Zone1 Juneteenth was not the end of slavery in the United States.

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas
That was the end of slavery in the Confederate States of America, a nation that was not the United States.

Texas, the last state to get full word of the victory of the United States over the Confederate States, was the site of the last freeing of slaves under the Emancipation Proclamation. Many who are not well-read in history believe that the Emancipation Proclamation freed slaves in the United States. Not at all, the United States was specifically exempted from that proclamation.

New Jersey finally banned slavery on January 23, 1866, well after the passage of the post-Civil War amendments.

The War Between the States was not that of a slave-holding nation attacking a slavery opposing nation. It was one slave nation invading another slave nation. If you want to be angry about a slave-holding nation rebelling against an anti-slavery nation, you will be closer to the mark by opposing the Texas Revolution.

Last edited:
That was the end of slavery in the Confederate States of America, a nation that was not the United States. Texas, the last state to get full word of the victory of the United States over the Confederate States, was the site of the last freeing of slaves under the Emancipation Proclamation. Many who are not well-read in history believe that they Emancipation Proclamation freed slaves in the United States. Not at all, the United States was specifically exempted from that proclamation.

New Jersey finally banned slavery on January 23, 1866, well after the passage of the post-Civil War amendments.

The War Between the States was not that of a slave-holding nation attacking a slavery opposing nation. It was one slave nation invading another slave nation. If you want to be angry about a slave-holding nation rebelling against an anti-slavery nation, you will be closer to the mark by opposing the Texas Revolution.
Uh oh, now you did it. Here comes JerseyTeenth day.

Slavery ended with the proclamation that the 13th Amendment was ratified in December 1865.

"Juneteenth" is nothing nationally, so naturally, Congress fell over themselves to make it a national holiday.

Boy, this musta been a winning thread. It only made it to 5 post and half besides this one are missing.

Yeah and America was not independent of the British on July 4th, 1776. So what's the point?

Oh well, here's post #9, you could legally own a slave until April 2010 in England.
I cannot locate that date relating to England or the United Kingdom. Please expand on it.

Got you. Though the trade was long since abolished and I think slaves freed throughout the United Kingdom, 2010 was when it became a criminal offense to keep a slave in anyplace under the United Kingdom. That is pretty interesting, and most would never suspect. I guess that 2010 date, was more influence by modern human trafficking for the sex trade than anything else, but I could be wrong on that, also. Thanks for the post. I don't watch that many video answers or editorials on here (as time-consuming compared to data and typed editorials), but I could not find that 2010 thing any other way, by search arguments I was using. Made me feel like I was losing my touch, not realizing I needed to use "criminal offense" in the argument. Thanks.

Forum List

Back