.

Can anyone well-versed in the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament give me more insight on King David? All of those battles...were there any women at all in David's time who had not lost loved ones and family members who fell in one of these battles? Was David resented because of this?
Don't for the census David took of Israel, 70,000 died for that decision.

Don't for the census David took of Israel, 70,000 died for that decision.
Exactly. And as I recall because David had this fault of not being able to handle his own family, 20,000 died in the civil war caused when Absalom tried to take David's throne. Then all the other battles....It makes me wonder if there was ever a king who caused more blood and death than he.

Yet he is considered among the great.

That same verse you quote about acquiring many wives also instructs kings not to acquire silver and gold for themselves.

King David had 8 wives listed by name. King Solomon had over 300. He also acquired more personal wealth than any other.

I'll leave it to God to judge these men, not myself. Obviously, God saw something in David that we don't immediately see.

Another thing though, it was in David's heart to build a great temple to the Lord. He was denied, BECAUSE HE WAS A BLOODY MAN. God did allow it of his son Solomon though

You'll note that David repented and asked for forgiveness, unlike those that claim they have never done anything that needed forgiveness.
This is odd coming from someone like you. Democrats never allow for the fact that their political enemies can change over the years. REPENTANCE is never factored in with your political enemies

This is odd coming from someone like you. Democrats never allow for the fact that their political enemies can change over the years. REPENTANCE is never factored in with your political enemies
Of course change is possible. It takes admitting you were wrong, and proof of different, better behavior to be believable though. Time alone is not enough to remove past bad behavior.

Forum List

Back