Keep that Atheism to Yourself

Sounds good to me!

mardi-gras-2009-044.jpg
[/QUOTE
]

Actually you don't get "all of the Mardi Gras" as you are passing over the religious connotations.

All this does is re-enforce the general view that asshole atheists are smug pricks.

You resent anyone who has it better than you,

1st, quote function, learn it, use it, love it.

2nd: Resentment of people who have it better than you is a progressive trait, try again.

Sounds good to me!

mardi-gras-2009-044.jpg
[/QUOTE
]

Actually you don't get "all of the Mardi Gras" as you are passing over the religious connotations.

All this does is re-enforce the general view that asshole atheists are smug pricks.

Do not confuse your view with the general view. What you see as the general view is what you want to see.

Again.

Step 1: Learn to use quote properly
Step 2: ?????
Step 3: Profit!

Sounds good to me!

mardi-gras-2009-044.jpg

I suppose you will have live with the fact that some of those asshole atheists as well some others who are not atheists have had to be vigilant about keeping the christian Taliban from pressing their agenda of forced religion in the schools and in government institutions.

How does being an asshole during mardi gras do all that?

By putting it out in front of people. I love it.

As to being an asshole at Mardi Gras... seriously? Have you ever been to Mardi Gras?

Sounds good to me!

mardi-gras-2009-044.jpg

I suppose you will have live with the fact that some of those asshole atheists as well some others who are not atheists have had to be vigilant about keeping the christian Taliban from pressing their agenda of forced religion in the schools and in government institutions.

As to being an asshole at Mardi Gras... seriously? Have you ever been to Mardi Gras?

I've been to New Orleans 5 times but never during Mardi Gras.

Sounds good to me!

mardi-gras-2009-044.jpg

Well... I'm not sure about the religious significance of flashing your boobs for beads or drunks peeing in doorways, but I can tell you from my experience that being an asshole does not make one unique during the event.

Sounds good to me!

mardi-gras-2009-044.jpg

Rather dance with the sinners than cry with the saints......
The sinners have much more fun

I like the quote but going to go serious on you anyway.

The so-called christians are always ragging on about "sins" but really, most people don't do all that much sinning. Most of us just live our lives, don't much bother other people and only ask the same from others.

Some people consider one's thoughts "sinful". I don't.

I also note that some posters think that only atheists get drunk at Mardi Gras. Maybe they think wearing a talisman cross on one's neck keeps them sober. :rolleyes-41:

Well... I'm not sure about the religious significance of flashing your boobs for beads or drunks peeing in doorways, but I can tell you from my experience that being an asshole does not make one unique during the event.

Its not the asshole that can be annoying, its can be the flavor of asshole.

Yes, Mardi Gras is debauchery, but it has always been that way, even when the religious connotations were stronger. The gap has remained the same, the difference is the starting and ending point of the moral slide.

Sounds good to me!

mardi-gras-2009-044.jpg

A billy joel quote does not an argument make.

Nor, post-1980, a good song.

Yes, Mardi Gras is debauchery, but it has always been that way, even when the religious connotations were stronger. The gap has remained the same, the difference is the starting and ending point of the moral slide.

I'm not a Catholic so my perceptions may be skewed, but I failed to see any religious connotations at all. It was a hell of a party, I will give you. But it was about as religious as an easter egg hunt with college students trying to find miniature bottles of booze while stoned.

As to flavors of assholes, I suspect that is a matter of taste (sorry, couldn't resist). I think the guy blended right in. If anything, a little on the conservative side.

Sounds good to me!

mardi-gras-2009-044.jpg

The so-called christians are always ragging on about "sins" but really, most people don't do all that much sinning. Most of us just live our lives, don't much bother other people and only ask the same from others.

I also note that some posters think that only atheists get drunk at Mardi Gras. Maybe they think wearing a talisman cross on one's neck keeps them sober. :rolleyes-41:

The entire concept of sin is self-imposed. If one does not believe in sin, then one need not be concerned about it.

I'm not a Catholic so my perceptions may be skewed, but I failed to see any religious connotations at all. It was a hell of a party, I will give you. But it was about as religious as an easter egg hunt with college students trying to find miniature bottles of booze while stoned.

As to flavors of assholes, I suspect that is a matter of taste (sorry, couldn't resist). I think the guy blended right in. If anything, a little on the conservative side.

You do notice they clear the streets at the end of the last night, right?

Carnival/Mardi Gras is the last time you are supposed to have fun before lent. Granted it has been secularized, but the religious background is still there.

Did you really just write

Sounds good to me!

mardi-gras-2009-044.jpg

The entire concept of sin is self-imposed. If one does not believe in sin, then one need not be concerned about it.

I couldn't agree more.

Same with all the various gods, both good and evil.

Sounds good to me!

mardi-gras-2009-044.jpg

I couldn't agree more.

We use it at work all the time. I work in construction so yes, we are vulgar.

There are assholes, "ha ha" assholes, lazy assholes, screaming assholes, snippy assholes, passive aggressive assholes, etc. etc. etc.

Carnival/Mardi Gras is the last time you are supposed to have fun before lent. Granted it has been secularized, but the religious background is still there.

I wasn't at the last night, so no I didn't notice. Do they also close the bars?

I get that many festivals start out religous, but that is not what it is actually about now. Just as Halloween didn't start out being about kids getting candy and adults getting drunk. Frankly, I expect the real problem with the guy's sign is that the vast majority of the people around him didn't have a clue what the sign meant.

Sounds good to me!

mardi-gras-2009-044.jpg

I couldn't agree more.

Yes. It is exactly the same. All of these things are self-imposed. Unless you live in a theocracy. I am against theocracies.

I get that many festivals start out religous, but that is not what it is actually about now. Just as Halloween didn't start out being about kids getting candy and adults getting drunk. Frankly, I expect the real problem with the guy's sign is that the vast majority of the people around him didn't have a clue what the sign meant.

Promptly at the stroke of midnight at the end of Fat Tuesday, a mounted squad of New Orleans police officers make a show of clearing upper Bourbon Street where the bulk of out-of-town revelers congregate, announcing that Carnival is over, as it is the start of Lent, commencing with Ash Wednesday.

They don't shut down the bars, but the street party is over.

Promptly at the stroke of midnight at the end of Fat Tuesday, a mounted squad of New Orleans police officers make a show of clearing upper Bourbon Street where the bulk of out-of-town revelers congregate, announcing that Carnival is over, as it is the start of Lent, commencing with Ash Wednesday.

They don't shut down the bars, but the street party is over.

Well, the party can't go on forever.

Forum List

Back