Judge rules in favor of a Safeway worker who was fired after trying to stop a shoplifter

horselightning

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2013
I thought Safeway was a unionized grocery store in California?

Why did Big Labor let this chica get canned in the first place?

Big business. Money always is more important than people.

wow rulling for the employee. maybe were getting a change here. its ridiculous there firing employees for trying to save their buisnesses.
I hope she gets a really big payday, with both compensatory and punitive damages, to teach Safeway a lesson.

I hope she gets a really big payday, with both compensatory and punitive damages, to teach Safeway a lesson.

If company policy says don't try to stop shoplifters, and you do, including being party to the shoplifter being physically assaulted, should you not be fired for that? The company can decide what to do about thieves, not the individual employee.

You DO realize that the company can be sued if they are assaulted while shoplifting and receive injuries, right? The case would be far more than the 500 dollars worth of stolen merchandise.

If they appeal, they'll win. It's clear cut. Company policy says don't do exactly what she did.

But a chink in the chain is she had clocked out at that time. So she was now just a regular shopper. So it can get whack.

Last edited:
I get the ruling but it's not an employees job to protect the company. They aren't there to help it grow or prosper.

If company policy says don't try to stop shoplifters, and you do, including being party to the shoplifter being physically assaulted, should you not be fired for that? The company can decide what to do about thieves, not the individual employee.

You DO realize that the company can be sued if they are assaulted while shoplifting and receive injuries, right? The case would be far more than the 500 dollars worth of stolen merchandise.

If they appeal, they'll win. It's clear cut. Company policy says don't do exactly what she did.

But a chink in the chain is she had clocked out at that time. So she was now just a regular shopper. So it can get whack.
Tell it to the EDD Judge. You support lawlessness and are part of the reason major store have to pull out of high crime areas. You support the criminals.

I'd let them walk off with the whole store. It's not my job to protect the store. That's on the store to supply a full time security person.

Actually they aren't "trying to save their businesses". They are only employees who were instructed as a condition of employment not to risk their lives trying to stop shoplifters. We live in a litigating society and some businesses would rather lose merchandise than risk a million dollar law suit as a result of an employee who was injured trying to stop a crime. It ain't right but that's the world we live in today.

I'd let them walk off with the whole store. It's not my job to protect the store. That's on the store to supply a full time security person.
The store might close under those ideas.. Not every store has full time security, nor can they necessarily even afford it. Then you would be out of a job.

Not anyone is shoplifting

Safeway should flee a state that allows shoplifters to sue their victims

Ramble on concerning that if you wish. Safeway wasn't concerned about the employees getting sued.

Tell it to the EDD Judge. You support lawlessness and are part of the reason major store have to pull out of high crime areas. You support the criminals.

No I don't. I support a business's right to make rules that their employees have to follow. After all, it's THEIR stuff that's being stolen. If they say "Don't worry about it, don't give chase, don't interfere", and an employee breaks that rule, they can be fired. I can promise the employee signed documents when they were hired that they agree to abide by all rules of that business.

I fully support the appeal of the business. It's sad that you don't support a business's right to make rules for the employees that THEY pay.

Post 13 I agree with 100%.

No I don't. I support a business's right to make rules that their employees have to follow. After all, it's THEIR stuff that's being stolen. If they say "Don't worry about it, don't give chase, don't interfere", and an employee breaks that rule, they can be fired.

I fully support the appeal of the business. It's sad that you don't support a business's right to make rules for the employees that THEY pay.
Good go with that.

Forum List

Back