Keep that Atheism to Yourself

If a high school football coach had insisted his players say "Allah Akbar" before a football game, what do you think the reaction would be?

Entirely different. I know for a fact that people have an ingrained fear of offending a Muslim, based on a conception they are exactly alike to the terrorists overseas.

You're damn right that the reaction would be different. People like Pamela Gellar and Debbie Schussel would accuse the coach or terrorism, and they'd be a hundred threads on this message board full of Christians calling for the coach to be fired and ranting about how Mohammed was a pedophile.

Sorry, now you're the one broadbrushing. What you don't understand is that I support the religious rights of everyone, NOT JUST MY OWN, that also includes your views. You won't see me making threads about stuff like that. It doesn't suit me. Those who make such comments about Muslims are childish. And I have been seen here defending the rights of Muslims here in America.

Just who are Pamela Gellar and Debbie Schussel? Are you assuming I know who they are?

So now you know what it feels like to the "liberals" and "atheists" that you constantly assign opinions to.

How do I "assign opinions?" A person's opinion is their own. Speak plainly.

When you say anything like "liberals do...." or "atheists say...", you are assigning opinions to liberals and atheists as a whole.

Entirely different. I know for a fact that people have an ingrained fear of offending a Muslim, based on a conception they are exactly alike to the terrorists overseas.

You're damn right that the reaction would be different. People like Pamela Gellar and Debbie Schussel would accuse the coach or terrorism, and they'd be a hundred threads on this message board full of Christians calling for the coach to be fired and ranting about how Mohammed was a pedophile.

Sorry, now you're the one broadbrushing. What you don't understand is that I support the religious rights of everyone, NOT JUST MY OWN, that also includes your views. You won't see me making threads about stuff like that. It doesn't suit me. Those who make such comments about Muslims are childish. And I have been seen here defending the rights of Muslims here in America.

Just who are Pamela Gellar and Debbie Schussel? Are you assuming I know who they are?

So now you know what it feels like to the "liberals" and "atheists" that you constantly assign opinions to.

When you say anything like "liberals do...." or "atheists say...", you are assigning opinions to liberals and atheists as a whole.

So, just because I supposedly did it makes it okay for you to do it? Weren't you just asking me that same question?

Pamela Gellar and Debbie Schussel are well known right wing anti-Islamic pundits.

Then you will see me going nowhere near their opinions.

Wait, didn't you say that it was your responsibility to call them and their supporters out?

There are plenty of posters here that expose the same views as Gellar and Schussel on a daily basis. You better get on that, it's going to take you a while to call them all out.

So, just because I supposedly did it makes it okay for you to do it? Weren't you just asking me that same question?

Well, I actually didn't do any "broadbrushing".

Go back to my post and you'll see.

Wait, didn't you say that it was your responsibility to call them and their supporters out?

I already have. Reference my conversations with a user named "protectionist." I tore him apart in one of his anti-Islam threads. I remember it distinctly. He wanted members of Islam to be shuttled out of America, according to his twisted belief that some federal law called for it. I did not endorse it then, nor do I now.

Last edited:

"People like Pamela Gellar and Debbie Schussel would accuse the coach or terrorism, and there'd be a hundred threads on this message board full of Christians calling for the coach to be fired and ranting about how Mohammed was a pedophile."

Unless I'm wrong of course. You did make a rather broad generalization.

Clarify.

You've accused me, and liberals as a whole, of not "calling out" the atheists who are mean to you, and used that as justification for broadbrushing all "liberals".

So, when I tried to point out that it's not my responsibility to seek out and condemn people that you've arbitrarily assigned to the same group as me by asking you if you believe it was your responsibility to call out every Christian you disagree with, you responded that it was.

So now I'm pointing you towards some people that you've said you feel responsible for speaking out against.

Clarify.

You've accused me, and liberals as a whole, of not "calling out" the atheists who are mean to you, and used that as justification for broadbrushing all "liberals".

So, when I tried to point out that it's not my responsibility to seek out and condemn people that you've arbitrarily assigned to the same group as me by asking you if you believe it was your responsibility to call out every Christian you disagree with, you responded that it was.

So now I'm pointing you towards some people that you've said you feel responsible for speaking out against.

See my edit.

"People like Pamela Gellar and Debbie Schussel would accuse the coach or terrorism, and there'd be a hundred threads on this message board full of Christians calling for the coach to be fired and ranting about how Mohammed was a pedophile."

"People like Pamela Gellar" isn't broadbrushing, the only distinctive characteristic of Gellar and Schussel is that they intensely hate Islam.

And I didn't say that "Christians would all post...", I said that the thread would be full of Christians, because it would be. I could even name the specific Christians who it would likely be, if you want.

I already have. Reference my conversations with a user named "protectionist." I tore him apart in one of his anti-Islam threads. I remember it distinctly. He wanted members of Islam to be shuttled out of America, according to his twisted belief that some federal law called for it. I did not endorse it then, nor do I now.

Well, that's one down. Still got probably 100 or so to go.

Better get on it.

"People like Pamela Gellar" isn't broadbrushing, the only distinctive characteristic of Gellar and Schussel is that they intensely hate Islam.

And I didn't say that "Christians would all post...", I said that the thread would be full of Christians, because it would be. I could even name the specific Christians who it would likely be, if you want.

"Be full of Christians" or "Christians would all post." I don't see much of a difference.

You were implying that any Christian on this board would come calling for his termination, Doc. You did not name any in particular.

Well, that's one down. Still got probably 100 or so to go.

Better get on it.

Actually, I don't need to. I bet he and all of his far left supposedly Christian friends read that thread. Therefore, I addressed them all in one fell swoop. Now ditch your sarcasm, Doc.

"Be full of Christians" or "Christians would all post." I don't see much of a difference.

You were implying that any Christian on this board would come calling for his termination, Doc. You did not name any in particular.

No, I was NOT implying that "any" Christian would be in the thread. I was implying that some specific Christians would be. I chose my words carefully.

Which side would that be?

At least between the two of us, you seem to have more of an issue with it than I do.

I resent the fact that atheists don't suffer from the same persecution and ridicule that Christians do. I resent that Atheists use the government to repress the religious expression of those particularly belonging to the Christian faith. You can argue about the nuances, but this I have seen with my own eyes.

First of all, this has nothing to with what I posted.

Secondly, give up the poor persecuted Christians nonsense. It's just silly. Christians are not be persecuted by atheists any more than atheists are being persecuted by Christians.

I directly addressed it. "You seem to have more of an issue with it than I do." I just explained why I do have an issue with it. Please read more carefully, sir.

And, you can look to the implementation of Obamacare and its abortion mandate. Our government bore down on those of faith to provide for a procedure that went against their religious beliefs. A school in my state caved in to the complaints of an Atheist group who sued and had them remove a monument at the entrance of their football field.

Here's more for you. A Colonel in the US Military has his column removed for mentioning "Faith", "Jesus,":

Does the military have a problem with Jesus Fox News

In Houston, openly gay mayor Annise Parker tried to subpoena the sermons of five pastors. She caved under pressure and backed down.

In the State of Idaho, the government there told pastors to perform gay weddings or go to jail. They then backed off (tell me doc, do you see the government telling Atheists to convert to Christianity or go to jail?).

Last month, Twitter censored a faith based campaign, Faith Based Consumer and its petition asking Houston Mayor Annise Parker to rescind subpoenas of Pastors sermons. As with the others, they reversed the block.

In California, seven Churches were forced to provide abortion coverage. They have since filed a Federal Civil Rights appeal.

In New York, a high school prevents 20 teens from forming a Christian themed club, two years running. Again, they were forced to reverse their decision.

In Arizona, a high school football coach is suspended for two weeks for holding prayers with his team.

That all happened within the past oh, two and a half months. So, how are Atheists persecuted in this manner?

None of those are examples of Christians being "persecuted" - and I'd avoid using Todd Starnes as a source if I were you, he's a nutjob with a proven track record of lying who has made a career out of playing the "persecuted Christians" card. It'd be the same as me using Louis Farrakhan as a source to "prove" that all white people are evil.

Christians don't have some special right that allows them to break laws or force publications to publish their opinions.

But they are given tacit permission to trespass at will. Even non-fundies will support and/or defend groups of them, spreading out through entire neighborhoods, forcing their publications on people who are too well bred and polite to do what they would like to do.

Yes, they are. It's called freedom of speech. If you don't want the publication, don't take it. If you don't want to listen to them, don't listen. If you want to tell them why they are wrong, tell them. You have the same rights as they do, even though there are people on both sides who would like to see that change. This is not a situation to bemoan, it is one to celebrate and defend.

I resent the fact that atheists don't suffer from the same persecution and ridicule that Christians do. I resent that Atheists use the government to repress the religious expression of those particularly belonging to the Christian faith. You can argue about the nuances, but this I have seen with my own eyes.

Secondly, give up the poor persecuted Christians nonsense. It's just silly. Christians are not be persecuted by atheists any more than atheists are being persecuted by Christians.

I directly addressed it. "You seem to have more of an issue with it than I do." I just explained why I do have an issue with it. Please read more carefully, sir.

And, you can look to the implementation of Obamacare and its abortion mandate. Our government bore down on those of faith to provide for a procedure that went against their religious beliefs. A school in my state caved in to the complaints of an Atheist group who sued and had them remove a monument at the entrance of their football field.

Here's more for you. A Colonel in the US Military has his column removed for mentioning "Faith", "Jesus,":

In Houston, openly gay mayor Annise Parker tried to subpoena the sermons of five pastors. She caved under pressure and backed down.

In the State of Idaho, the government there told pastors to perform gay weddings or go to jail. They then backed off (tell me doc, do you see the government telling Atheists to convert to Christianity or go to jail?).

Last month, Twitter censored a faith based campaign, Faith Based Consumer and its petition asking Houston Mayor Annise Parker to rescind subpoenas of Pastors sermons. As with the others, they reversed the block.

In California, seven Churches were forced to provide abortion coverage. They have since filed a Federal Civil Rights appeal.

In New York, a high school prevents 20 teens from forming a Christian themed club, two years running. Again, they were forced to reverse their decision.

In Arizona, a high school football coach is suspended for two weeks for holding prayers with his team.

That all happened within the past oh, two and a half months. So, how are Atheists persecuted in this manner?

None of those are examples of Christians being "persecuted" - and I'd avoid using Todd Starnes as a source if I were you, he's a nutjob with a proven track record of lying who has made a career out of playing the "persecuted Christians" card. It'd be the same as me using Louis Farrakhan as a source to "prove" that all white people are evil.

Christians don't have some special right that allows them to break laws or force publications to publish their opinions.

But they are given tacit permission to trespass at will. Even non-fundies will support and/or defend groups of them, spreading out through entire neighborhoods, forcing their publications on people who are too well bred and polite to do what they would like to do.

Yes, they are. It's called freedom of speech. If you don't want the publication, don't take it. If you don't want to listen to them, don't listen. If you want to tell them why they are wrong, tell them. You have the same rights as they do, even though there are people on both sides who would like to see that change. This is not a situation to bemoan, it is one to celebrate and defend.

I remember when liberals understood that defending the freedoms of those you don't agree with is part of the deal.

I agree. So why don't christians do that? Why don't christians celebrate and defend the religious rights of others as they demand and expect their own to be defended?

This isn't a rant on TemplarKormac. He's just a teenager who lives in a fantasy world of comic book heroes and video games. He's certainly not the only one who openly says he would take the rights away from others that he himself enjoys. We get this same anti-Constitution crap from self-described "christians" here every day.

Why are the christians here such an angry, miserable, hostile, entitled bunch of whiners? Christians here seem to hate everyone who doesn't fall into lockstep with them. Some actually wish death on anyone who dares to disagree with them. Recently, several celebrated the murder of a young man who was killed for practicing the oldest and most benign religion in the history of our planet - Wicca. They despise Jews, Muslims, Buddhists and have, in various threads, wished the worst on all of them. Some have gone so far as to wish Ebola on liberals and on our president.

Believing seems to make some christians very unhappy and defensive. They don't post about the serenity and peace it gives them. Instead, constantly harangue at others, beg for proof that their invisible, imaginary friend (and enemy - Let's not forget the devil) is real and demand that others be denied the Constitutional right to practice their own religion or lack of religion.

If (editorial) you are so unhappy with your faith, maybe you should look inward instead of attacking others for their beliefs.

I don't go door-to-door or accost people in public places to preach at them. That would be incredibly rude, hateful and intrusive. More than that, it would be completely disrespectful and insensitive to other people. Its not unreasonable to expect that same courtesy and respect from god-believers. You have hundreds of thousands of tax-free churches - you don't also get our schools, government property and my front porch.

Are all christians like what we read here? Are they all rude and hostile and defensive? I always say that I don't believe they are and that some really do get something positive from their beliefs but really, I don't know.

I don't grill people I know. I don't butt into their private and personal beliefs because what others choose to believe is none of my business. So, while I would hope not, for all I know, all christians are like what we see here.

So, why don't some christians respect the religious and personal freedom of others? Why must they constantly meddle in the most personal and private aspects of our lives? Why do they consistently oppose Constitutionally-guaranteed equality? Why do they demand religious freedom for themselves why supporting their own vicious brand of sharia law?

You're more than welcome to whatever you choose to believe.

Forum List

Back