Killing Homosexual Marriage

Conservative Christians and Catholics are not going to go along with abolishing the institution of marriage out of spite for same-sex marriage. The status between a married couple is much bigger than any contract that the couple can come up with themselves. For example, a spouse is legally the next of kin, a spouse gets pensions and social security benefits after the earning spouse dies, spouses can file joint taxes and joint bankruptcy, a spouse is responsible for all the debts incurred by the other spouse, including medical care, spouses are legally required to support each other, etc.

Also, I am a married man and abolishing marriage is a personal attack on my status and the status of my wife, and this goes deeper than man-made law. Marriage is a sacrament of the Catholic Church, and in Genesis it says that a man and wife become one flesh in the eyes of God, and the bond is not broken until death.

First of all, Christians and Catholics are out of choices if they wish to retain sanctity of marriage. If it remains a state sanctioned institution, it has to include homosexual marriage. .

Religious institutions can perform marriage- but religious marriage doesn't have to include mixed race couples or Jewish couples or gay couples.

Christians and Catholics can deny marriage within their religion to Jews, to divorced people, to gays, to Muslims, to Mexicans- they can deny marriage within the church to any group that they want to.

Just more fear mongering and lies by homophobes.

Conservative Christians and Catholics are not going to go along with abolishing the institution of marriage out of spite for same-sex marriage. The status between a married couple is much bigger than any contract that the couple can come up with themselves. For example, a spouse is legally the next of kin, a spouse gets pensions and social security benefits after the earning spouse dies, spouses can file joint taxes and joint bankruptcy, a spouse is responsible for all the debts incurred by the other spouse, including medical care, spouses are legally required to support each other, etc.

Also, I am a married man and abolishing marriage is a personal attack on my status and the status of my wife, and this goes deeper than man-made law. Marriage is a sacrament of the Catholic Church, and in Genesis it says that a man and wife become one flesh in the eyes of God, and the bond is not broken until death.

As for "abolishing marriage" ...I never said that. Surely, the relationship between you and your wife is not dependent on a document from the State, is it? Of course not... you presented a very eloquent quote from the Bible which proves it's not. Your marriage will survive not having the State bless it.

My wife and I are legally married.

You propose to end our legal marriage- indeed to ban us from having a legal marriage in the United States.

My relationship with my wife will of course endure- it just would no longer be 'marriage' any more than two people people who have chosen to be life partners without marriage are married.

You want to take marriage away from millions of Americans.

Just to deny marriage to gay couples.

How amazingly sick and depraved.

There is nothing wrong with legal homo marriage as long as it's between a homo man and a lesbian. That scenario can procreate so the protection of legal marriage is valid.
Is the marriage of two elderly people invalid? Is procreation a requirement of marriage? Your argument falls on its face.

You just love bringing up the elderly and disabled.

Tell me exactly how many same sex couples can not procreate within their unions because of reproductive disabilities or advanced age?

Here's a clue, 0% and still not a single child ever born by same sex coupling.

True Story

Poor Pop.

Still dragging out his straw man and trying to find someone to dance with it.

The thing is, same-sex marriage has thrown a giant wrench at our society, and we don't know yet how much collateral damage it will cause. The Supreme Court should have allowed the states to decide this issue. Now we know that once again, the desires of the American people do not matter. Only liberals matter.

What 'giant wrench' Blackrook?

How has the decision hurt your marriage in particular? You thinking of leaving your wife now?

Doesn't hurt my marriage- or the marriage of anyone I know.

The Supreme Court has overturned unconstitutional marriage laws 3 times before- this just makes it the 4th time.

And of course the Supreme Court is following the 'desires of the American people'- since most Americans now favor same gender marriage.

Roughly 60% of Americans favor same gender marriage- and to conservatives like yourself- the desires of the American people- especially the desires of Americans who happen to be homosexuals- do not matter. To you- only your own opinion matters.

Boss, this is not going to happen, so there is no further use in discussing it.

LOL... Oh, okay... since you say it's not I guess I'll shut up! NOT!

Hate to break it to ya but it's already happening. Alabama passed it but needed a supermajority because it wasn't part of the governor's agenda. It will pass next session. It's also being introduced in several other states. This is going to be what you see happening all over America. If you want to stick your head in the sand or live in denial, that's fine... it is happening though.

LOL- it is always hard for me to tell when you are lying again- or just ignorant again.

The law Alabama may pass just eliminates marriage licenses- but Alabamans will still be legally marrying- both straights and gays.

Just the delicate feelings of Christians who have to handle marriage licenses of gay couples will not be so offended if the law passes.

Frankly I have no problem with the law- probably will screw up the legal system in Alabama but that is not a problem for me- since Alabamans- straight or gay- will be able to marry legally- and Alabama will continue to recognize marriages- gay or straight- its fine with me.

The thing is, same-sex marriage has thrown a giant wrench at our society, and we don't know yet how much collateral damage it will cause. The Supreme Court should have allowed the states to decide this issue. Now we know that once again, the desires of the American people do not matter. Only liberals matter.

How has the decision hurt your marriage in particular? You thinking of leaving your wife now?

The Supreme Court has overturned unconstitutional marriage laws 3 times before- this just makes it the 4th time.

And of course the Supreme Court is following the 'desires of the American people'- since most Americans now favor same gender marriage.

Roughly 60% of Americans favor same gender marriage- and to conservatives like yourself- the desires of the American people- especially the desires of Americans who happen to be homosexuals- do not matter. To you- only your own opinion matters.
Oh go fuck yourself. You and I both know the American people were not consulted on gay marriage. The Supreme Court just smashed the Constitution and the law to make this lawless decision. The result will be increasing chaos and contempt for the law.

Yes, I’ve heard that said before….mostly by people who have not really thought it through, who have not really considered what that would look like.

I've thought it through and I agree with myself. :D

It will look like this... ____________________________________.

Where there was once State sanctioning of marriages gay and straight, there would be no marriages gay or straight. At least not sanctioned by the state. Individuals can call whatever they like "marriage" and it's not anyone's business.
Yea we know ...not workable, not possible, not happening

Yep... workable, possible, already happening.

What you propose could be workable- but won't be. It is possible- but it won't happen. And it isn't happening anywhere in the United States- not now- not in the forseeable future.

Oh go fuck yourself. You and I both know the American people were not consulted on gay marriage. The Supreme Court just smashed the Constitution and the law to make this lawless decision. The result will be increasing chaos and contempt for the law.

You and I both know that the American people are not consulted when it comes to deciding the constitutionality of State laws- that is why the Supreme Court overturned Loving v. Virginia without asking the American people their opinion first.

You were the one who whined that the Supreme Court was ignoring 'the desires of the American people'- but it is you who demands we ignore the desires of the American people. The Supreme Court is actually behind American opinion.
http://www.pollingreport.com/civil.htm
As of September 2015- 55% of Americans favor same gender marriage- 38% oppose.

Why are you against the desires of Americans when it comes to marriage?

The State isn't going to have any kind of marriages, the State doesn't need to get married. But thanks for confirming this arrangement doesn't effect you, I was concerned about that. Since the Federal government doesn't sanction marriage I'm not too worried about what they recognize.

No that's not what the bill did.

The bill didn't eliminate Civil Marriage in Alabama, I provided a link that showed that, ignoring it doesn't change reality.

Alabama was still going to have Civil Marriage, the only thing that was changing was changing it from the "license" issued by the state to a "form" filed with the government. At th

At end of the day Civil Marriage was still there, it would still be recognized across state lines, and it would still be valid for Federal purposes.

And yes, the recognition of Civil Marriage is very important to the men and women of the military since (Of which as a retiree I'm one) such recognition means their spouses get on the base, have access to the Commissary, have access to military medical facilities, spouse co-location for PCS moves, etc. Let alone all the other aspects of Federal recognition.

Here is a link to the proposed legislation -->> http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/alison/searchableinstruments/2015SS/bills/SB21.htm

Marriage still existed and functioned the same, the difference was how marriage was entered into.

>>>>

Just more examples of how Boss is willing to have married Americans harmed- just so he can harm homosexuals married couples.

The only problem with Boss' solution is that it is hurts everyone, and benefits no one.

The only problem with Boss' solution is that it is hurts everyone, and benefits no one.

And that is a pretty big problem.

But Boss is good with a solution that hurts everyone, benefits no one- just so long as it denies legal marriage to gay couples.

There is nothing wrong with legal homo marriage as long as it's between a homo man and a lesbian. That scenario can procreate so the protection of legal marriage is valid.
Is the marriage of two elderly people invalid? Is procreation a requirement of marriage? Your argument falls on its face.

You just love bringing up the elderly and disabled.

Tell me exactly how many same sex couples can not procreate within their unions because of reproductive disabilities or advanced age?

Here's a clue, 0% and still not a single child ever born by same sex coupling.

True Story
You are presuming there is a legal obligation on the married couple to procreate. Where is this a law?
The reality of the possibility is the determining element. Like having to purchase car insurance for your registered car even if you have no plans to drive.

The State isn't going to have any kind of marriages, the State doesn't need to get married. But thanks for confirming this arrangement doesn't effect you, I was concerned about that. Since the Federal government doesn't sanction marriage I'm not too worried about what they recognize.

No that's not what the bill did.

The bill didn't eliminate Civil Marriage in Alabama, I provided a link that showed that, ignoring it doesn't change reality.

Alabama was still going to have Civil Marriage, the only thing that was changing was changing it from the "license" issued by the state to a "form" filed with the government. At th

At end of the day Civil Marriage was still there, it would still be recognized across state lines, and it would still be valid for Federal purposes.

And yes, the recognition of Civil Marriage is very important to the men and women of the military since (Of which as a retiree I'm one) such recognition means their spouses get on the base, have access to the Commissary, have access to military medical facilities, spouse co-location for PCS moves, etc. Let alone all the other aspects of Federal recognition.

Here is a link to the proposed legislation -->> http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/alison/searchableinstruments/2015SS/bills/SB21.htm

Marriage still existed and functioned the same, the difference was how marriage was entered into.

>>>>

I've never said a thing about getting rid of civil marriages. You can link the legislation and give me your spin on it all day long, the state was no longer going to license or sanction marriage. When you say "Alabama would still have marriages" what the hell does that mean? The State of Alabama doesn't have marriages, states do not get married. Will marriages still happen within the state? Sure... no one ever suggested we're going to try society without civil marriage. The issue is state recognition of marriage through a licensing process and that was going to end and it will end. This has nothing to do with recognizing marriage licenses issued in other states, that has also been settled by SCOTUS and is not in question.

But thank you again for confirming that this doesn't bother you and isn't a problem for you. It's important that you remain content as you watch this idea spread across the country in every state. Just keep telling yourself that it doesn't harm your gay marriage for the state to not sanction it.

As for your problems in the military, that is not a concern of the State of Alabama or any other state. If some other entity requires a marriage license issued from Alabama they're going to be shit outta luck. If you feel the need to federalize gay marriage you need to get cracking on a new Constitutional amendment because that's the only way this is going to happen. As it stands, states retain the right to license and sanction marriage... or to NOT license and sanction marriage.

Yes, I’ve heard that said before….mostly by people who have not really thought it through, who have not really considered what that would look like.

I've thought it through and I agree with myself. :D

It will look like this... ____________________________________.

Where there was once State sanctioning of marriages gay and straight, there would be no marriages gay or straight. At least not sanctioned by the state. Individuals can call whatever they like "marriage" and it's not anyone's business.
Yea we know ...not workable, not possible, not happening

Yep... workable, possible, already happening.

What you propose could be workable- but won't be. It is possible- but it won't happen. And it isn't happening anywhere in the United States- not now- not in the forseeable future.

It already happened in Alabama and it passed. Due to a really stupid Wallace-era law, the bill required a super majority because it wasn't on conservative governor Bentley's agenda. Rest assured, it will be on the governor's agenda next session and it will again pass and become state law. Other states are also preparing legislation similar in nature and it doesn't matter if you are in denial of this.

Sounds like you should take contentment lessons from worldwatcher on this. Just keep telling yourself it will not harm your gay marriage for the State of Alabama not to sanction or issue a license for it. Because that is what is about to happen and not only in Alabama.

You want to take marriage away from millions of Americans.

Just to deny marriage to gay couples.

How amazingly sick and depraved.

I don't want to take marriage away from anyone. If you want to say you're married to your mailbox, I am fine with that! I want everyone to have the right to call anything they want "marriage" and for the state and federal government to not be involved with that. If you think that is sick and depraved, I hate it for you but it doesn't bother me. I wish you could be less bigoted and more open minded but I accept that many people in society are like this and I have to tolerate you. What I don't have to tolerate is my state sanctioning gay marriage.

You don't think that the majority of the court was aware of, or was influenced by the opinion polls? Or is it that you don't believe those polls? In any case.....You say "they should have left it to the states"? Really? Are you familiar with the 14th amendment which, in part extends the reach of the bill of right to the states? Do you understand that whatever powers that the states retain, must me exercised within the framework of the entire constitution. This "leave it to the" states thing is just used by those who really did not want marriage equality at all, and who know it would never come to many states had it been left to them, but who can't be honest and say that they do not want equality.

You say they "smashed the constitution"?Really? How so? I don't suppose that you read the Obergefell decision....did you? There are very sound constitutional underpinnings.

"Thrown a wrench into society"? "Collateral damage"? Care to elaborate on any of that? What dire predictions are you harboring. What ills will befall society? Let's not get too dramatic or delusional now.

Last edited:
You don't think that the majority of the court was aware of, or was influenced by the opinion polls?

Dear Lord! ...The function of the supreme court is NOT to base opinions and rulings on polls! If that's the case, we don't need a fucking SCOTUS! We can let Gallup and Pew Research determine what is or isn't "Constitutional" based on a fucking poll! Why do we need a court?

This is the dumbest thing I've read from a liberal today. Really? You were serious?

You don't think that the majority of the court was aware of, or was influenced by the opinion polls?

Dear Lord! ...The function of the supreme court is NOT to base opinions and rulings on polls! If that's the case, we don't need a fucking SCOTUS! We can let Gallup and Pew Research determine what is or isn't "Constitutional" based on a fucking poll! Why do we need a court?

This is the dumbest thing I've read from a liberal today. Really? You were serious?
Get real Boss Man. I didn't say that the decision was based on opinion, now did I? However, they, unlike you, are not living in a bubble. They had to have asked themselves if the American people were ready for it. They had to consider how it would play out. They are actually human beings you know. And yes, the applied constitutional law to the matter.

Interesting and revealing choice of words for this thread 'killing homosexual marriage.' Not 'ending' or 'repealing' but 'killing.'

Forum List

Back