'Just not true'

Five months into the swine flu here there was no rapid test for H1N1 and the tests they had were only 10-70% accurate depending on the test.-

How well can these tests detect the flu?
Rapid tests vary in their ability to detect flu viruses. Depending on the test used, their ability to detect 2009 H1N1 flu can range from 10% to 70%. This means that some people with a 2009 H1N1 flu infection have had a negative rapid test result. (This situation is called a false negative test result.) Rapid tests appear to be better at detecting flu in children than adults. None of the rapid tests currently approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) are able to distinguish 2009 H1N1 flu from other flu viruses.

Will my health care pr

Are you aware that H1N1 killed about the same amount of people in a year as COVID-19 did in a couple of months before it even takes off?

Why, I remember a time when you guys were calling Obama a failure because of it. That was cute. What was H1N1's mortality rate anyway?

According to the CDC, H1N1 killed about 12,500 people in the US in that first year. They also estimate that between 151,700-575,400 people died worldwide in that first year. According to the latest numbers from worldometers coronavirus update, there are 41,400 deaths worldwide. I'm not sure where you're getting the idea COVID-19 has killed the same number as H1N1 did in a year, unless you are trying to compare numbers to years after 2009.

we will pass the 12,500 number by mid-April, at the latest if the current rate holds.

Five months into the swine flu here there was no rapid test for H1N1 and the tests they had were only 10-70% accurate depending on the test.-

Rapid tests vary in their ability to detect flu viruses. Depending on the test used, their ability to detect 2009 H1N1 flu can range from 10% to 70%. This means that some people with a 2009 H1N1 flu infection have had a negative rapid test result. (This situation is called a false negative test result.) Rapid tests appear to be better at detecting flu in children than adults. None of the rapid tests currently approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) are able to distinguish 2009 H1N1 flu from other flu viruses.

Will my health care pr

Are you aware that H1N1 killed about the same amount of people in a year as COVID-19 did in a couple of months before it even takes off?

Why, I remember a time when you guys were calling Obama a failure because of it. That was cute. What was H1N1's mortality rate anyway?

According to the CDC, H1N1 killed about 12,500 people in the US in that first year. They also estimate that between 151,700-575,400 people died worldwide in that first year. According to the latest numbers from worldometers coronavirus update, there are 41,400 deaths worldwide. I'm not sure where you're getting the idea COVID-19 has killed the same number as H1N1 did in a year, unless you are trying to compare numbers to years after 2009.

we will pass the 12,500 number by mid-April, at the latest if the current rate holds.
Keep the dream alive, right?

Will my health care pr

Just stating the facts...when a weatherman says it is going to snow tomorrow that does not mean he is hoping it will snow.

are you really this fucking stupid?

Never mind, you do not need to answer.

Will my health care pr

Hopefully the rate falls. Whether it does or not, however, at this point COVID-19 has not killed nearly as many as H1N1 is estimated to have killed in 2009.

Will my health care pr

Just stating the facts...when a weatherman says it is going to snow tomorrow that does not mean he is hoping it will snow.

Um, you spewed your opinion, not facts. You made a prediction based on you wanting to score political points against Trump.

None of your prediction is considered a fact, moron.

Will my health care pr

Hopefully the rate falls. Whether it does or not, however, at this point COVID-19 has not killed nearly as many as H1N1 is estimated to have killed in 2009.

We have been told that they except the peak to be around April 15, we had been doubling every two days, but that seems to be slowing so that is a good sign. There is little doubt we will blow away the H1N1 numbers.

Will my health care pr

Um, you spewed your opinion, not facts. You made a prediction based on you wanting to score political points against Trump.

None of your prediction is considered a fact, moron.

I said at the current rate we would pass the H1N1 total, that is 100% fact. We were told that deaths would peak sometimes after the number of cases did, which we were told is expected around Apr 15th or so.

You are totally fucking clueless, all you know is that Trump is god and nothing else matter. The problem for you is that the numbers above came from Trump so now you cannot dispute them

The litany of policy errors, uninformed decisions, marginalization of medical expert advice, misinformation, failures to act proactively, and general lack of preparation is shocking.

Any other prez, were he not the leader of a cult like Trump, would have a favorable opinion poll rating below 30%.

Hogan is unfortunately beginning his political run for President 2024. He wants to appease some libs with his “Im taking on Trump” What he fails to realize us that he is losing Maryland conservatives like me with his candy ass approach

Will my health care pr

We know you are ghoulishly keeping track of the daily tab.

Hogan is unfortunately beginning his political run for President 2024. He wants to appease some libs with his “Im taking on Trump” What he fails to realize us that he is losing Maryland conservatives like me with his candy ass approach
So.......he's telling the truth and you don't like it. Thanks.

Francesa has been a Trumpleton from day one.

New York radio icon Mike Francesa lays into Trump over coronavirus response

President Donald Trump’s management of the coronavirus pandemic has cost him the on-air support of one of his most outspoken hometown defenders.

Mike Francesa, the longtime icon of New York sports talk radio, blasted the president on Monday with the type of tirade he typically reserves for the Knicks or Mets — accusing Trump of not funneling enough medical equipment to the current epicenter of the outbreak in the United States.

That's the best analogy I've seen trying to explain to Trumpleton's why their accusations are bullshit.

Will my health care pr

We never had exact figures. They extrapolated the total number of deaths from H1N1. Today, we have exact death counts. Studies indicate the deaths could have been as high as 18,000 deaths. There wasn’t even reliable testing.

Abstract
To calculate the burden of 2009 pandemic influenza A (pH1N1) in the United States, we extrapolated from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Emerging Infections Program laboratory-confirmed hospitalizations across the entire United States, and then corrected for underreporting. From 12 April 2009 to 10 April 2010, we estimate that approximately 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (8868-18,306) occurred in the United States due to pH1N1. Eighty-seven percent of deaths occurred in those under 65 years of age with children and working adults having risks of hospitalization and death 4 to 7 times and 8 to 12 times greater, respectively, than estimates of impact due to seasonal influenza covering the years 1976-2001. In our study, adults 65 years of age or older were found to have rates of hospitalization and death that were up to 75% and 81%, respectively, lower than seasonal influenza. These results confirm the necessity of a concerted public health response to pH1N1.

It wasn’t until June of 2010 there was a test that was 96% accurate! A year and a half after the first case here.

Confirmed diagnosis of pandemic H1N1 flu requires testing of a nasopharyngeal, nasal, or oropharyngeal tissue swab from the patient.[70] Real-time RT-PCR is the recommended test as others are unable to differentiate between pandemic H1N1 and regular seasonal flu.[70] However, most people with flu symptoms do not need a test for pandemic H1N1 flu specifically, because the test results usually do not affect the recommended course of treatment.[71] The U.S. CDC recommend testing only for people who are hospitalized with suspected flu, pregnant women, and people with weakened immune systems.[71] For the mere diagnosis of influenza and not pandemic H1N1 flu specifically, more widely available tests include rapid influenza diagnostic tests (RIDT), which yield results in about 30 minutes, and direct and indirect immunofluorescence assays (DFA and IFA), which take 2–4 hours.[72] Due to the high rate of RIDT false negatives, the CDC advises that patients with illnesses compatible with novel influenza A (H1N1) virus infection but with negative RIDT results should be treated empirically based on the level of clinical suspicion, underlying medical conditions, severity of illness, and risk for complications, and if a more definitive determination of infection with influenza virus is required, testing with rRT-PCR or virus isolation should be performed.[73] The use of RIDTs has been questioned by researcher Paul Schreckenberger of the Loyola University Health System, who suggests that rapid tests may actually pose a dangerous public healthrisk.[74] Nikki Shindo of the WHO has expressed regret at reports of treatment being delayed by waiting for H1N1 test results and suggests, "[D]octors should not wait for the laboratory confirmation but make diagnosis based on clinical and epidemiological backgrounds and start treatment early."[75]

On 22 June 2010, the CDC announced a new test called the "CDC Influenza 2009 A (H1N1)pdm Real-Time RT-PCR Panel (IVD)". It uses a molecular biology technique to detect influenza A viruses and specifically the 2009 H1N1 virus. The new test will replace the previous real-time RT-PCR diagnostic test used during the 2009 H1N1 pandemic, which received an emergency use authorization from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in April 2009. Tests results are available in four hours and are 96% accurate.[76]

So, we don’t know for sure how many were killed, and it was killing children predominantly.

Will my health care pr

We never had exact figures. They extrapolated the total number of deaths from H1N1. Today, we have exact death counts. Studies indicate the deaths could have been as high as 18,000 deaths. There wasn’t even reliable testing.

Abstract
To calculate the burden of 2009 pandemic influenza A (pH1N1) in the United States, we extrapolated from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Emerging Infections Program laboratory-confirmed hospitalizations across the entire United States, and then corrected for underreporting. From 12 April 2009 to 10 April 2010, we estimate that approximately 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (8868-18,306) occurred in the United States due to pH1N1. Eighty-seven percent of deaths occurred in those under 65 years of age with children and working adults having risks of hospitalization and death 4 to 7 times and 8 to 12 times greater, respectively, than estimates of impact due to seasonal influenza covering the years 1976-2001. In our study, adults 65 years of age or older were found to have rates of hospitalization and death that were up to 75% and 81%, respectively, lower than seasonal influenza. These results confirm the necessity of a concerted public health response to pH1N1.

It wasn’t until June of 2010 there was a test that was 96% accurate! A year and a half after the first case here.

Confirmed diagnosis of pandemic H1N1 flu requires testing of a nasopharyngeal, nasal, or oropharyngeal tissue swab from the patient.[70] Real-time RT-PCR is the recommended test as others are unable to differentiate between pandemic H1N1 and regular seasonal flu.[70] However, most people with flu symptoms do not need a test for pandemic H1N1 flu specifically, because the test results usually do not affect the recommended course of treatment.[71] The U.S. CDC recommend testing only for people who are hospitalized with suspected flu, pregnant women, and people with weakened immune systems.[71] For the mere diagnosis of influenza and not pandemic H1N1 flu specifically, more widely available tests include rapid influenza diagnostic tests (RIDT), which yield results in about 30 minutes, and direct and indirect immunofluorescence assays (DFA and IFA), which take 2–4 hours.[72] Due to the high rate of RIDT false negatives, the CDC advises that patients with illnesses compatible with novel influenza A (H1N1) virus infection but with negative RIDT results should be treated empirically based on the level of clinical suspicion, underlying medical conditions, severity of illness, and risk for complications, and if a more definitive determination of infection with influenza virus is required, testing with rRT-PCR or virus isolation should be performed.[73] The use of RIDTs has been questioned by researcher Paul Schreckenberger of the Loyola University Health System, who suggests that rapid tests may actually pose a dangerous public healthrisk.[74] Nikki Shindo of the WHO has expressed regret at reports of treatment being delayed by waiting for H1N1 test results and suggests, "[D]octors should not wait for the laboratory confirmation but make diagnosis based on clinical and epidemiological backgrounds and start treatment early."[75]

On 22 June 2010, the CDC announced a new test called the "CDC Influenza 2009 A (H1N1)pdm Real-Time RT-PCR Panel (IVD)". It uses a molecular biology technique to detect influenza A viruses and specifically the 2009 H1N1 virus. The new test will replace the previous real-time RT-PCR diagnostic test used during the 2009 H1N1 pandemic, which received an emergency use authorization from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in April 2009. Tests results are available in four hours and are 96% accurate.[76]

So, we don’t know for sure how many were killed, and it was killing children predominantly.
Almost none of this is true. For starters, we don’t have exact counts now either. You never have exact counts. Everything requires some extrapolation to account for deaths in people not treated or with those who have false negative studies.

Second, your paper quotes the roll out of a test for H1N1 in 2010. This was not the first test for H1N1 ever made. The first test kits began shopping from the CDC about two weeks after the very first case was identified.

Will my health care pr

Abstract

It was highly inappropriate for the Rabid Right media and Trumpybear himself to use the accumulated death totals at the six month mark during the H1N1 crisis as a sign of how wonderful Trumpybears response to the CIVID-19 virus is/was compared to his predecessor. Trumpyfans loved it because it denigrated President Obama. But now, I'm thinking they're not going to be really keen on using that crisis, and it's resolution, as an accurate measure of Mr. Wonderfuls' performance.

Will my health care pr

Abstract

Almost none of this is true. For starters, we don’t have exact counts now either. You never have exact counts. Everything requires some extrapolation to account for deaths in people not treated or with those who have false negative studies.

Second, your paper quotes the roll out of a test for H1N1 in 2010. This was not the first test for H1N1 ever made. The first test kits began shopping from the CDC about two weeks after the very first case was identified.
Not true? Really? Why not read the link at the cdc?
How will I know what strain of flu I have or if it’s 2009 H1N1 (formerly known as Swine Flu)?
You may not be able to find out definitively what flu virus you have. Currently available rapid influenza diagnostic tests cannot distinguish between 2009 H1N1 and seasonal influenza A viruses. Most people with flu symptoms this season will not require testing for 2009 H1N1 because the test results usually do not change how you are treated. As of September 2009, more than 99% of circulating influenza viruses in the United States are 2009 H1N1. Therefore, at this time, if your health care provider determines that you have the flu, you most likely have 2009 H1N1. As the season progresses, different influenza viruses may circulate and updated national information on circulating influenza viruses is available in the FluView U.S. Weekly Influenza Surveillance Report.
There are laboratory tests available that can tell the difference between 2009 H1N1 and other strains of flu, but these can take one to several days to provide results and this season, CDC has recommended that this testing be focused on 1) people who are hospitalized with suspected flu; 2) people such as pregnant women or people with weakened immune systems, for whom a diagnosis of flu will help their doctor make decisions about their care.

Why can’t I get a more accurate laboratory test to find out if I had flu or what kind of flu I had?
The most accurate laboratory tests, such as real-time reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction (rRT-PCR) are only available in certain laboratories, and these tests can take several days to obtain results. This season, CDC is focusing use of these tests on people who are hospitalized or for other reasons explained in the question “Who is being tested for flu this season?

Forum List

Back