Judge dismisses Nick Sandmann's libel suit against Gannett over viral Capitol incident

Coincidentally, two sets of lawyers gave advice to some major players in the field and came to a startlingly different opinion than yours.
Bad decision by CNN/WaPo from a defamation standpoint, but perhaps they considered the cost of litigation - including the inevitable revelations concerning their sleazy inner workings - and decided to make the kid go away by paying him off.

Just as the NFL did with Kaepernick
But I do agree to just disagree with you.
Sounds good. :)
And I hope that Sandman appeals and gets the dismissals overturned.
He would be a fool to do so as the court got it right.

Why would it cost them anything?
Lawyers don't do corporate work for free, and there was the non-monetary cost of having their sleazy inner workings revealed as the thing dragged through the courts.
If they win he pays them law fees
Some fees, but not the lion's share, and they'd have to collect, which would involve further cost, good money thrown after bad prior to likely selling his debt for pennies.

And the potential reputational damage a non-monetary cost as noted.

Easier to just pay the kid to go away as the NFL did with Kappy.

Hmmm...so all the hype..and the case is tossed..looks like Richie Rich is going to have to flip some burgers or something for his living. As an aside..how stupid do the WaPo, CNN and NBC look..settling a case that they would have won?

A federal judge has dismissed a massive libel lawsuit filed by former Kentucky high school student Nicholas Sandmann against Gannett, the parent company of USA TODAY, and other media organizations, saying they reported opinion protected by the First Amendment.
Sandmann had sued Gannett and five of its publications – USA TODAY, the Cincinnati Enquirer, the Detroit Free Press, the Louisville Courier Journal and the Tennessean –seeking $195 million. He argued he was defamed by their reports on his confrontation with Native American rights activist Nathan Phillips at the Lincoln Memorial in January 2019.
A video of Sandmann, then 16 and a student at Covington Catholic in Northern Kentucky, standing nose to nose with Phillips went viral and unleashed a firestorm of internet criticism that the student’s conduct was racially motivated, which Sandmann denied. Phillips was attending an “Indigenous People’s March” while Sandmann was walking in a “March for Life” event.
In all, Sandmann filed lawsuits against eight media organizations, including the New York Times, ABC News, CBS News and Rolling Stone magazine, seeking a combined $1.25 billion for their coverage of the event.
But U.S. Senior Judge William Bertelsman dismissed Sandmann's lawsuit against Gannett, the New York Times, ABC and CBS, holding Tuesday that Phillips’ statement that Sandmann “blocked him and wouldn’t allow him to retreat” – as reported by the media – was his opinion for which they could not be sued.
“The media defendants were covering a matter of great public interest, and they reported Phillips’s first-person view of what he experienced,” Bertelsman wrote, throwing out the suits.

The Washington Post, NBC and CNN had previously settled with Sandmann.

Nick is gonna be fine. He settled with several news agencies and papers.

Lawyers don't do corporate work for free, and there was the non-monetary cost of having their sleazy inner workings revealed as the thing dragged through the courts.

Some fees, but not the lion's share, and they'd have to collect, which would involve further cost, good money thrown after bad prior to likely selling his debt for pennies.

And the potential reputational damage a non-monetary cost as noted.

Easier to just pay the kid to go away as the NFL did with Kappy.
You’re grasping for air

Bad decision by CNN/WaPo from a defamation standpoint, but perhaps they considered the cost of litigation - including the inevitable revelations concerning their sleazy inner workings - and decided to make the kid go away by paying him off.

Just as the NFL did with Kaepernick

Sounds good. :)

He would be a fool to do so as the court got it right.
No. The court got it wrong. So it would be great if he appeals it. Plus, keep the exposure focused on our lying media.

No. The court got it wrong. So it would be great if he appeals it. Plus, keep the exposure focused on our lying media.
In the incredibly unlikely event any lawyer tries to appeal this, it will not succeed.

It's over, and the kid's been paid off by those early settlers to go away like Kappy.

Take note that I said this, and feel free to acknowledge in the future that I was right. :)

It's over.
Who are you again?

No one of course.

The case was dismissed against CNN and then reinstated, so this one will most likely be reinstated and if you say you are the sole authority over this then fuck off.

The individual has appeals and has the right to appeal, so no it ain’t over even if you like it to be for some reason.

Oh, I am a Liberal and wrote this!

In the incredibly unlikely event any lawyer tries to appeal this, it will not succeed.

It's over, and the kid's been paid off by those early settlers to go away like Kappy.

Take note that I said this, and feel free to acknowledge in the future that I was right. :)
I’ll acknowledge what you said now as being quite wrong.

You’re welcome. 👍

You do know the CNN and the other case were also dismissed, and then reinstated by the same exact Judge that dismissed those cases, so no you don’t know if it is over or not!

It was said last night on a major news station. I trust his word .. anything else?
Who is the his, in your statement of trusting his word? Sandmann wanted it to be confidential in the settlement amount..... In fact there were delays with courts during covid, when the court date could finally take place, he waited 3 months longer until 18 yrs old, to collect the money because at 17 he needed his parents as legal guardians and a court to turn the settlement over to a minor under the law, which would have made it open to public records, so he asked CNN IF they would wait to payout until after he turned 18 so he could keep it confidential and they agreed.

This indicates to me, that his settlement outside of court with CNN was no where close to what he was asking from them in his suit, and he did NOT want the other news outlets like Gannett, who he was suing, and still going to court on, to know the measly amount he got from CNN compared to what he asked for initially in his suit..... He likely thought he could get more, by going to court if those he was still suing, were not aware of what his settlement sum was....imo.

Who is the his, in your statement of trusting his word? Sandmann wanted it to be confidential in the settlement amount..... In fact there were delays with courts during covid, when the court date could finally take place, he waited 3 months longer until 18 yrs old, to collect the money because at 17 he needed his parents as legal guardians and a court to turn the settlement over to a minor under the law, which would have made it open to public records, so he asked CNN IF they would wait to payout until after he turned 18 so he could keep it confidential and they agreed.

This indicates to me, that his settlement outside of court with CNN was no where close to what he was asking from them in his suit, and he did NOT want the other news outlets like Gannett, who he was suing, and still going to court on, to know the measly amount he got from CNN compared to what he asked for initially in his suit..... He likely thought he could get more, by going to court if those he was still suing, were not aware of what his settlement sum was....imo.
Cool

Who are you again?
Irrelevant/fallacious inquiry.
No one of course.
Irrelevant/fallacious.
The case was dismissed against CNN and then reinstated, so this one will most likely be reinstated and if you say you are the sole authority over this then fuck off.

The individual has appeals and has the right to appeal, so no it ain’t over even if you like it to be for some reason.

Oh, I am a Liberal and wrote this!
It's over.

Yeah - he got 2 million or less from CNN/WaPo, and most of that went to lawyers/taxes.

So he made a few hundred thousand from them Kappy vs NFL-style - a nuisance they wanted to get rid of.

And that will do it; he is now a footnote.

Forum List

Back