Keeping the faith with the West.

Woodznutz

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2021
Used my dishwater to flush the toilet last evening. Good practice for the coming Midwest drought. :biggrin:

Greywater recycling ... yeah, new laws and building codes have been being considered in California for decades now ... obviously no progress on that front ... not sure what the problem is ...

Washing machine discharge is another source of greywater ... and this equipment is really hard on septic tanks ... better running the discharge out onto your lawn or something ...

Dryers are energy hogs ... why they mostly require a 220 VAC plugin ... and we can hang our laundry on a clothes line and let the sun dry them ... solar energy works ...

Greywater recycling ... yeah, new laws and building codes have been being considered in California for decades now ... obviously no progress on that front ... not sure what the problem is ...
Municipal sewage systems need lots of water to function properly, so they can't starve it of needed water.
Washing machine discharge is another source of greywater ... and this equipment is really hard on septic tanks ... better running the discharge out onto your lawn or something ...
This water should go to the sewer system.
Dryers are energy hogs ... why they mostly require a 220 VAC plugin ... and we can hang our laundry on a clothes line and let the sun dry them ... solar energy works ...
In cold climes (filtered) dryer exhaust can help heat and humidify a building.

Municipal sewage systems need lots of water to function properly, so they can't starve it of needed water.

This water should go to the sewer system.

In cold climes (filtered) dryer exhaust can help heat and humidify a building.

You must be a flatlanding city-slicker ... out in the country, there is no sewer system ... I'm shocked you don't know that ...

Typical First-Worlder reaction ... "we have to dump clean fresh pure water down out drains or the sewage plant will stop working" ... then why the hell did you pour old dish water down your toilet? ... hypocrite ...

You must be a flatlanding city-slicker ... out in the country, there is no sewer system ... I'm shocked you don't know that ...
Those with septic systems are generally very careful with wastewater; been there, done that. Most however, are connected to a municipal sewer system.
Typical First-Worlder reaction ... "we have to dump clean fresh pure water down out drains or the sewage plant will stop working" ... then why the hell did you pour old dish water down your toilet? ... hypocrite ...
As I said, I'm practicing for the coming drought in my area. Most here will ignore calls for water conservation (this is a liberal, college town), so there will plenty of water in the municipal sewer system.

Used my dishwater to flush the toilet last evening. Good practice for the coming Midwest drought. :biggrin:
Unless you wash your dishes in the bathroom, it might be more convenient to use your shower/bathwater. Our Florida house is on well water, so no power - no water. When prepping for a hurricane, we always seal the drains one way or another and fill the tubs. My wife and I, though, always have a debate as to whether it is more efficient to pour the bath water into the bowl or fill the tank and use the flush mechanism. I support the latter, and with the tank lid off, suggest closing the flapper by hand as soon as it is clear the toilet will complete the flush.

He did not say "clean fresh pure water" and he was responding to a comment about dishwasher discharge.

He did not say "clean fresh pure water" and he was responding to a comment about dishwasher discharge.

... and I commented how laws and building codes should be modified to allow for greywater usage ... especially in places prone to droughts ... like Phoenix ... too late now for them, but it's not too late for the OP ...

... and I commented how laws and building codes should be modified to allow for greywater usage ... especially in places prone to droughts ... like Phoenix ... too late now for them, but it's not too late for the OP ...
And not too late to admit your mistake.

It all goes down the same drain. No need for new laws.

Unless you wash your dishes in the bathroom, it might be more convenient to use your shower/bathwater. Our Florida house is on well water, so no power - no water. When prepping for a hurricane, we always seal the drains one way or another and fill the tubs. My wife and I, though, always have a debate as to whether it is more efficient to pour the bath water into the bowl or fill the tank and use the flush mechanism. I support the latter, and with the tank lid off, suggest closing the flapper by hand as soon as it is clear the toilet will complete the flush.
I have a bucket in the tub to catch some of my shower water. Also, my bathroom is just around the corner from the kitchen. I'm not going to do this routinely. I just want to see how practical it would be if needed.

I have a bucket in the tub to catch some of my shower water. Also, my bathroom is just around the corner from the kitchen. I'm not going to do this routinely. I just want to see how practical it would be if needed.
I'm not sure I would ever consider moving significant quantities of water by hand to be "practical". It's a royal f-ing pain in the ass.

I'm not sure I would ever consider moving significant quantities of water by hand to be "practical". It's a royal f-ing pain in the ass.
I'm not moving 'significant' quantities of water. However, if done widely even small amounts add up to large amounts. Reducing, and reusing, water is actually pretty easy.

"If we each do a little, we can all do a lot."

Forum List

Back